• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Archie's mid life crisis

205 GTI orginal bodykit

Archie's mid life crisis

Hi,

I'm in the process of restoring a 205 GTI 1.6. The car is fitted with a bodykit that i've been told was on the car from new and was an option at the time. The bodykit consistes of front valance, rear valance, side skrts and low level tailgate spoiler and all parts have Peugeot stamped on them. As bodykits go it is not the worst i have ever seen and it is in good condition.

I'm looking for opinions here : is it likely this was supplied with the car? As for future value, do you think the car will be worth less with the bodykit fitted. I have no intention of selling the car but don't want to keep the bodykit and regret it later.

Cheers in advance for any opinions.

j_turnell

Sounds like the optional extra Peugeot sport kit. It was more than likely supplied with the car. Personally I'm really not a fan, the front valance looks ok but the skirts and shopping trolley rear spoiler look terrible in my opinion but a lot of people really like the kit. Value wise I'd certainly hang on to it but if you are not a fan I don't think you'd loose value on the car without it. I would be tempted to have a look at the lower rear quarters behind the kit though for any rust that may have developed. Down to personal preference really.

Archie's mid life crisis

Yeah, i pretty much agree with you on the looks. I prefer the standard look too. My only thought was that it is a part of the car's history. The driver's side of the car is rusty at the rear quarter but the passenger side is pretty good and original. For some reason the driver's sides always fare worse. My other 205 is the same. I may put it the body kit on ebay and see if i get any offers. 

Miles

Same here, Never liked the kit at all, The only thing of use was the rear spoiler as it was a good tea shelf.  Being a Dealer fitted option it won't effect the value if removed but increase it

AlexRS2782

I've got the kit on my car too, but thankfully the first owner (dealer principal at a Pug dealer) decided not to fit the rear spoiler.  That's the only part of the kit I've never been a fan of, but the rest of it's definitely a period modification so you either like it (or not :lol: ).  Besides it seems to work on mine with the Morette headlights (again another period mod).

I guess I've always liked the kit as when I was getting into cars in my early teens / through passing my test in '97, those were the sort of bodykits I grew up with on cars and similar ones from Zender, etc.  So basically before the bodykit scene went rather mental in the early '00's :lol: 

At the end of the day it's your car, so if you prefer the standard look then there's no issue over removing the kit, especially if it's going to get removed anyway to deal with any other rust / bodywork issues :) 

Archie's mid life crisis

It definitely has a certain 80s/90s charm! The side skirts were just held on with some liberally applied bonding sealant - unless, of course, they have been refitted before. Passenger side looks original though. Agree about the spoiler, but have noticed that Spoox sell something very similar

Miles

They did glue them on well which makes removal more time consuming, Boot one is new boot really or Plate & weld the holes up,