• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
petert

Wilwood Brakes

petert

I've been working on this project for some time and I'm pleased to say it's come together well. I was looking for an off the shelf solution for rotors and ended up buying all Wilwood parts. The most difficult task was making adapters to mate the radial mount calipers to the Pug hubs.

0.81" x 11.75" rotors

Ford Fiesta hats

Fiesta concentric rings to suit. I had to bore them to 65.1.

Dynapro calipers

Not sure what to do about pads yet. Set up was done with off the shelf Wilwood racing pads. I'll see how they go but most likely will invest in Project Mu pads.

post-2864-0-21079000-1501413940_thumb.jpg

post-2864-0-92680300-1501413955_thumb.jpg

dcc

Dont they do a 205 kit anyway?

Having spoken in depth with a friend who works in the industry the general consensus is the willwoods are a cheap caliper for a reason. He advised me to spend some time saving for a different kit rather than buy the cheaper willwood set up

petert

Yeah, most American stuff is rubbish. They even still work in imperial units. I'll report back in 12 months. No 205 kit that I could find.

Anthony

No 205 kit that I could find.

They certainly used to do 205 kits, both for 1.6 and 1.9 hub offsets using Midlite calipers and in a variety of (one piece) disk sizes - 260, 285 and I think I've seen 310mm mentioned too.

I can't see them listed by some companies who previously sold them now though despite kits for other marques still being listed, so I wonder if they've been discontinued?

jackherer

I look after a 205 with the 285mm Wilwood kit fitted. They stop well enough but the pads wear in a wedge shape which I've been told is due to caliper flex.

• Like 1

dcc

Exactly what I was told regarding their 'flex'.

I'll give the ap cupcar 4pots a go and report back with my finding :)

Tom Fenton

You get what you pay for when shopping for 4 pots from what I have seen. I've 1 set of APs and 1 set of Alcons.

welshpug

it was rallydesign that made the kit not wilwood, a 285mm disc with a taller offset than a gti6 disc.

were working fine on the narrow body saxo rally car I'm service crew for, new car has pretty monstrous AP's which dont weigh a lot more but a lot stiffer.

welshpug

I'd imagine what you have there so far is quite cost effective really, especially if you can draw or even mill the bracket yourself.

petert

The other advantage is I can position the caliper/rotor where I want, eliminating the need for any spacers. Also, Wilwood make a huge range of calipers. Midiltes > Dynalites > Dynapro > Superlite etc. Price goes up with rigidity with a trade off in clearance. Saying all Wilwood calipers flex is probably misguided.

Edited by petert
  • Like 1

Andy

Or give Pug1Off a try . They do a kit for the 106/205 which is complete and fits. Only snag is that the standard 205 1.9 wheels will not fit without spacers( ugh) . The solution is SL 434's but then it all gets expensive

petert

Thanks, however my solution was approx. US$900 not £900.

petert

Not a bad price, although a Dynalite is US$50 less per caliper than a Dynapro.

wicked

Only snag is that the standard 205 1.9 wheels will not fit without spacers( ugh) . The solution is SL 434's but then it all gets expensive

1.9 wheels are really tight... :(

I made set with 302mm oem discs and megane brembo's for my GTI and those fit 16" rims (easily).

Now I tried to make another set for my CTI, based on 283mm oem discs, same brembo's and they don't fit in 1.9 wheels (by far..)

Tom Fenton

My AP's use a 295mm disc and fit happily under a standard 1.9 wheel.

36093526146_5e4e1b1f74_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

36093321536_0be996b6a4_z.jpgUntitled by Tom Fenton, on Flickr

• Like 1

wicked

Nice set!

You have more offset on the discs and the megane brembo's are not that slim.

I spent 300-ish quid on the whole set; don't think I'll have set like that or that blingbling set of Peter for that kind of money... :unsure:

(Also don't need it on a CTI... )

welshpug

I have the Alcon version of Toms brake kit, they wont quite clear a 1.9 wheel but do go under a saxo vts wheel! its the radius of the spoke rather than radial clearance.

Clio/megane over a 310mm disc will go under an sl434.

Andy

Yes. The SL434's do have massive clearance. Given that, your suggestion of Clio/ Megane might be a good alternative , if one has the SL's . Had I not already shelled out on the (expensive) Pug1Off stuff, I would have gone down that route . Live and learn.. Having said all this, I used a set of Wilwoods on my Alfasud years ago ( converted to outboard discs) and was very impressed. Cracking value for money, even pad wear and powerful , progressive braking

welshpug

they go under an MO5 too.

wicked

SL434's are on my shopping list, but need to get rid of some others sets of OZ wheels first to make space.

The setup with Megane calipers also has the advantage of using discs and pads that are readily available everywhere.

It's also the downside. The 302mm discs are 7,5kg each...

@Peter how much does your rotor and hat weigh?

Edited by wicked

Andy

Not thought of that. 7.5kg is pretty heavy

petert

4.7kg

petert

I ended up having to give up some offset. I hadn't considered how close the rotor would be to the new control arm. It would be easy with a standard pin arrangement. Luckily the 8" wheels still fit without a spacer but not C5 wheels that we're going to use for wets.

post-2864-0-71573000-1504956230_thumb.jpg