• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Leslie green

Barn Find Laser Green 1.9 Gti.

Leslie green

The waxoyl I sprayed is still as soft as chicken soup but drying ok , will be a while in the cool temps from now on ,

Got the bonnet pin mount adjusted today , used a piece of round bar with an m8 bolt through it ( only bolt I could find in a hurry so had to space it out to stop denting bonnet skin)  This pulls on the threaded mount stopping it bending or pulling spotwelds and the round bar bends the piece the bonnet striker base sits on rather than just the threaded bit it screws into,worked fine and now matches striker plate perfectly .Heated the paint first incase it would crack. .I used a piece of tube over the mount to bend it easily and without going too far.

I also got a used beige slam panel  at last ( there seem scarse now in original paint , it's not good enough to use as is but will do for now and good to try and get a colour match ) as the one came with mine was black and I'm sure looking at pics 19988 to 1992 were all or certainly most were beige for a gti . I did notice though that there is a little bracket on the passenger side of the black one with 2 captive nuts the beige one doesn't have  ,does a gti use this as the slam panel may not be off a gti ,been years since mine was together ? Don't want to get it painted to find it's no use 

52486869614_a7ad4d8e0a_k.jpgIMG_20221108_162121 by Leslie, on Flickr

52486096852_23ab01ae39_k.jpgIMG_20221108_163154 by Leslie, on Flickr

Edited by Leslie green
  • Like 1

Tom Fenton

The bracket is for the shunt box, where the battery positive feeds off in the the rest of the car, I think a phase 2 thing maybe, my laser green ph 2 car has the shunt box mounted there but earlier cars don't.

Leslie green

Thanks we shall see when loom is in if it's a problem I guess.. I have the bulkhead insulation and heater box in with a new matrix, the underfloor clips for fuel and brake lines are all fitted and Bakerbm fuel lines clipped in. The servo has been painted drab green the original colour going by the back of it and I have been waiting 2 months for my powercoated parts to come back including the servo mount to make any progress but they arrived just before Xmas.

I painted the pads of the clutch and brake really should have sent them off too as they had some minor rust .I just got the accelerator pedal done at the time. I built up the pedal box today and I have a new master cylinder but despite being 20.6mm and I used a gti part number to find it it may not be right. The tube on the end seems to stick out more than the original but the original is siezed solid so I dunno if that's the issue? The mounting flange is thicker too which isn't a big issue and will do for making brake pipes for now (it was cheap )

52618945562_99e171fad2_k.jpgIMG_20221109_163951 by Leslie, on Flickr

52619725159_e8d5145233_k.jpgIMG_20230110_160749 by Leslie, on Flickr

52619457426_4b035280e7_k.jpgIMG_20230110_163448 by Leslie, on Flickr

52618945502_e5e37058a0_k.jpgIMG_20230110_162644_BURST002 by Leslie, on Flickr

• Like 1

welshpug

The MC should work as long as the dimension from the mounting flange to the pushrod location is the same.

• Thanks 1

Leslie green

Not got much done lately . too cold , working night shifts, can't be arsed lol ,Got the brake pipes made for the engine bay today , had got brake nuts of ebay and they were fully threaded  and bottomed out before clamping the pipes could have been a disaster if not spotted when I was making some practice joints . They appeared to clamp the pipe but didn't squish the flare so I knew something was wrong.. The original pipes were still on the car but were badly distorted out of shape to was hard to get the  new ones the way I wanted them.  I used Kunifer pipe this time put a good bit of time on and this is the best I can do. Several mistakes were made with forgetting the brake nut or letting it siide down the pipe then putting a bend it so It can't get back to where it's needed.

52652557486_3d2bf9375e_k.jpgIMG_20230127_164420 by Leslie, on Flickr

Edited by Leslie green
  • Thanks 1

Leslie green

Got some more brake pipes fitted under the car then gave the tank a good clean , it had a lot of underseal stuck to the bottom which took ages to get off plus some primer from previous work,petrol worked quite well on it ,then a sand of some of the heavy scores and then a run over with Scotchbite to smooth it out then a coat of autoglym rubber and plastic spray to shine it up a bit.Painted up the reducing valves one of which had heavy corrosion on the outside , no idea if them work but will leave for now as that would be another hundred quid I don't have at the minute  ! The Valves have an M12 brake nut on one side and M10 the other so it can't be fitted the wrong way round . Making lines up is quite time consuming and a few were scrapped on the way . Used almost 2 x 25 ft rolls so far . All clips are new and even taking the pipes on /off once to check lengths can knacker them . Trial fitted the tank to see the lines cleared ok and all seems well , will need to come off as I haven't tightened the lines up yet .

52665666978_375b005151_k.jpgIMG_20230202_141445 by Leslie, on Flickr

52665603040_2e1855bae2_k.jpgIMG_20230202_140835 by Leslie, on Flickr

52665666913_f218b87935_k.jpgIMG_20230202_163546 by Leslie, on Flickr

Edited by Leslie green
  • Thanks 1

Tom Fenton

Just looking at your picture, there should be a steel clamp ring on top of the fuel pump that the bolts clamp against. Looks like it’s missing. I do them in stainless if you need one.

Leslie green

I took it off for plating Tom, I thought that it was still away but it came back with the first batch I sent off and was in a box hiding , I had the pump out to clean out the tank swirl pot and look at the llittle pipe in the top for splits, looks like it would be a right fiddle to change  but I never sent the screws away and they are rusty as I was going to buy new ones but have put myself on a spend freeze for a while and just want to fit the bits I have for now as I've other bills to pay at the minute . If something is holding me up I will buy it but most things can wait and I've loads to be getting on with .

One query I noticed a  little hole in the pressure reducing valves ,does it need to point a certain way or maybe it doesn't matter , didn't tighten the fittings till I knew for sure , I'm guessing it doesn't matter as never heard any chat off it , maybe point down so water doesn't sit on it and work its way in and rust it .

Edited by Leslie green

Tom Fenton

Send me your address I'll send you some new stainless bolts, I have got a bag full.

• Thanks 1

Leslie green

Well I tried to fit the 4 top bushes in the axle tube today , I first tried to pull them in with a bolt and big washer .worked only so far then hammered them in with a socket but the last one would  only go in halfway and jammed and the flange for it was mangled. I had to drill the rubber and ruined the opposite one now too and am currently left with the thin wall of the bush which is a complete a*re to get back out . These are silly tight I did clean and file down any powdercoat that got in the tube, wasn't much  but there must be a ridge ,will dremel a bit with a drum sander before the new ones go in.

Leslie green

Well the 2 bushes were removed I found drilling the rubber to get the sleeve out them power fileing the metal case was the most effective , Dremil with a small sanding drum useless , once one was out I could get a chisel on the opposite one to batter it out then a quick run with a 30 mm flap wheel in the drill to smooth the surface.

Next problem once I got my parts blasted they went straight to the powder coaters that day , I looked at the top shock mounting hole on the axle brackets and it's ovalled on both of them , the bolts must have come loose ,anybody seen that before ?

Leslie green

Got the other 2 bushes fitted just as well I bought 3 more as even with another flab wheel the tight one stuck and bent the flange again. More clean up and looked around for something better to drive them in than a 33 mm socket and found the upright of a Halfords 3 ton axle stand fitted perfect and supported the bush much better and is a good length to get a decent whack at it  ,only 7 bushes used lol to fit 4 , after another cleanup and grease it went in at last .

I then had another look at the axle brackets and they look very worn , I was told the top shock hold was slotted ?  but this is much worse than that , look at that bolt ! I could weld a washer on the outside or look for a better pair . All 4 holes are worn but that's the worst.

52685211673_fce964737e_k.jpgIMG_20230212_161154 by Leslie, on Flickr

52684198402_bef156cad5_k.jpgIMG_20230212_161843 by Leslie, on Flickr

Edited by Leslie green

Tom Fenton

Too late now, but there should be a cut out in the bush outer casing that is supposed to face to 12 o clock. You would have been better pushing the bushes in rather than hitting them in. A big vice would probably do it, I use the press.

Welding a washer to your brackets would work. That must have made a real racket like that.

• Like 1

Leslie green

I have the cutout facing down way it came out 6 or 12 from what I read , to press then in you would still need something to press on outer edge as pushing on the face just compresses the rubber ,a little bit of that pipe would be ideal. So many times have needed a press over the years never got round to buying one yet.

And agreed the top shock mount must have been knocking loudly but they were tight when I undid then so sometime in the past .

jord294

Correct. Cut out is pointing down towards the tube. 

• Like 1

Leslie green

Even if not in right they are staying too much hassle lol luckily I read several build guides before starting but mistakes can still be made !

Further checks today show another  pair of bolt holes on the brackets that mount to the axle were also run slack and are oval so pointless trying to fix these now , the only bolts I can find back from platers that match top shock bolt M12 and 65mm  length are coarse thread ,the others are fine thread so assuming these are wrong too so have put a wanted ad up for 2 good axle brackets and genuine bolts , can't put these brackets on later as you can't get the bolts in with the arms on so this will hold me up although on nightshift all week now so no big deal. 2 steps forward one back lol

On another mote does anybody know what happened the Miamistu parts website I found it really handy for part numbers and diagrams etc seems to have vanished ?

Edited by Leslie green

jord294

I have genuine shock bolts available 

• Thanks 1

X-mo

What a work!!! Great to read and see :)

Noticed too that the Miamistu isn't available anymore. Try CatCar.info  :)

Edited by X-mo
  • Like 1

Leslie green

Thanks lads  will have a look at catcat as lost without miamaistu  

Reebmit

From initial peek Catcar looks good, thanks

drj545
On 2/13/2023 at 5:57 PM, Leslie green said:

Even if not in right they are staying too much hassle lol luckily I read several build guides before starting but mistakes can still be made !

Further checks today show another  pair of bolt holes on the brackets that mount to the axle were also run slack and are oval so pointless trying to fix these now , the only bolts I can find back from platers that match top shock bolt M12 and 65mm  length are coarse thread ,the others are fine thread so assuming these are wrong too so have put a wanted ad up for 2 good axle brackets and genuine bolts , can't put these brackets on later as you can't get the bolts in with the arms on so this will hold me up although on nightshift all week now so no big deal. 2 steps forward one back lol

On another mote does anybody know what happened the Miamistu parts website I found it really handy for part numbers and diagrams etc seems to have vanished ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/275678629357?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=nhvJm8Y9SvC&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=9lQfjQBBRty&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

This one bracket looks good, and bidding closes in 5 hours. 

Leslie green

Thanks Donald I was already watching that one , 1 down one to go 

Leslie green

Got Brackets now and away for powder coating ,

I was looking at the main part of the dash the big piece that bolts to the bulkhead , I snapped 2 of the bolts into the scuttle out of it years ago removing it ( read the haynes first not after lol ) , my question is did a phase 2 cars not have a black dash as I'm seeing 91 cars with dark grey ones or was black for the Gti only ?  I may have to fix what I have trying to plastic weld the pieces back in .

Edited by Leslie green