• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Martynhomer01

Restoration 1.9 gti

Martynhomer01

Hi guys, I'm new on here so just trying to find my way around. 

I've been a ford nut for years and earlier this year I acquired a decent shape 1.6 which had had all the running gear changed to 1.9 but the bodywork was in bad shape. 

Live had her all straightened, and painted and it's just going back together as we speak. 

From what I can gather, it's a 1.5 phase car but was wondering what can be done to the body kit as it's very faded and I want to bring it back to life.

ill try and add some pics 

IMG_0534.PNG

IMG_0532.PNG

IMG_1644.PNGIMG_1643.jpg

welshpug

Hi Martyn, looks a decent start to a project!

Plasticare is the best stuff I've come across to restore the trim, the grey is a little light and the Black a little too dark, I do recall Anthony had success with mixing the two to get a closer representation of the original colour.

I'm not sure of the origins of plasticare, but Wurth do a product that appears to be the same kind of stuff but much more expensive, likely due to being in a larger container, may even have been what Plasticare was!

Martynhomer01
30 minutes ago, welshpug said:

Hi Martyn, looks a decent start to a project!

Plasticare is the best stuff I've come across to restore the trim, the grey is a little light and the Black a little too dark, I do recall Anthony had success with mixing the two to get a closer representation of the original colour.

I'm not sure of the origins of plasticare, but Wurth do a product that appears to be the same kind of stuff but much more expensive, likely due to being in a larger container, may even have been what Plasticare was!

Thanks bud, I'll look into it 

I know when I had an Astra gte , the best thing was to run a heat gun over the plastic to basically melt the top layer of plastic which made it go a decent colour again, so don't know wether to try that too. 

Telf

pretty sure plasticare was standard black shoe polish

dobboy

I got mines painted.

plastic primed, haze of texturiser, finished in Ral7021 (Iirc) with a matting agent added.

no cracks nearly 4 years later