• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
stumpyjag

Volvo C30 1.6 hdi

stumpyjag

Hi all

i have a friend who has just been told to scrap £2k worth of Volvo because the mechanic says the diesel particulate filter has had it. Started with loss of power and smoke from under the bonnet but turbo checks out and no warning lights. Surely this can't be right??

any advice appreciated 

welshpug

there are many ways around it, if the engine is sound then there's no need to scrap it, either gut the dpf and get it mapped out (technically not legal, but will still pass a smoke test just fine)    early versions of the 1.6 only had cats.

or get another used dpf, or a new one even, just looked and you can pick them up for £190.

on these engines its fairly straightforward to remove the dpf unit as its right on the front of the engine hanging off the turbo  (you have to remove it to get at one sodding gearbox bolt!!)

B1ack_Mi16

If the DPF is f***ed, maybe the glow plugs or relay is defect, or there is also a Eloys fluid level sensor on the volvo, built into the Eloys tank, if that is defect I believe it also will get into trouble regenrating the particulate filter.

In general people seem to scrap good cars due to minor faults, because mechanics are beeing overly dramatic about what is or might be wrong with the vehicle, without actually having a clue about the real reason for the failure.

dcc

Dpf will have pressure sensors etc... So will throw up a light.

Ive seen multiple dpf failures and none were as you describe.

It could be a broken pipe to egr or similar

Id suggest it isnt 100% the dpf

stumpyjag

Many thanks for the advice. 

erol

Let us know if he does decide to scrap

wicked

Sounds like one or more injectors have come loose/are leaking. 

Needs to be cleaned and new seals. Most dealers have special tools for it; not advised to do it without those tools. 

stumpyjag

Is there any way of testing if the injectors are leaking. Thanks. 

welshpug

it will be quite obvious, remove the air filter box and look at the injectors, if they're wet with a thick diesel like oilyness or covered in a coal like sooty oily substance its leaking,

with badly leaking injectors you will hear them chuffing, and see bubbling around them.

stumpyjag

Many thanks again. 

stumpyjag

Hi guys. 

Right i I have finally got round to looking at this Volvo. I have put a known good turbo on just in case and put it all back together after the previous guy took it all apart and left it. 

Fired it up and it runs well but I now have a engine warning light (didn’t have this before) and I am guessing it’s put it into limp home as it won’t rev over 3k. It seems to work well upto 3k though and seems to have normal boost pressure, it feels like it’s being limited by the ecu. 

Am I right in thinking the best thing for it now is to get it plugged into a code reader as this could be anything. 

Edited by stumpyjag

welshpug

certainly, if only you get them cleared, if it comes back then there is an issue somewhere.

I have seen similar fault with bad Air Mass meters, try it with the part unplugged, not 100% on the later engines but many would run on a basic default map and be better than with a faulty MAF giving a low airflow reading.

stumpyjag

Ok thanks I will give it ago. 

Mikey S
2 hours ago, stumpyjag said:

Hi guys. 

Right i I have finally got round to looking at this Volvo. I have put a known good turbo on just in case and put it all back together after the previous guy took it all apart and left it. 

Fired it up and it runs well but I now have a engine warning light (didn’t have this before) and I am guessing it’s put it into limp home as it won’t rev over 3k. It seems to work well upto 3k though and seems to have normal boost pressure, it feels like it’s being limited by the ecu. 

Am I right in thinking the best thing for it now is to get it plugged into a code reader as this could be anything. 

What was wrong with the original turbo?

stumpyjag

I never got to see what actually happened to the car. All I know is low power and smoke so as I had a good spare I changed it. 

Mikey S

Next thing is diagnostics then as it sounds like it's in limp mode. You can wash the dpf out if you suspect it's blocked. A decent fault code reader with live data will tell you the calculated spot mass in the dpf but you also need to find out what the ash content is as well. 

Ive successfully used Forte off car dpf cleaner before. Basically spray it in opposite way to gas flow, leave it for half an hour to soak through, 3 boiling kettles through it then a good jet wash will get rid of it, all opposite to flow obviously. 

A quick note though, any part of the dpf system you replace ( pressure sensor, dpf, eolys fluid top up etc) you will need to program the ecu to tell it that it has been replaced. 

Are the injector seals ok? The 1.6 hdi is terribly common for them to leak and that will give you smoke under the bonnet. 

I would also recommend you replace the oil pump pick up in the sump as well. It's usually the root cause of a turbo failure on these. 

Mike

• Like 1

stumpyjag

Many thanks for that. 

davev

If its a blocked dpf. Then Tuneapp do a brilliant dpf cleaner.  Expensive but at my last place I worked, they said if we get one we can't unblock they will send the rep out and unblock it just for the challenge.