• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

George 205

205 gti steering rack change

George 205

hello friends. sorry for my english)

i have a question 

i have non hydraulic pump steering rack and i want to fix new one with pump/ is it difficult? what will i need forthis operation? thanks

Anthony

If you have all the required parts it is quite simple to fit power steering to a 205 that originally had unassisted steering.

I imagine the main issue is finding all the parts needed if you're in Russia.  They're fairly easily sourced here in the UK, but some of the parts (steering rack, high-pressure pipework) are specific to RHD models and as such wouldn't be suitable for you, assuming that your car is LHD (steering wheel on the left)?  Sourcing parts from mainland Europe would be better from that point of view as they're all LHD.

George 205

thank you Anthony . the only thing that i find here is this steerin rack but i cant find what parts more i need to fix it5E10240D.JPG&Size=1600x1400&MethodType=8

jackherer

Peugeot 306 and Citroen ZX/Xsara PAS racks will fit a 205 too and they're a better ratio.

• Like 1

George 205

KIERAN THANK YOU TOO BUT ONLY THING I FIND IS A STEERING RACK / WHAT PARTS I ALSO NEED FOR THIS OPERATION? 

Anthony

Off the top of my head:

Lower steering column / UJ

Power steering pump (inc pulley wheel)

High pressure PAS hose (needs to be from a LHD car)

PAS steering fluid reservoir

Engine mounting bracket (much larger than the non-PAS one)

Tensioner bracket

PAS pump mounting bracket (could fairly easily fabricate this)

In addition, there is a low-pressure return pipe from the rack to the reservoir - easy to use new rubber pipe of the correct grade - and feed pipe from the reservoir to the pump, which would be slightly more difficult as it's formed with bends, but not too hard if you can't find the original pipe.

Also, the drive belt is longer with power steering than it is without.

George 205

thanks Anthony / i will search this parts. :rolleyes:

cybernck

Some more info:

Hope this helps :).

George 205

Nikica big thanks  , and maybe you can can help me to find front roll bar(stabilizer suspension) because i find only eibach from spoox motorsport but the price is high

cybernck

Yeah I might have some spare parts, I'll get in touch with you when I get some time to look for them.

George 205

cool thanks