• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MapMan

Brake options for 14 inch wheels

MapMan

Hi, new to this forum, can't believe I have not found it before!

I have a 205 XS road and targa rally car that is quite standard at present but I'm gradually improving a little bit at a time. Next on the list are brakes- I converted the front Bendix calipers to take vented discs with Ferodo DS2500 pads which has improved the braking but it is still not exactly confidence inspiring with little bite. 

I understand 1.9 GTi calipers won;t clear 14 inch wheels on a base model hub, does anybody have any ideas of what could be a potential improvement? Anybody tried Saxo/106 GTi calipers perhaps and whether this would be worth doing?

I particularly want to keep 14 inch wheels due to clearance when running gravel tyres on the back and for the gearing so I appreciate this is going to narrow the options.

Thanks in advance. 

welshpug

gti brakes clear a lot of 14" wheels  saxo/106/306 ate calipers will clear, same discs as a 1.9 gti.

266mm brakes will go under a lot of 14's too.

welshpug

or if you want to spend a bit Godspeed can do you 106 cup car AP's with belled discs thatll fit too.

Wallby

I have 1.9 gti calipers on base model hubs and they fit fine. I also use ds2500 pads and these combined with 'g-hook' discs from Godspeed work very well with good bite.

Also, check the adjustment of the rear drums if you still have them, found that that can make a big difference to pedal travel.

Edited by Wallby

PhilNW

If I remember right 14 inch speed line wheels fit over 1.9 calipers but SMR dont

welshpug

its not so much "over" but the hub area is a lot bulkier and hits the carrier I think with an SMR casting.

MapMan

Thanks for the replies, I think I will look out for a decent set of ATE calipers and give them a go. Good tip on the rear drums, cant remember when I last checked them apart from adjusting the handbrake.