• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jack coots

Peugeot 205 XL gti conversion

Jack coots

I have a 1988 1.6 205 gti the floor panel rear quarter panels and sills have rotted away beyond repair. I have brought a 205 XL in immaculate condition with the hope of using all the bits off mine and turning it into a gti. I know the engine mount bracket is diffrent. I have noticed the front subframe mountings are diffrent. The XL has a rubber mount and the gti has a captive nut. Does this need to be changed if so does anyone know what the best thing to do is? Also are there any other differences on the two shells. 

Thanks in advance

Richie-Van-GTi

rear quarters will be the biggest problem as they are not the right shape for the gti arch extensions.

welshpug

unlikely you will need the whole quarter, only the bit above the sill up to the trim and the back edge of that is easy enough to make the right shape.

new sills are still available, and you can use the floors from a donor.

whilst this may seem a big job, I think it would be better than trying to make a base model look like a gti but it'll always be a base model rather than a restored GTI.

Gaz205
On 2 April 2018 at 11:30 AM, welshpug said:

unlikely you will need the whole quarter, only the bit above the sill up to the trim and the back edge of that is easy enough to make the right shape.

new sills are still available, and you can use the floors from a donor.

whilst this may seem a big job, I think it would be better than trying to make a base model look like a gti but it'll always be a base model rather than a restored GTI.

I agree with that, surely the gti can be repaired it doesn't sound too bad?