• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

jackherer

I put a Bakerbm one on my MI16 because the rubber was failing on the old one. It stopped the annoying squeaking but that was all, I didn't notice any other difference.

I assume you know about the tendency for GTI6 OE pulleys to fail in the same way which makes the timing pin hole not line up? That is one reason to use a solid pulley IMO.

petert

I use them on race engines otherwise the alternator speed will exceed 15000rpm.

mmt

Great Thanks. Do you know What size belt I Would need to the Baker reduced sized pully? 

jackherer

Sorry, I missed the undersized part of your post, mine is just a one piece light alloy pulley, the size is the same as OE.

petert
3 hours ago, mmt said:

Great Thanks. Do you know What size belt I Would need to the Baker reduced sized pully? 

No idea. Would have to look. If it doesn't fit, take it back and change it.

JeffR

Some time back a few of us Aussies had Miles supply a solid undersized pulley to keep the rpm of the alternator within spec. Diameter was 110mm. If you're running it with a std (XU9) alternator the belt length was 655mm for an Mi16, or 630mm for an iron block and XU9 alternator. Length will vary depending on configuration and alternator mounting position.

Miles

For a std car keep the original dia, The main reason for change is high RPM or simple replacement of worn parts, I do Mi std or small (1.9) or 2.0 to order, Not sure of the weight of those but I know Spoox pulleys are allot heavier than the TTV ones which we get

wicked

If it's only for the weight, it's a waste of money; in the end it is about inertia of the rotating, not the absolute weight. Compared to the flywheel and crank I think the weight difference of the pulley does not translate to significant reduction of the inertia of the rotating mass (due to the small diameter). 

welshpug

I would certainly agree with that having experienced how slippery the aluminium is, its not an ideal material for an auxiliary pulley and its hard to get them to stop slipping without excessive tension if its at all damp, I would rather use the steel ones.

Andy F

The pug1off pulley is from BBM anyway so if you do go down this worth comparing costs