• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
MrAndy

XU9 8V main bearings replacement

MrAndy

Hi,

I'm considering aboud to change the main bearings together with the connecting rod bearings, since the engine is giving a little bit of the knocking sound after cold start. The sound is ok, after it heats up a little, but anyway, I want to correct the reason for the unwanted sound.

My question is that is it possible to change the main bearings on the car, without removing the flywheel/clutch/gearbox? I know that the rod-bearings you can do By removing just the oil-pan, but how is it with the frame bearings?

-A-

Tom Fenton

To do it right it needs to come fully to pieces. If its crank noise then the journals need accurately measuring as an absolute minimum but may also require grinding.

wicked

For the main bearings you need to remove the crank; hence the clutch and box need to be removed. 

I would do the rod bearings first; they are the usual suspect. 

MrAndy
1 minute ago, wicked said:

For the main bearings you need to remove the crank; hence the clutch and box need to be removed. 

I would do the rod bearings first; they are the usual suspect. 

Thx,

I know that the best way is to put it into pieces, but I have the other car in that shape now. I want to avoid the situation that all the cars are in pieces at the same time, so this is not the way to go right now, later of course yes.

If you think that the rod bearings only would help, I will start with them first.

Do the rod bolts need to be replaced also or can I use the same ones again?

What about the oil sump seal, do you recommend to use glue /sealant on that or just to replace it without glueing?

-A-

MrAndy

I studied some other brands forums about using the same rod-bolts again and many people seemed to think that it's OK.

Also checked that Autodata 1995-book told to replace the head bolts when re-installing the head, but not mentioning anything about the rod or main bearing Support bolts.

What you guys think?

-A-

(this car will not be used to track or other hard use, only for normal traffic use during sunny summer days.)

Edited by MrAndy

welshpug

rod and mains bolts will be fine, head bolts are stretch type on the aluminium block.

steel sump requires a gasket, readily available, alloy sump needs sealant, though later steel sumps are sealed on with RTV.

• Like 1

dcc

I think you can reuse the head bolts if they are within spec. I personally wouldnt bother as they are cheap enough

MrAndy

THX

-A-