• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
jeremy

Cars poorly again!

jeremy

Basically I think I have no spark although the lead from the coil to the distributor is live, so going to get a new cap, rotor arm and leads for good measure. However what do the wires coming off the distributor do?

Anthony

Wires, plural?  There should only be one wire coming off the dizzy and that's the timing signal cable that triggers the ignition amp to fire the coil (and in turn, provide a timing signal to the injection ECU)

If there's an issue with that, you'll have no spark or injection.

DamirGTI

Easy to test the dizzy signal cable ..

Theres 3 wires inside the cable , one being positive other negative pick up signal and the third one is just a shielding wire .

Take the dizzy out on the bench , leave the cable on , set multimeter on continuity testing (speaker) and put one probe on the middle terminal on the yellow 3 pin plug and other on the one of the pins on the sides left-right (cant remember which one precisely) .. and spin the dizzy shaft with hand .

If the cable is good , the multimeter will emit a tone kinda like "morse code" - the faster you spin the shaft the faster will sound emit via multimeter .. also , wiggle the cable a bit while you doing so ...

If you get no sound signal - it's broken .. but really easy and quick to fix !

D

• Like 1

jackherer
14 hours ago, jeremy said:

get a new cap, rotor arm and leads for good measure.

Presumably the parts fitted currently have been on there since before it was laid up? I'd definitely replace those before you get too into troubleshooting this problem!

jeremy

Thanks for the replies. It maybe a few days till I know anymore. 

Anthony I think you could be onto something.

DamirGTI Thank you however it would also be great if you have time to tell me the easy fix. No idea if its broke but if i take it apart then i can at least know how it should gp back correctly :).

Also thanks to Kieran for the phone support and offer of yet more help!

DamirGTI

No worries , time to help someone can always be found !

Just recently made one 205 alive by fixing the said cable , and did the same on a few before as well as mines years ago .. will post you some pics tomorrow , i have both variations of cable fix for bosch and ducellier dizzy .

D

• Like 1

DamirGTI

Now , the first two pics are bosch type dizzy cable , others are ducellier dizzy cable .. but essentially the same/similar .

Undo the screw which holds the cable on the dizzy body and pull out .. wires inside the cable will most often break on the very end when the cable meets the plastic connector - chop off the top of the plastic connector and inspect the wires/terminals inside .. if you find any of the two colored wires broken (ignore the third one which is shielding wire) - re-solder as you would any other car wiring , put some heat shrink tubing , slide back in the connector and reseal with some epoxy glue or similar .

Have fun !

D

dizzy cable 1.jpg

dizzy cable 2.jpg

IMG_7035.JPG

IMG_7042.JPG

IMG_7051.JPG

IMG_7054.JPG

IMG_7062.JPG

• Like 1

jeremy

Thank you very much. Fingers crossed I will get time to look at it  sometime this week. 

jeremy

Turned out the coil was up the duff lol!

Ozymandis
On 5/15/2018 at 4:56 PM, jeremy said:

up the duff

Up the duff means pregnant, I know its f***ed but still. . . . .