• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
wildejon

How to spot a catalytic converter

wildejon

Appreciate this might be a dumb question as I think you can simply look under the car and see if there is one in the middle of the exhaust but I am not certain so...

Is it possible to find out:

1. If the car should have a cat in place (It was  a 1.9 and registered in Aug 1991 so I don't think it has to)
  2. If it has one in place (I would be taking it to Germany and so it must have one)

Thanks!

Jon

Anthony

Yes you can look underneath - the catalyst will be underneath just behind the subframe.  This is in addition to the normal mid-silencer (roughly underneath the handbrake lever) and back box.

Catalyst was an option in '91 in the UK on 1.9 models.  Wasn't mandatory until late '92 on 1.9's.  1.6 GTI's never had a catalyst fitted.

Assuming that it's not been messed with, the engine management gives it away too (on UK models anyway) - Jetronic is non-CAT and Motronic is catalyst equipped.

Some online car checkers will show power - 122hp means it's a catalyst model.

• Thanks 1

wildejon

Super helpful. Thank you!

Miles

Yes only Low Comp 1.9 and the Motronic 205's had a CAT, the chassis number will confirm if it needs one or not reguardless of year