• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
xy8

Ew12J4

welshpug

naah that looks like 1st gen civic from 1972

DCC or sandy could tell you rod length for ew12.

xy8

Maybe someone knows piston height so I can calculate rod length , block is 221.5 mm , crank 96 mm,

Edited by xy8

Kane

From information i have the compression height of an ew10 piston is 29.5mm.

Edit:

Sorry just realised it was the ew12 sizes you're looking for

Edited by Kane

DamirGTI

Connecting rod length : 143 ,0mm +- 0,025mm

Start learning French ! :

http://www.peu406.org/_eacute_l_eacute_ments_constitutifs_du_moteur-161.html

Don't know your intentions with this engine , but would like to warn you - they seem to have piston problems , and injectors problems too (injector issues may well cause the first , piston issues) .. I've seen two of these engines with melted piston crowns , and heard of a few more with the same issues with pistons , was always just one piston gone bad/melted , crown melted on the same/very similar area/position as in the other affected engines ... some said about injectors going bad too which quite likely might do with the piston crown melting or it is low quality piston material issue .

D

xy8

Connecting rod length : 143 ,0mm +- 0,025mm

Start learning French ! :

http://www.peu406.org/_eacute_l_eacute_ments_constitutifs_du_moteur-161.html

Don't know your intentions with this engine , but would like to warn you - they seem to have piston problems , and injectors problems too (injector issues may well cause the first , piston issues) .. I've seen two of these engines with melted piston crowns , and heard of a few more with the same issues with pistons , was always just one piston gone bad/melted , crown melted on the same/very similar area/position as in the other affected engines ... some said about injectors going bad too which quite likely might do with the piston crown melting or it is low quality piston material issue .

D

Thanks for the info , not good then, melting pistons and poor rod /stroke ratio .

DrSarty

I know Sandy was previously rather a fan of the EW, certainly a very good starting point.

No idea what pistons he's used/uses.

Does this cast the first shadow on the EW12, or EW10 variants for that matter?

Ziga - Were the piston issues related to boosted EW12s?

P.S. I've had a forged piston crown melt on my 2.2l Mi which was on ITBs.

Edited by DrSarty

dcc

I dont know of any issues with the standard engines, i certainly dont know of any melted pistons on the standard motor, as anyone who has gone to that effort has used proper pistons!

The 2.0 blocks are plentiful and strong, the 2.2 is a very similar design and no reason to suggest otherwise.

The rod to stroke ratio isnt that bad, my current plans are to use a rod/stroke combo giving me just over 1.5:1, race engines, from reading, try to aim for 1.75, but with compression ratio around 13:1.

There are lots of pros and cons to both short and long rods. Certainly professionals are divided over which is best.

My engine isnt going to be going over 7500 rpm so a long rod to piston ratio isnt specifically a desire. The benefits of a longer rod can often be outweighed by the extra weight of the rod itself, so its far from a simple decision.

Ive been gathering bits everybso often for mine between building the legacy, landy and reroofing the house. With anyluck ill start some progress soon

calvinhorse

Dan, what can be done to deal with the massive oil consumption?

dcc

Try using tar instead

DamirGTI

Pistons tend to go melting round the valve cutouts , melting the valve cutout part of the crown and heat eroding down the piston skirt in the ring area , tried searching on my PC i had a few pics of the two ew12 engines (standard engines , no mods , one from 406 other from 407 , with around 120tkm) with pistons being melted pretty much the same way on the same area but sorry , can't find them ..

D