• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
kostas205

Ignition Coil information

kostas205

s-l300.jpg

I have a 205 injection (1.1) which has a distributor ignition system.  What is the use of the ignition coil pins shown in the picture?

2 of them are for 12V battery supply and ground . What is the purpose of the remaining two? Ignition signal? Tachometer signal?

Thanks.

jackherer

It is effectively only two pins, two negative - and two positive +

++--

1 of the + pins is the 12v battery supply (via ignition key)

1 of the - pins is the pulsed ignition signal and the other - pin is the tacho signal.

If a fourth wire is connected it is usually for an optional interference suppressor.

kostas205

Thanks for the quick reply. Do you know which specific pin is used for each of the four purposes you mentioned?

For example pin1->12v, pin2->tachometer etc.

jackherer

Sorry I don't.

If the wire numbers are the same as a GTI then wire 2 is the ignition switched +12v and wire 112 is the tacho signal.

Also if you look at the connector on your coil you should see a + between two pins and a - between the other two.

48062.jpg

kostas205

Today I measured the values of the ignition coil pins. As you said the first two positive pins (1,2) produce 12V steady signal.

The two negatives (3,4) produce a pulse signal. Also the cable 112 is located at the 3rd pin. But as you can see in the picture

in pin3 there are two wires one green (112) and one orange. So my question is which is the ignition cable the orange one at pin3

or the green one at pin4? (Pin1 is the right-most and Pin4 left-most as you look at the picture).
Any ideas?

27946265_10213630957282293_1974174789_o.jpg

jackherer

I don't know sorry. If I had to guess I would think it is the orange wire and the extra green wire is for a suppressor to connect somewhere. Is there another connector on the loom near to the coil connector? Something like this?5a7f0a06c3400_ScreenShot2018-02-10at15_04_18.png.e2eaa9a7252b8d552365990f8d35d5b8.png

kostas205

Yes, it's exactly like this. The cable of this plug (which isn't connected anywhere) goes to pin1.
Kieran it's ok, I posted because someone else may know. Thanks anyway!

jackherer

The cable that doesn't go anywhere is for fitting an optional interference suppressor, a bit like this:

P1012446__84320.1465403514.220.220.JPG?c

The plug goes into it and the ring bolts to earth/ground. Unless you have radio interference you don't need it.

Can you see the wire numbers on the unidentified wires?

kostas205

I tried but I coudn't see any numbers, I will try again tommorow.

In the worst case I will cut them, and the one which will "kill" the engine will be

the ignition one. Right?

welshpug

what are you trying to do?   I would not cut any wires just to find what they do.

welshpug

20180210_171045.jpg

kostas205

I am trying to build a launch control. And I need to cut the ignition periodically, to implement a lower rev limiter.

welshpug

I would not bother on a 1.1!!! just fit better tyres, you havent the power to spin anything decent!!

kostas205

That is true but I am doing it as a dissertation for my academic degree.

kostas205

I just saw the picture. From this diagram the orange cable should be for the ignition.

Edited by kostas205