• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

SimonJ

Attaching gearbox to engine

SimonJ

dateposted-publicIt's 10 years since I've done this so memory a bit fuzzy. Is there any sort of retaining clip required for the release bearing before putting the box back on? Now I guess it can't go anywhere but what are the holes on either side of it for? Wasn't anything there when I took it off (I think) but that doesn't mean I haven't just been lucky and there should be something. Thanks.

IMG_1992.JPG

pug_ham

No, there's nothing to hold the release bearing in place other than luck when refitting the gearbox but the tabs on the back of the bearing should be slide over the forks & try to hold the fork in place so it doesn't fall off when moving things into place in the engine bay.

g

welshpug

make sure you have the correct bushes to match the fork you have, if it has a J stamped in the top you need yellow bushes, an X or a plain one needs white bushes.

Miles

BE1 bearing on a BE3 shaft does not work, you need the right one

SimonJ

MIles,

This is the setup I've had since the last time the engine was out in 2007 (and I think since I changed from BE1 to BE3 in 2005) but I totally accept I might just have been lucky. The bearing internal diameter does look bigger than the shaft - is that what you mean. Need a bearing with a smaller internal diameter (the hole)?

Welshpug - where do the bushes go - I've no idea what they are! If it/they are the yellow thing at the top of the pic then haven't changed them so should be OK.

Just changing to the engine I bought from Dan.

Edited by SimonJ

welshpug

bushes are on the shaft, one is in the top corner of the picture, the bearing pictured is incorrect for that clutch fork too as Miles pointed out.

it should look like this on the rear.

release2.jpg

DSC00394.jpg?hotlinkfix=1517143020368

you appear to have a BE1.

welshpug

that page shoes all the different BE1/3 push and pull type forks and bearings.