• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Fraser

205 1.4 gr stalled and wouldn’t restart, next day started fine. Help please

Fraser

Hi, yesterday when driving my 1.4 205 it stalled while driving in high revs in second and then once I pulled over it wouldn’t restart just turned over like normal but no start. After being towed home today i tried it and it started instantly first time. If someone could help me find out what the problem could be that would be great. I am assuming it will be electrical side of things getting too hot and raise already high resistances, but as a lot of people will have a lot of experience with 205 and this may be a common problem. The car also stalled a few days previously but restarted while still rolling through a corner and proceeded to drive another 10 miles. When it happens all the lights come on just like if you stall normally and everything is normal except it will not restart. I changed the carb to a twin carb the other day which is the only thing that is different. Thanks

toolie72

Could it be flooding itself?

id check a plug if it does it again

DamirGTI

Ignition module would be the first one i'd try , when overheating it causes symptoms as you've said ..  try to replace with known good spare module and apply fresh heat sink paste at the back of the module and see what happens ... unfortunately theres no real test to perform to identify bad module so only way is trial replacement with new or known good spare item .

D

Fraser

Ok so changed the coil module but the problem is the same, stalling consistently the hotter it gets until it won’t start at all.

jackherer

Was the new ignition module fitted with new heatsink paste as Damir describes above?

coombsfh

YES YES YES!

I had this exact problem the other day in a 205 GR and fixed it. Carb set well, new fuel filter, ignition module... Nothing worked. Changed lift pump and hey-presto. 2 (fiddly) bolts and a gasket and she was fixed.

This sounds identical to my fault. I had one lying around but a new one is £40.

Let us know if it works.