• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

Caliper Overhaul

Telf

As part of my on going work on the Pug I'm going to refurb the front and rear calipers.

I'm wondering if anybody can give me an idea of the likely cost to do this and availability/ difficulty doing the job

Cheers

Paul

dcc

Rear calipers are not fun to do. Probably better getting a refurb set!

Seal kits were around £15/caliper last time i checked

Telf

I've been quoted  £500 to do them and paint ... seems excessive to me! What's the issue with the rears?

Tom Fenton

The rears are a c*nt to do, there’s a strong Belleville to compress, there must be some special tool to do it, it can be done without but it’s a faff.

Personally the only trouble I’ve ever had with rear calipers is bust bleed nipples or the dust boot torn. If I was doing it I’d mask up and bead blast the alloy bit, fit a new dust seal and bleed nipple, and have the cast pad carrier blasted and re-plated.

Fronts are much easier, the time consuming part is having them re plated really. The rebuild is straightforward. Watch out for the 5-sided cap head bolts holding the calipers halves together!

• Like 1

Tom Fenton

Not the best pic but here are the fronts I did.

60A869F3-157D-438F-AC9A-A39E24CF4BD6.thumb.jpeg.4c289867a9ff257bb219a19587de8c32.jpeg

farmer

I bought some motorfactorold stock

Got some rear offside calipers with carriers for a 205

Would sell one if it helps on those ?

Alan_M

When I rebuilt my rear calipers on my now defunct 306, I used an old attachment off a valve spring compressor tool. Along with a small G-clamp, the washers compressed nicely.

The old Citroen ZX diesel Haynes gives a good guide on rebuilding rear calipers.