• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lando9000

Hot Start Problems 89 1.6 GTI

lando9000

Hi all,

I'm having some hot start problems in my 1989 205 GTI 1.6. This hasn't been going on for too long. 

The car is not my daily but gets out once a week or so during the winter. The car will fire perfectly from cold but recently if I'm out and get petrol say, she wouldn't fire right back up again. It just turns over and every now and again give a back fire down the exhaust. 

I read around a bit on the internet which suggested that when the car won't start from hot, take off the cable going into the coilpack (not sure if I've the right name - cylindrical thing above the ignition amp) and turn the car over a few Times and reconnect. This should reset the ignition module and you should be able to start the car. 

So I tested this for a bit and it got me out I'd being stranded so I pulled the trigger and bought a new ignition amp.

Fitted it with the heat transfer goo and still getting the same issues except this time removing the cable from the coilpack isn't working. 

Any ideas or tips greatly appreciated, thanks. 

Edited by lando9000

Stian_P

Sounds like the same problem I had with my 1,9, it turned out to be a tired fuelpump and/or a faulty return valve in the fuelpump. I had no fuelpressure in the fuel line even right after I had stopped the engine. I bought a new one and the problem was solved.

Roeland_Vester

Check the coolant temperature sensor. My mate's 106 gti had a similar problem, and the coolant temperature sensor was defective. We measured it by taking the sensor out, fitting an improvised bung to stop the coolant from leaking too much, and then put the sensor in water at different temperatures, checked with a kitchen thermometer (7 euros from IKEA). We had a pot of hot and a pot of cold water to mix and create a range of temperatures. It looked all rather lab-ish. At each temperature we checked the resistance of the sensor. The resistance peaked (from 2 to 19 kOhm) at ~40 deg C. 

DamirGTI

Hot starting issues are usually fuel related .. leaky injectors , fuel pump , press. regulator etc.

D

lando9000
On 05/01/2018 at 8:53 PM, DamirGTI said:

Hot starting issues are usually fuel related .. leaky injectors , fuel pump , press. regulator etc.

Ok, I have an Mi16 fuel pump from a 205 conversion. Would this work for me to test in the car? It was working when taken out. I can test the fuel pressure as well. What would be considered normal for a 205 GTI 1.6? With leaky injectors, would replacing the O rings just be a smart thing to do given I don't really know the history of the car. 

Edited by lando9000

lando9000
On 05/01/2018 at 8:08 PM, Roeland_Vester said:

Check the coolant temperature sensor. My mate's 106 gti had a similar problem, and the coolant temperature sensor was defective. We measured it by taking the sensor out, fitting an improvised bung to stop the coolant from leaking too much, and then put the sensor in water at different temperatures, checked with a kitchen thermometer (7 euros from IKEA). We had a pot of hot and a pot of cold water to mix and create a range of temperatures. It looked all rather lab-ish. At each temperature we checked the resistance of the sensor. The resistance peaked (from 2 to 19 kOhm) at ~40 deg C. 

Cool, I'll check that out as well. Will be able to test. Thanks.