• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
lybker

Battling bump steer

lybker

This is my first to try and sort bumb steer, and hence I yet again rely on the experienced users support :-)

Head acke started as I relocated the steering rack about 15mm upwards, creating a lot of bump steer. Then I adjusted the wishbones connection to the hub equally 15mm downwards - seems easy enough - NOT!

After fiddling MANY times with different length spacers, i find best  result is 0,5 degrees difference!

details are as follows

damper bottomed out:                 - 5cm  -->  0,2degrees toe inwards

damper at normal rideheight:       0cm -->   0 degrees (baseline)

damper max length:                     + 5cm -->  0,5degrees toe inwards

my first question is - when wheels are locked, pointing straight ahead, and I move the wheels up and down - how much bumb steer tolerance is allowed?

secondly - if 0,5 degrees is to much, then please any good advice to reduce further is welcomed?

DSC_0004.JPG

0DSC_0003 (1).JPG

DSC_0001_1.JPG

DSC_0001_2.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_1051.JPG

welshpug

No experience of every trying to measure or correct Bump steer myself, but the figures you have got sound quite impressive actually!

I have heard of cars with an S shaped curve to the bump steer profile, yours seems to be nicely dialled in at a ) shape.

allanallen

There’s no tolerance as such, but what you have there looks pretty good to me. A lot better than many cars from the factory. 

I always pay most attention to what the wheels doing in bump as through a corner the loaded wheel is obviously compressing the suspension. 

Rippthrough

That's not too bad, a little toe in on the inside wheel under a lot of load isn't a bad thing for something driven hard - it'll actually give you more grip.