• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
willysjam

Not Firing

willysjam

I have just put a good replacement 1989 1.6 in and put it back together using my ancillaries . Fitted new plugs battery set the distributor to right position but it wont fire. Have got petrol coming through and good spark. Does the crank sensor pug need to be connected or is that as I have been old just for garage diagnostics. Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation

Tom Fenton

Try swinging the dizzy one way and the other while cranking. If you have fuel and spark it ought to go.

Crank sensor is only for diag like you say.

• Like 1

steve@cornwall

Petrol coming through to the rail or actually through the injectors?

willysjam

The plugs are wet when I take them out! I am not sure the spark is getting through but with plug out and on the lead out it seems to be cracking a good spark.I am worried that I haven't connected something up, but if I have both spark and fuel shouldn't it at least fire! We have tried moving the distributor around too. Otherwise its box of matches time!!

Edited by willysjam

toolie72

Afm disconnected?

Or broken/wrong one

Edited by toolie72

willysjam

Hi toolie,

Thanks for reply Sorry not sure which the Afm is!

:wacko:

JamPug

Air flow meter, big silver and black thing before the throttle body and after the air box / filter.

Check your coolant temp sensor is connected as well as I don't think it will go with that as well. Blue two pin plug on the right hand side.

• Like 1

steve@cornwall

Second for the temp sensor plug, this can massively overfuel and prevent firing by drowning the plugs. Check that all the multiplugs you've reconnected haven't pushed any of the wires straight out the back of the plug too.Does the oil now smell of fuel?

willysjam

Hi Steve,

It does smell of petrol. I took the blue plug off from the back of the engine. I notice that it only has one metal contact inside it. I would have thought it should be two metal contacts! Can anyone confirm if it should have two. I will also check all the other multiplugs. Someone at Pugfest mentioned the fuel relay under the dash. but I would have thought the fact I have fuel it might not be that!

Thanks

welshpug

Definitely should have two contacts, probably just pushed back out of the housing.

• Like 1

steve@cornwall

Replaced my plug with a 306 spotlight plug as it didn't hold the wiring tightly.

willysjam

One of the contacts had pushed back with in the plug, sorted this and guess what? It still doesn't start. I have noticed that the fuel pump is constantly running. Is this correct? When I removed spark plug and turned it over fuel was gushing out of the bore. Could it mean a faulty fuel relay?

Cheers

welshpug

not necessarily, when the engine is running the fuel pump runs constantly, the injectors regulated by the ecu using the AFM position and throttle switch to determine load.

if fuel is gushing in that much you may have some injectors stuck open, or there's still an issue in the fuelling system telling the ecu its going flat out and its just opening the taps!

Edited by welshpug

steve@cornwall

When you replaced he engine, what inlet manifold gasket did you use? If the wrong one is used that doesn't have the injector space (ie an xu carb gasket) that could be deflecting the fuel. Same using too much instant gasket

willysjam

I used the one that was on the car when I bought it. Never had it running then, then I found the crack and decided to fit another engine. The original was 1991 the replacement one was a 1989. Swapped inlet manifold as the connections were different! Fitted new gasket no sealer. Also put the gasket on the correct way.

willysjam

I am not sure how to proceed with this now. What would you suggest the next stage of testing/removal? If anyone fancies a free weekend in Cornwall please bring spanners! Otherwise anyone want a project!!!

Cheers

steve@cornwall

Firstly I'd take the fuel rail and injectors off complete with injectors and quickly crank the car over and watch how the injectors behave. (Be prepared for the fuel spraying out, the injector can be positioned to spray down the injector holes) If all seems good and the injectors pulse rapidly and equally remove and either clean or replace the plugs as they can get very glazed from the overfuel.

While the plugs are out, remove fuel pump fuse (closest to driver on fuse box) and turn engine over to clear any fuel in cylinders.

Put it back together and see what happens.

When running it would be best to change oil and filter as the overfuel can dilute and thin the oil

• Like 1

willysjam

Thanks Steve for the advice. I took injectors out and turned it over. Fuel is gushing out of three of them. Do you still think try a different ECU and;or Fuel relay.

Thanks again to everyone for help so far

Tom Fenton

Sounds like they are stuck. Remove from the rail and rig up some wiring and rapidly pulse them with 12v see if you can get them going. They can and do stick through no use and/or being dry for a period. A tap with a screwdriver handle whilst powering them on/off can help shock them into life.

Anthony

If one injector only isn't firing then it's likely either a faulty injector or a wiring issue, assuming it's only a pulsing squirt of fuel as the engine cranks and not spraying continuously.

Swap the wiring around with a working injector and see if the fault follows the wiring or remains with the same injector as before.

willysjam

Thanks for the replies. I will give the ideas a try.

Speno has kindly offered to send down an ECU for me to try if the above doesnt help!

• Like 1

willysjam

I have got the injectors pulsing using Speno's 1.9 ECU. Will it do any harm to try and fire it up using this or should I wait until I get a 1.6 one!

Thanks

Anthony

Should be fine to start on 1.9 ECU but fuelling will be out so might not idle very well and don't run it under load.

If you need a replacement 1.6 GTi ECU then I've got a spare one here - say £13 posted.

speno

What I want to know is where have all my 1.6 ecu's gone . Come on who did I give them all to ?

Good news tho chap :o)

• Like 1

Anthony

What I want to know is where have all my 1.6 ecu's gone . Come on who did I give them all to ?

Good news tho chap :o)

Happy to swap you a 1.6 for a 1.9 ECU if you've numerous of them spare? I seem to have ended up with several 1.6 spares when I only have 1.9 powered cars...