• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

IRISH_MI16

Mild xu9j4 upgrade ideas HELP!!!

IRISH_MI16

Hi everyone! 

I'm new here :)

I've got a phase 1 405 mi16 that I want to for lack of a better term wake it up a little more! With everything else I have to do with the car before pugfest So budget is a big thing.

What I'm thinking 

Gti6 intake manifold with ported and polished throttle body

Gti6 exhaust manifold

Omex ecu 

Coil pack conversion.

I've a couple of questions though. 

Will the gti6 exhaust manifold clear the firewall in a 405?

What else can I do that's not to extreme?

Where can I find A full wiring diagram for a phase 1 mi16. I need to tidy up the engine bay wiring and remove a few things too.

As for the engine I have further plans for later this year but that's a whole other story!

Thanks for reading 

dcc

Dont believe everything you read on the internet or get told at the pub.

The words 'Ported and polished' - eughhhhh... makes me shiver. You cannot do this to an inlet and expect it to make things better. 

Gti 6 manifold doesnt fit easily, deffo not a 405 (iirc the steering rack fouls) but more due to the bolt holes not lining up.

Best bet is a set of cams and vernier pullies.

Nonidea what wires you think you can remove? Peugeot didnt put random wires to make you think "oh i will remove them they arent needed"

Omex ecu? Why omex? Why get an ecu on a standard motor? Dont waste your money until you have engine mods.

Coil pack conversion. You already have a coil, if it works, why fix it?

Leave the mi16 inlet, fit an audi throttle body if you have air bypassing the throttle butterfly at idle, or get yours repaired/replaced for a good item.

Get the rotor arm and cap replaced.

If youre desperate to spend some money, buy a plate diff and refresh the suspension.

• Like 1

petert

Firstly, GTi6 exhaust manifold needs an adaptor/wedge plate to fit an XU9J4 head. Secondly, it will never fit an Mi16.  I'd fit a GTi6 inlet however, along with a inlet cam. I wouldn't bother with a new ECU until you go past entry level cam(s) and more CR. Just replace the chip. If in good working order, the standard ignition setup is perfectly adequate.  Far better off spending money elsewhere like diff, gearing, suspension etc.

My inlet cam and chip upgrade is a well proven, budget winner.

Edited by petert

my3AWDgst

Please do tell more about your inlet cam :-)

welshpug

Miles at Pugracing can do you a manifold that fits I believe.

petert
2 hours ago, my3AWDgst said:

Please do tell more about your inlet cam :-)

Taylor-eng.com

There is a dyno sheet on the ECU upgrade page.

IRISH_MI16
8 hours ago, dcc said:

Dont believe everything you read on the internet or get told at the pub.

The words 'Ported and polished' - eughhhhh... makes me shiver. You cannot do this to an inlet and expect it to make things better. 

Gti 6 manifold doesnt fit easily, deffo not a 405 (iirc the steering rack fouls) but more due to the bolt holes not lining up.

Best bet is a set of cams and vernier pullies.

Nonidea what wires you think you can remove? Peugeot didnt put random wires to make you think "oh i will remove them they arent needed"

Omex ecu? Why omex? Why get an ecu on a standard motor? Dont waste your money until you have engine mods.

Coil pack conversion. You already have a coil, if it works, why fix it?

Leave the mi16 inlet, fit an audi throttle body if you have air bypassing the throttle butterfly at idle, or get yours repaired/replaced for a good item.

Get the rotor arm and cap replaced.

If youre desperate to spend some money, buy a plate diff and refresh the suspension.

Wow' someone's a cranky giraffe.

Firstly I've already ported and polished the current throttle body and its a slight improvement on what it was.

I'll make another flange plate so it bolts up with the head and shorten and adapt the 6 manifold as necessary.

Did think about cams but by the looks of it against the other phase 1 that's near me mine has cams as it walked away from the other one.

I need the wiring diagram to clean up my engine bay. It's been bastardised to the high heavens in its 15years that it was off the radar. Cut and joined wires everywhere. It's a mess. Along with that there's some s*ity aftermarket alarm in it to that looks to be wired to the ecu 

The omex is future proofing for what I have in mind for this engine and car. I'll have to get it eventually and if one comes up at a reasonable price I see now reason not to get it and use it.

Coilpack conversion is again future proofing as I will have to do it at some point. Also the xu10j4 rockercover is nicer in my opinion.

I've got a complete gti6 intake and the vw body is nearly impossible to get here so I'll use what I already have.

These were replaced last year 

Suspension has already been taken care off. I have 306 bilstien coilovers, mechlab adjustable top mounts, polybushes, all waiting to go on once I pick up my new wheels. And get dad's 88 gl out of my shed.

I've also got brembos waiting to fit to.

A diff is further down the road as I'm still deciding on a gearbox 

IRISH_MI16
2 hours ago, welshpug said:

Miles at Pugracing can do you a manifold that fits I believe.

I've been speaking to miles. I want to get one off him but currently not an option at the minute. That being said if I can get the gtx turbo d sold I'll be onto him (sells car buys exhaust =logic)

petert

I have wiring diagrams for 3 row ECU cars.

IRISH_MI16
5 minutes ago, petert said:

I have wiring diagrams for 3 row ECU cars.

On your website Peter? Or how much?

welshpug

306 dampers are a bit short for a 405.

wiring diagrams are all on here.

jackherer
39 minutes ago, IRISH_MI16 said:

The omex is future proofing for what I have in mind for this engine and car. I'll have to get it eventually and if one comes up at a reasonable price I see now reason not to get it and use it.

Repeated mapping on a rolling road can get very expensive, it makes sense to get all the changes made to the engine first then fit the ECU and get it mapped rather than having it remapped at every stage. But I do agree it is a good idea to fit a modern ECU so you can lose the distributor cap and rotor arm along with the air flow meter apart from anything else.

IRISH_MI16
22 minutes ago, welshpug said:

I used 306 shocks with a 30mm spring on the gtx and looks perfect and handles like it's on rails. 

I figure 25mm drop on the coilover should be plenty as I'm aiming for 50mm 

I'll have dig around when I get to a laptop see if I can find them

IRISH_MI16
21 minutes ago, jackherer said:

Repeated mapping on a rolling road can get very expensive, it makes sense to get all the changes made to the engine first then fit the ECU and get it mapped rather than having it remapped at every stage. But I do agree it is a good idea to fit a modern ECU so you can lose the distributor cap and rotor arm along with the air flow meter apart from anything els

Mapping might not be to much of a problem. There's a good few people local running mi16s in 205s with aftermarket ecu. I might be able to get a Base map off them

petert
7 hours ago, IRISH_MI16 said:

On your website Peter? Or how much?

I've posted various parts on here over the years but if you PM me your email I'll send you the.complete manual.

my3AWDgst
13 hours ago, petert said:

Taylor-eng.com

There is a dyno sheet on the ECU upgrade page.

Email sent.

my3AWDgst
On 1/28/2018 at 4:37 AM, welshpug said:

Yes they are about 15mm shorter but they work great. I use 306 BC coilovers with BC top spring mount and universal camber plates.

EBC99001-D849-4A16-8F97-BF0FEAF34705.jpeg

my3AWDgst
On 1/28/2018 at 4:42 AM, jackherer said:

Repeated mapping on a rolling road can get very expensive, it makes sense to get all the changes made to the engine first then fit the ECU and get it mapped rather than having it remapped at every stage. But I do agree it is a good idea to fit a modern ECU so you can lose the distributor cap and rotor arm along with the air flow meter apart from anything else.

Right there is the reason I went ECMlink,speed density way and advantage to use E85 fuel. It’s easily found in California’s pumps and it’s about 105 octane on good day.

Edited by my3AWDgst

IRISH_MI16
3 hours ago, my3AWDgst said:

Right there is the reason I went ECMlink,speed density way and advantage to use E85 fuel. It’s easily found in California’s pumps and it’s about 105 octane on good day.

Is the ECMLink hard to use? I've been thinking about it. E85 won't be on the cards for me I don't know of anywhere in Ireland that sells it :/ 

The bc's are meant to be excellent.

As you know my turbo d uses 306 struts.

my3AWDgst

I have BC’s on four of my cars and I loved them. ECMlink is simple and I’ve been around it for a long time,my SD skills are not that great but I’m decent on everything else.

dcc
On 1/28/2018 at 11:56 AM, IRISH_MI16 said:

Wow' someone's a cranky giraffe.

Firstly I've already ported and polished the current throttle body and its a slight improvement on what it was.

I'll make another flange plate so it bolts up with the head and shorten and adapt the 6 manifold as necessary.

Did think about cams but by the looks of it against the other phase 1 that's near me mine has cams as it walked away from the other one.

I need the wiring diagram to clean up my engine bay. It's been bastardised to the high heavens in its 15years that it was off the radar. Cut and joined wires everywhere. It's a mess. Along with that there's some s*ity aftermarket alarm in it to that looks to be wired to the ecu 

Coilpack conversion is again future proofing as I will have to do it at some point. Also the xu10j4 rockercover is nicer in my opinion.

I've got a complete gti6 intake and the vw body is nearly impossible to get here so I'll use what I already have.

These were replaced last year 

Suspension has already been taken care off. I have 306 bilstien coilovers, mechlab adjustable top mounts, polybushes, all waiting to go on once I pick up my new wheels. And get dad's 88 gl out of my shed.

I've also got brembos waiting to fit to.

A diff is further down the road as I'm still deciding on a gearbox 

Oh dear, not sure if you're an idiot or just automatically take offence to opinion which don't fall in line with your own?

My reply is an educated one, formed on experience not on opinion. I wasn't being cranky, just trying to help educate you.

Either way, everything you've asked for is covered in detail on these forums.

If you've plans to spend as much money as you're suggesting on the engine and go as far away from standard as you are proposing, I cannot see any reasoning to stay with the XU9, then I would recommend moving to an EW/ES/Xu10 - all of which tune far better for the same mods to an MI.

IRISH_MI16
1 hour ago, dcc said:

Oh dear, not sure if you're an idiot or just automatically take offence to opinion which don't fall in line with your own?

My reply is an educated one, formed on experience not on opinion. I wasn't being cranky, just trying to help educate you.

Either way, everything you've asked for is covered in detail on these forums.

If you've plans to spend as much money as you're suggesting on the engine and go as far away from standard as you are proposing, I cannot see any reasoning to stay with the XU9, then I would recommend moving to an EW/ES/Xu10 - all of which tune far better for the same mods to an MI.

Didn't take offence I assure you and I'm not an idiot.

I plan on moving to an Xu10 later on in the cars life as the seem to be more readily available. This being said my end goal is 220bhp. 

That shouldn't be to much of an ask from any of those engines.

The EW never really come up for sale over here and any time I've looked to the UK I haven't been able to find any.

It is an option I'd like to fit to a 405 at some stage. 

I have done a bit off digging about on the forums and have found alot of useful information. A 2.2 xu is really tickling my fancy at the minute.

This being said part of me would like to at the least keep the original block as it seems to be the only unmolested part of my car. But I don't see this happening realistically.

All help and advice is greatly appreciated 

jackherer
13 hours ago, dcc said:

Would you speak to someone you don't know in person like that?

I would hope the answer is no so please don't do it on here either.

• Like 1