• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Rjuhar

Telling apart speedo clusters

Rjuhar

How do you tell apart phase 1 and phase 2 speedo clusters? To the eye they look the same (same graphics) but AFAIK they are different in the "brain" section of a rev counter. Thanks

welshpug

early phase1 look a little different, later ones look mostly identical bar the addition of abs and catalytic converter lights and eml later on.

petert

The rev counter is the same. They all pick up the -ve side of the coil, including Motronic versions, which also have a K diagnostic light.

Henry Yorke

I swapped a Speedo cluster once and it changed the readings for the better! When I fitted the MI gearbox with 1.9 FD it read 20mph less at 70mph. I then built up a set of Euro spec clocks on a different cluster and set the mileage the same and when I fitted them, the speedo read correctly when compared with my TomTom sat nav at the time. I thought I would have to change the worm and drive on the driveshaft to correct the speed but obviously not. 

I can’t  quite explain it but that was my experience and I’m not complaining!!

Anthony

I have seen speedo clusters fail in a manner where they appear to work but are way off in terms of accuracy, so I'm hazarding a guess that's what you had.

Providing that you keep with a matching pair of drive gears, the speedo generally isn't that far out and tends to over-read rather than under-read.  It's mixing the cogs up that causes problems, but clearly that would have equally been the case with the replacement speedo cluster.