• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Jamiehudds

Engine build what way to go

Jamiehudds

Hi everyone first post here 

I have a a 205 gti in white , with a 1.9 gti turbo engine in and it's not forged so 

do I low comp/forge it with pistions to prevent it from blowing up lol 

been told it's ran b4 at 12psi 200bhp 

bought a tt style head to lower the comp from 200 psi to 170psi 

but still now low enuff Iv been told ...... 

or I could get a de comp plate ? 

I also have a alloy mi16 I wanna rebuild 

a cast 406 engine which Iv been told are stronger ? 

Now whats going to be he cheepist route to go down , Iv also seen a fully built low comp t16 engine for £2000 

do I just buy thay and a manifold n new turbo ? 

Problem is i I don't know enuff about building engines to know witch way to go 

I may have most of the stuff in the garage to make a oem style turbo block ? With diff cranks ect

Also a pic of what I was told the engine was when I got it 

thanks for any replys in advance IMG_9167.thumb.JPG.2c4ec775f1c2f9b40a6b9ee37f586ad5.JPG

IMG_9161.PNG

IMG_9163.PNG

IMG_9164.JPG

IMG_9165.JPG

IMG_9159.PNG

Edited by Jamiehudds

dcc

What do you want? More power?

The alloy block xu is the limiting factor if so.

The ew block will do 600safely, chasing more than that you need to close deck the block.

The t16 engine was never really super duper. 2k is basically a full build bottom with proper rods and pistons, apply the head of your choice.

allanallen

I’m a bit confused as to what you actually have?! 

Are you currently using the engine spec in the last picture? Forged low comp pistons with Mi16 liners? 

I’m not sure TT heads lower the compression, I was under the impression it was done by machining the pistons? 

With proper management/mapping you should be able to safely run 200bhp with an otherwise standard 1900 8v, how much power do you want?? 

Jamiehudds

yes was after more power and reliable hah

I have the 1.9 8v engine on the engine lift pic , the spec in the last photo was what I bought it as >_<

i don't think the flat top pistons are low comp?

i had a comp test of 200 psi , guy called ralf told me it will go bang at that psi been boosted

so i got the head in the second to last picture to try increase the cylinder volume which took it down to 170psi

now i was just goin to take it for maping but iv been told its still too high

so do i risk it ?? and get 200 bhp for how ever long it lasts

get some low comp pistions 499 ? and get how much more bhp ??

i do have a omex 600 ecu

I'm going to get full spec of the engine for sale today to ask you guys if its worth the money

but said would do 350 bhp all day safely  :P

so you think 200 psi ok on normal internals ? what about A DECOMP plate ? they any good ?

thanks for the replys

Jamie

Jamiehudds

I was wanting more power but reliable for road / trackdays  

I'm useing the 1.9 8v on the engine lift picture 

And well I was sold the engine and the last picture is the listing kinda thing 

but Iv been told flat top pistions are not low comp , and with a compression test of 200 psi before I bought the head in the second to last pictures to try lower the comp witch got it down to 170psi 

yeh I gess 200 bhp would be fine , and you think that normal engine will handle that okay ? With out getting new pistons ect 

And the engine for sale  is fully rebuilt with s16 barring n bigger throttle body ect haven't full spec will try get it tomorrow but it did sound nice haha , but then I would need a 16v turbo manifold ??? Says should do 350bhp all day long no problem ?? Which sounds good to me

I had the cast block spare that was going cheep with bent valves , someone said I could use 1.9 crank in it n ups the cc ?? N like you say strong high bhp 

More pics of the pistions ? Haha 

IMG_9152.PNG

IMG_9153.PNG

IMG_9154.PNG

IMG_9158.PNG

Jamiehudds

Sorry my reply from last night just loaded up so now Iv replyed twice :huh::unsure:

Tom Fenton

Firstly, you seem to keep mentioning cheap, it is not going to be cheap whichever way you go, so you need to either be prepared to spend the money, or otherwise maybe a drop in 16v GTI6 engine or similar is better for you?

Sorry to say it but those flat top pistons are pretty much about as wrong as could be for a turbo application. Standard 1.9 GTI 8v pistons would be better. The shape of that cylinder head with the circular chambers is also not going to help matters, that chamber shape will be very prone to detonation which will limit how much timing you can use on boost, end result less power.

Use standard pistons and carefully modify the head to lower the compression and you will easily net 200bhp without any fancy parts. All this talk of "forged" is Facebook speak by folk who know no better.

This is from experience and not just talking s*ite. My own built 1600 8v turbo makes around 200bhp. I have been involved with a 1900 8v that made 250bhp. Both use standard cast pistons which are perfectly up to the job providing cooling and ignition timing are kept in control. Both running 18+ peak pounds of boost pressure.

Your compression test figures of 200 and 170psi aren't really a useful measure. You need to calculate the static compression ratio by measuring the head chamber volume. However as mentioned above even if your static compression is about in the right region (wants to be low 9.x:1), you will be limited by the flat top pistons and the head chamber shape.

The flat top pistons will sell on easily to someone wanting a high compression NA engine. The cylinder head should sell on again for roughly what you have paid for it, I would sell up the bits that aren't ideal and buy stuff that will work when turbocharged.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

welshpug

Listen to Tom, he knows Turbo 205's.

Don't listen to Ralph.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jamiehudds

Okay thank you  think I only said cheepist route once haha I know it's going to cost a few gs 

do you know where's best to get a 16v turbo mani 

yeah tbh I wanted to get rid of all this engine had nowt but hassle lol 

where do you think is best to advertise the stuff 

Edited by Jamiehudds

dcc

Dp engineering are probably the simplest bolt on option.

You'll be guts deep in money with this having to buy new parts and fabricating etc... maybe consider a bolt on supercharger kit for the gti6 engine from lynx?

• Thanks 1

Jamiehudds

so from what I caught whilst he was reeling off what it had couldn't keep up writing it

406 turbo cast block

sleeved to 86mm with no ware brand new

decked block

low comp forged Wiseco pistons

balanced rods ?? missed rest about them

uprated big and small end bearings

new oil pump

baffled sump

mi16 1905 cc head

ported

polished

new stem seals

skimmed

maybe something about seated valves ?? lol

set of cams

and said something about a one and two pully ??

moded gti6 throttle body & enlarged inlet

a flywheel

all assembled

block painted

full build report with pics

comes with everything other than exhaust manifold and turbo

and what ever I missed

so what you guys think sound any good ??

Edited by Jamiehudds

allanallen

Sounds expensive.

i have to question why he’s sleeved the block back to 86mm rather than just buying larger pistons and re-boring. 

Jamiehudds

So 2000 a decent price ? And I'd sleeveing a bad thing ?