• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
JoeBWS

Xs & Xr Engine

JoeBWS

Hi, can anyone tell me the difference between the 1400 engine from the XS and the engine from the XR?

Thanks Joe

Gaz205

About 10bhp

allye

Ali block vs iron, cam, carb

JoeBWS

Strange as this has an Alloy block, maybe its a factory odd ball or sometime during its life it had a swap.

Also will an inlet manifold made up for the tu3 fit a tu5? im going to be putting bike carbs on the tu3 but maybe sometime in the future i will swap it out for the tu5

Edited by JoeBWS

allye

That is odd, maybe it's been changed previously?

And

TU3 inlet and TU5 inlets are different if you are still talking about the xs, xr engine there is some TU3s that do share the same head stud pattern etc but not the engine that you are on with.

• Like 1

JoeBWS

Ah, thank you, im planning on tuning the TU3 engine up a little bitfor now see how it goes

And

They respond quite well depends how far you want to take it tho I went the TU3 bottom end and TU5 top end route but unless like me you change the Pistons and I changed to longer rods also you would end up with compression issues so it's not a route to head down unless you want to address that, I am currently about 118bhp at the flywheel on twin carbs and dizzy but just on with converting to full electronic and solid mounted bike throttle bodies setup.

JoeBWS

That sounds like a nice setup you have, all i was really going to do was bike carbs and a cam as i am on a budget and webers/throttle bodies are way over that

And

Just make sure you can fine someone who can tune the bike carbs they work well but it's still finding someone who is not afraid of them and can set them up correctly there are still a few tuners out there that can't..

RossD

Hold on, bit of misinformation going on in this thread!.... All of the 1.4's were Aluminium blocked up until about 1991. Then the cast iron TU3 was introduced.

The XS had the 85bhp TU3S lump. (Twin choke Solex carb, slightly wilder cam than normal TU3, alloy block, wet liners etc)

The XR / GR had a TU3 with 65bhp from 1988.(Single choke carb, tame camshaft, alloy block) Then in 1989 the TU3A with 70bhp was introduced. (Still a single choke carb, still alloy block) Then from 1991 the iron block 75bhp lump was introduced.(Either single point injection, or twin choke solex carb, but now a cast iron block)

Main differences between the engines are the cylinder heads, carbs (and hence inlet manifolds) and distributors. But in conclusion, they were all Alloy blocks up until about 1991.

Edited by RossD
  • Like 2

JoeBWS

Thanks Ross, thats cleared everything up for me, i was still a little confused but now i understand!