• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

ilovemypug

309 Vs 205

ilovemypug

Hi everyone. Got a question for you.

If you could choose between a 205 and a 309, which would you get.

Im looking at a 205 1.4 xs Tu3s at 600 Euros or a 309 profil 1.4 (thinking of installing a Tu3s) for 400 Euros. Both have about the same mileage.

What is the main difference between both, handling wise etc.

Thank you

Edited by ilovemypug

allye

309 - obviously more space, good boot, noticeable more room in the engine bay, in standard trim have the edge on handling, found them slightly more refined?

205 - I prefer the interior, looks better, bits/parts far easier to get, rot wayyy less.

I sold my goodwood to build a 205....

pugdamo

I liked my 309 it felt more grown up than a 205 but that's now gone and Iv still got my 205, who wants to be grown up.

ilovemypug

The xs is a later model with a monopoint injection, how hard would it be to convert to a carbed version?

Rob_the_Sparky

I've had several 205GTis, GLDs and a 309 GTi.  The 309 handled best, interior looked worse and it rotted badly (the whole floor pan and sills).  Hard call as in good nick the 309 is the better handling car but as I have to look at the interior I think the 205 wins.  The rust in the 309 just made the decision a no brainer for me.  Bought my first BMW after the 309...

Anthony

I'm not sure what the spec of a 309 Profile is, but assuming that it's just a special edition based on a normal spec 309, I'd take the 205 XS every time.  Shame it's not the proper TU3S version though, as that's a fantastically under-rated car IMO.  A normal spec 309 isn't a bad car per-se, but you lose too many of the nice bits, the suspension will be distinctly comfort-oriented and the slight increase in weight won't do anything for performance with comparatively little power under the bonnet.

205 GTi vs 309 GTi is a much tougher call - I really loved the 309's I've had and reckon that they are the better all round package.  I seem to be in a minority in that I like the interior (Ph2 anyway - the Ph1 interior really isn't to my taste) and fantastic seats, but parts availability is getting problematic for some bits, they're not as good looking (esp. in 5dr flavour) and rust is more of a concern on them (if still minimal compared to the average Ford etc from that era).

welshpug

dont think rust is much of a concern in Portugal, definitely go 309, nicer place to be for me, just never come across one I wanted to keep and I already have a 205!

petert

I guess beauty lies in the eye of the beholder. I've always seen the 309 as the 205's ugly cousin.

ilovemypug

Fortunately rust is not a problem here as roads dont need to have salt and the rain is ok. 

The 309 is a 1.4 single carb iron block

The xs is also 1.4 in the rather weaker version 75hp. Now I can get a TU3S complete between 100 and 150. How hard would it be to swap the engines? Or get a 1.3 rallye/xsi  or 1.4 xsi