• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Castorkid

Top Gear 911R Vs 205 Rallye

Tom Fenton

Enjoyed watching that!

welshpug

local road, never driven up it though!

Reebmit

Thanks for posting and thats coming from a guy thats driven most cars on the planet!

pp205

Very entertaining, and his comment about the 205s A pillar made me laugh!

• Like 2

calvinhorse

Good find :)

changingman

As far as track cars go, I've had a couple of evos, a couple of mx5s, a couple of Robin Hoods, a couple of clios, an sx200, an audi tt and 8 x 205 gtis with various engines.

As far as I'm concerned, the little piece of french s*it as my mates call it is the best pound for pound track car that's ever been made , just sooooooo much fun no matter what engine it's got in it.

Edited by changingman

pug_ham

That's excellent!!

£13,000 for the 205 though. :o

g

Simes

That's excellent!!

g

I remember them in the late 80's dotted around France. I used to think they were the budget version of the GTI!

The AX Sport also commands a similar price tag - same engine btw.

John_B

local road, never driven up it though!

It's my closest decent road, not great distances between villages though.

This corner always terrifies me

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6457973,-3.5498262,3a,75y,106.95h,101.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sJXBa-PNpu8vCvb9gENZNhA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

Doesn't look like much until you see it from the other side!

https://www.google.com/maps/@51.6464541,-3.541101,3a,75y,254.56h,82.86t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ss4FLSW8yrjSDbEL45VXH5g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

John_B

That's excellent!!

g

Great vid but yeah so much money. I remember when I bought my second Gti and wondered whether £750 was too much!

• Like 1

205Rallee

https://youtu.be/JNNovwrEjLk

I wouldn't sell mine for £13k. They are a completely different car to the GTI's and I have both, not to say the Rallye is better as it definitely isn't as a road car. But for a flat out blast it makes the GTI feel like a truck.

• Like 2

changingman

https://youtu.be/JNNovwrEjLk

I wouldn't sell mine for £13k. They are a completely different car to the GTI's and I have both, not to say the Rallye is better as it definitely isn't as a road car. But for a flat out blast it makes the GTI feel like a truck.

Does it really? ?

Let me know if you ever take it on track! !!!!

jamie_1992

Did the euro rallye come with twin webbers?

Miles

Yes twin 40s on them, the Samba Rallye and as said the AX where all the same idea bar the Samba used the XY engine, its why most of us call the UK Rallye a stickered up base model which it is really

205Rallee

The euro Rallye came with twin Weber 40DCOM carbs, the AX Sport had two twin choke Solex carbs and a shorter inlet manifold due to the reduced amount of space between the engine and bulkhead. I think the official figures for the Rallye was 103bhp and the AX Sport was 101bhp.

• Like 1

dobboy

I think I'm right in saying the euro Rallye was only available as LHD as the carbs wouldn't fit in a RHD car because of the servo.

A guy not far from me has Richard Burns' reccy car. It's stunning. There's something interesting about the reg numbers on them, can't remember exactly what, but iirc Peugeot Sport themselves used/owned cars all with the same last three digits.

Wallby

I have that engine with the twin webers in my uk rallye, puts a smile on my face everytime I drive it!

ALEX

I thought the rallye was just a stripped out late spec XS.

jackherer

The UK one isn't even based on an XS, it is based on an XL or XR IIRC?

However the European left hand drive Rallye is based on GTI suspension with a crazy high revving 1.3 engine. Unless it is the later German one with an underpowered 1.9 engine...

welshpug

indeed, its quite a different thing to an xs or a gti.

bodyshell and running gear is essentially 1.6 gti, so wishbones not tca's, 40mm wide rear drums.

engine is a short block 1293 cc thing on twin 40's, ma sport ratio box.

ALEX

I vaguely remember first seeing them late on around K - L plate (might have been on fifth gear), this would mean they came with a CAT though wouldn't it? (I might be getting confused with the 106 Rallye)

With the same engine as my XS on a J plate (TU3) non cat, I'd have thought the rallye would be slower.

I always though the Ralley looked too much like the base model without the Gti kit, probably why it wasn't as popular.

edit. Im getting mixed up with the 106. :wacko:

Edited by ALEX

Leslie green

Nice video , guess his main argument is the 205 is more fun at legal speeds whereas the 911 is just too fast for the road !