• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

acox99

Period audio install 1FM esc

acox99

It’s something I’ve been thinking about doing for a long time. I’m using Alpine instead of Clarion as I’ve always liked Alpine and you can find good period units. I’ve already bought a 7618r headunit, and I’m looking at a 5959 changer, but I will use new Alpine speakers, undecided about a rear acoustic shelf yet. The headunit has no internal amp so I’m looking to run a period 4 channel amp and put it in a similar location under the dash to the 1FM cars. What I want to know is how the 1FM cars where wired. Did they use the original door looms due to the pins on the ph2 cars, or did the upgrade the whole lot. Also did they take the feed for the amp directly from the battery or did they use an unused permanent feed on the fuse box, along with a switched live? I’m still undecided weather to use a small Alpine underseat sub, but if I do I’m not sure how to link it in as I haven’t come across a 4 channel amp that has an audio out facility. Ive looked but there doesn’t seem to be a lot of info on the 1FM equipment apart from the bits I found on the 1FM site and on cRaigs build thread. 

barneys66

I can't comment on the 1FM stuff, but I installed the following Alpine gear (in my ex-wife's Smart Roadster) and the amp had an fifth channel / audio-out for the powered sub;

MRV-F450 5-Channel Amplifier 200w RMS
SWD-1600 Powered Subwoofer 150w RMS

It could also accept speaker-level inputs in case your chosen / future head unit doesn't have pre-outs.  Not small, but sounded superb.

Speakers used, due to confines of a Roadster, were;

SPR-13S 13cm / 5.25” Component door speakers, crossovers and tweeters
SPG-10C2 10cm / 4” rear speakers, mounted in shelf pods

Henry Yorke

Hi

I know exactly how it is all wired!

Power is from the normal head unit feed and split to the amp and head unit.

Feed to the speakers uses the standard loom with some jack plugs in the boot.

I have some exact 1FM wiring replicas that I have made up.  I have a spare set up which uses a head unit with an ISO connector too and the 1FM style amp.  2-Pugs makes the amp brackets too. I have a spare amp, wires and CDC 7500R or CDC6300R head unit which runs the standard 205 CDC 9250/9350 changer. STEE1FM makes the parcel shelf replicas too.

IMAG1058.thumb.jpg.23fbd81a6f355ed4c41a230120b7a29c.jpgIMAG1084.thumb.jpg.ac2dbe2db50db11783682210a13b1d9e.jpg10401908_10152856966389992_4643974364784826237_n.jpg.01213b021afb81641d401000a7746c4f.jpgWires.thumb.jpg.cae84db4c5c16a3f3ee6cae765df17df.jpg

• Like 2

acox99

Perfect, thank you very much. I was just unsure if the standard wiring was up to the job. I know there only small amps but sometimes they stipulate a perminant feed from the battery. 

What im doing is only along the lines off, using period audio and a small amp just not clarion. But I want to keep it looking oe as posssible. 

dobboy

I imagine the 1FM set up will get you just a slightly better sound than box standard. If i wanted better sounds in my 205 i'd be going for a decent (easily removable) under the seat sub-woofer.

I don't fancy drilling holes in panels for not much benefit even if spares are at hand.

If you want a 205 job you should think of something else imo!

Happypatrol on here has one of the big woofers in his standard 205 boot, and i was surprised how much better the car sounded.

Just reminded me and maybe have said before but, back in the day i installed a stolen high spec Pioneer head unit to my 205 one Saturday morning.... went shopping with the new GF (at the time), and whilst we were at the shops my passengers window got smashed, and the nicked stereo was stereo nicked!

Karma or what!

Fortunately my tools for work in the boot never got touched. 

The worse bit was we were in Glasgow and i had VIP tickets to see PULP in Edinburgh the same night.

Quick binbag repair job and deafened for a while down the M8 we went!

acox99

What are the chances! :D I wonder how many times more that stereo was nicked! 

I think your right, it’s never going to win any competitions. I am am looking at putting a small under seat sub/amp combo in as the 205 speakers are pretty small. I won’t be cutting any trim or loom like you say. 1 I don’t have spares and 2 it’s easily turned back to standard if I ever wanted to. I will do it with link looms like Henry suggested. 

allye
On 09/02/2018 at 5:49 PM, barneys66 said:

I can't comment on the 1FM stuff, but I installed the following Alpine gear (in my ex-wife's Smart Roadster) and the amp had an fifth channel / audio-out for the powered sub;

MRV-F450 5-Channel Amplifier 200w RMS
SWD-1600 Powered Subwoofer 150w RMS

It could also accept speaker-level inputs in case your chosen / future head unit doesn't have pre-outs.  Not small, but sounded superb.

Speakers used, due to confines of a Roadster, were;

SPR-13S 13cm / 5.25” Component door speakers, crossovers and tweeters
SPG-10C2 10cm / 4” rear speakers, mounted in shelf pods

How funny, I just got this all fired up in my van today plus two more speakers and it’s incredible! 

Conpletely unhelpful post sorry!

• Like 1

barneys66
12 minutes ago, allye said:

How funny, I just got this all fired up in my van today plus two more speakers and it’s incredible! 

Conpletely unhelpful post sorry!

Hey Ali - glad you're pleased with it !!  Happy tweaking.. :D

Henry Yorke

You would be surprised how good the 1FM sound actually is.  If you look closely at the spec it was 3 way front and 4way 6x9's in a proper acoustic shelf back in 1992. The head unit was £500+ back then.  The sound is very clear, detailed and balanced, loud but not vibrate everything loud.  However probably comparable to what you would get in a standard 208 today.

It depends what you listen to I guess, but playing the Radio 1 25th anniversary CD in it with Donna Summers - I Feel Love on it really brings out Giorgio Moroders excellence and is a great period driving song!

• Like 1

AlexRS2782

Thought i'd bump this thread, as it's fairly recent / on-topic, rather than start a new one.

What size front / rear speakers are you using to keep the standard door trims and / or what size are the standard fitment speakers in the 205?  The speakers have been dead in my car since circa '09 and I think it's time to at least get some working fronts back in whilst the wiring is being sorted to make use of the old retro Kenwood headunit that's sat in the car doing nothing.