• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

DrSarty

Xmt - Sarty's Xsara GTI6 Turbo

Andy

My attempt at a few pictures

38C33C89-B7ED-41B4-8582-519A8E4D31E1.jpeg

F09C64C9-E029-42A2-9EAB-E8C65F8964D0.jpeg

911B9E1F-544B-468A-854C-3420B0D8CEBB.jpeg

BC83A82C-D1F7-4408-BAD5-17DD9F50DA9B.jpeg

DrSarty

Don't understand about the pictures folks. Sorry. They're on GooglePics and show fine for me on my laptop and my phone.

Guidance from the mods?

I'll comment on the cams after speaking to Andy, in context of me upsizing the IHI turbo. Not because I doubt the technical guidance, but because it would involve redoing some work, after waiting for cams from PeterT too, assuming he can supply me some.....(Pete? I can provide 2 sets of GTI6 cams in exchange.)

Type-R

Been a while since I checked in, great to see this coming along.

• Like 1

petert

Sorry, I don't have any GTi6 cams and they're hard to find now. With current Covid extortion postage costs both ways, it will probably cost you the same to buy something new in the UK. As it's all together, I'd probably leave it as is too. It will destroy BE gearboxes well enough.

camgti

I know where theres a spare set of gti6 cams local Pete if that can help. Went with that head to the bloke who bought Parrys Gti6. He wont need them he said so give him a buzz if that helps? 

Thijs_Rallye
17 hours ago, DrSarty said:

Don't understand about the pictures folks. Sorry. They're on GooglePics and show fine for me on my laptop and my phone.

You'll have to open each photo in a new tab and copy that URL. If you copy the URL whilst viewing it from your google drive (or photos) they are only visible while your google session is active.

Andy

And my attempt at an extra couple .Richard is now just waiting for the arrival of his rebuilt box with LSD and between us we will get the engine and box on first name terms and he will then insert into Xsara . 

2DE93FED-0D4E-4299-A751-03FE3BC7979D.jpeg

6E33C79E-B56E-4560-AD17-099DD108B2A4.jpeg

5D460495-9B60-47FD-B0EA-D664C7D1F8BC.jpeg

D4397CBD-0814-4943-BAE8-FE17EB4F3E0D.jpeg

DrSarty

Well it's been a few years, so I owe everyone, including myself.

Andy 205's work on the engine build during 'the pandemic' was a priceless move forward to a stalled project, what with relationships ending, house moves and job changes. You all know how it goes, as our beloved project cars just sit festering in a garage or under a car cover somewhere.

After trips to Thailand, Laos, Australia, Ireland, France, Scotland and Spain, I've eventually pulled my finger out and things are happening again.

The engine and refurbed gearbox with Quaiffe ATB diff were dropped in 2 years ago and I've just picked at the car every now and again.

But it's now been relocated, since I moved to Leominster (near Hereford and Worcester), to George/Goliath's workshop in Bristol thanks to a random call from George seeing how I was.

George and I - maybe with Welshpug too - will soon start a big blitz on finishing the car off so it can be started, mapped and enjoyed.

We have a new rear calliper to fit, gear linkages from Miles, a handbrake cable and driveshafts then a brake bleed. I'm ditching staged injectors and buying a single set, then it's really just a case of plumbing in hoses to suit us mounting the oil cooler and intercooler, then bolting other bits on like the starter motor and PAS pump. It's a long list to just work down of fitting stuff on, now it's all organised and in a wonderful workshop with ramps etc (and help).

The biggest change (read: cost) is moving to an Owen Racing Developments custom turbo instead of the Scooby IHI I had. This requires some modifications to the manifold turbo flange, the downpipe flange and the gearbox mounting bracket.

This turbo change will cost about £2.5k, but we'll get a fast spooling circa 400bhp motor instead of something functional but not achieving its potential.

There'll be an external rather than internal waste gate now, a turbo oil pressure regulator and EBC (Electronic Boost Controller) matched to the turbo, but with more generic fittings to simplify any future upgrades.

There's been quite a lot of work on the sound system and interior, but it's now time to get dirty and finish this off.

Thanks to George phoning me out of the blue and having the facilities and desire to help, including trailering the car down with me, this project is now on the move again.

Expect updates and pics very soon.

P.S. I realised some time ago that there's little to no Mi16 in this engine at all, so this topic isn't really correctly titled. It's an iron block from a diesel with a GTI6 head and sump (albeit they're mod'd), with a GTI6 inlet and TB. So if you are/anyone is expecting any lovely Mi-ness in here, then there isn't any. Sorry.

Edited by DrSarty
  • Like 1

Anthony

Crikey, Sarty's back! :)  Thought you'd vanished off the face of the earth - good to see you're still around and you, George and Mei are dusting the cobwebs off this to hopefully progress it some more..

DrSarty

Ah ha! Monsieur Shuttle.

I heard from George that you're still a legend in the 205 community.

If you're still in or near Swindon, then maybe you could show up in Bristol/at George's ace workshop and muck in.....?

I've always valued your experience, insight and ideas.... plus all the bits I've bought from you over the years.

Where are Pugtorque (Graham), Maxi (Adam?), Alistairh, Pip470? (Phil), BakerBBM (Stu) and Mr Fenton (Tom) to name a few?

Anthony

Life isn't as straightforward as it once was and I'm somewhat time poor these days, but if there's an invite and I'm free, then sure, I'll pop down to catch-up with y'all and help / hinder / suck through my teeth (as appropriate).

The forum community and some of the regulars have changed over the years, but certainly Graham and Tom are both on here regularly (if not daily) and Stew is still the driving force behind BakerBM :) 

petert

Well done Rich. Life is indeed hard and throws up lots of challenges. I'm sorry we didn't catch up in Dec. Not sure what happened there? My turbo build is also progressing, but really slowly. I should also do an update I suppose.

pug_ham

On 8/29/2023 at 5:37 PM, DrSarty said:

Where are Pugtorque (Graham), Maxi (Adam?), Alistairh, Pip470? (Phil), BakerBBM (Stu) and Mr Fenton (Tom) to name a few?

I'm still here most days around life, hoping to get a bit more time on at least one of my 205's over winter and get the engine from my Xsara VTS into one and on the road for next summer.

g

DrSarty

Thanks for the responses.

George (Goliath) and I did a blitz day the other weekend, but despite all the time and effort, the only major progress was that the driveshafts are in.

As many of you will know, there's always devil in the detail.

We needed to fit the water distribution/collection manifold at the back of the block first, because the intermediate driveshaft bearing mount & rear engine mount block access if you do those first.

So time gets used up cleaning gasket faces & finding the right bolts. Then you fit that bit.

Then you need to find the bolts for the driveshaft/rear engine mount combo & for the yolk into the subframe, plus the hockey stick bolts. Blame me for bad nut & bolt filing. BIG TIP HERE is that it's worth the effort bagging & labelling things! It pays dividends later.

After Miles refurbed the gearbox & fitted the Quaife ATB diff, we still had to refit the o/s driveshaft input housing to the diff, which meant finding 3 more bolts. This houses the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor), but we managed to fit it, but forgetting it needs the plastic worm gear to drive the VSS to provide not only a speed signal for the speedo itself, but the ECU will use the VSS for calcs related to boost control etc.

So after getting the driveshafts in, we had to remove & refit the O/S (2 piece) shaft to insert the VSS drive. Doh!

Then I filled the gearbox with oil suitable for the diff, almost without spilling a drop.

Then we replaced the drop links, but that needed an angle grinder to get rid of the old ones.

I cleaned the disks up & then replaced the rear left brake caliper.

Alongside this we reorganised parts & tools to help future sessions.

So after a rather long day, it's not drastic progress, but it's progress. Gotta keep chipping away eh?

Next session will be new handbrake cables, refill & bleed the brakes & get the beautiful exhaust manifold fitted & gas-sealed to the head, ready for the turbo to go in.

Need to buy the new turbo though, so need to rustle up £2.5k!!!!

Edited by DrSarty
  • Like 4

DrSarty

We're moving on. Pics next time.

Owen Racing Developments turbo package negotiated & ordered; they've been brilliant. V clamps, boost controller, oil pressure regulator, snail & other bits due in shortly. £2.2k so managed to get £300 off.

That £300 has bought 2 x Spal 11" cooling fans & other bits like new handbrake cables, which George & I fitted yesterday.

The water & oil cooling systems are going in now, & we start plumbing in the intercooler next weekend. The new turbo SHOULD just drop in, but will still need some mods to the downpipe & exhaust manifold flanges.

Inlet manifold has been beautifully powder coated (shiny shiny), & I'll buy injectors next now the fuel rail is in place.

While plumbing in the lower coolant hose that joins the bottom of the rad, via the right hand inner wing with the water manifold on the back of the block, we noticed that a chassis cross member had a nasty crease from where the previous owner probably smacked a kerb or something.

George & another one of his customers just waded in, ground things back, welded on tabs, slide hammered & dollied things back into place, primed & painted things & all I could do was watch in admiration & keep the place tidy.

Don't you love it when people care, step in, own problems & help selflessly!?

With a bit more time, the new turbo & mapping in spring next year, this should be a 380-400bhp sleeper monster!

• Like 3

DrSarty
Posted (edited)

Testing to see how to post images - like I used to, without issue - from Googke images. Bear with me.  Loads done the last few weeks with George....

Edited by DrSarty

DrSarty

Right!!! Someone treat me like a complete idiot & tell me how to include images. Not as links but showing in the post.

I used to upload to Photobucket but I've ditched that, then copy the *.img link & it appeared; job done.

That was all on PC. Now I'm trying to do it from a 'smartphone' (!!!), & I'm an IT project manager too (!!!!)... so I now feel thick as f*ck!

Tell me how to do it please.

P.S. Sorry.

petert

Hi Rich, don't be sorry. I think my turbo build is also slipping, with my wife not working. Here are the four steps I just did on my iPhone, in order. Sorry, no idea about others.

IMG_4854.PNG

IMG_4855.PNG

IMG_4856.PNG

IMG_4857.PNG

DrSarty

Testing testing....

20240106_125632~2.jpg

DrSarty

Good. Looks like it worked & was a simple as that. I thought that button was for adding attachments eg a document to download rather than include images.

Anyway:

George insisted on blasting & powder coating my cam covers. I'm glad he did.

Also shown is the non-George powder coated inlet manifold, complete with eBay badge.

2 x 11 inch Spal pull fans going on the rad from the 2004 Xsara mkII that George is breaking, as Welshpug spotted that the new rad I'd bought wasn't thick enough.

The engine bay has been tidied up, including concealing the orange power cable going to the battery in the boot. It had to be relocated to make way for the lovely Owen Developments turbo (pictures of this next time).

We've had to make several custom bits like coolant pipes to route around the exhaust, but thankfully fitting the PAS pump was easy because Welshpug found the part numbers for the tensioner & idler. We used the pump from George's 04 Xsara.

The wishbones have been fully refurbed & we're doing the rear beam next time. Engine is back in the car now & hopefully staying in now. The intercooler, rad & oil cooler can then also be fitted & get plumbed in. The IC is a Nissan 350z version modified to have the inlet & outlet on the same end.

IMG_20240108_26480.jpg

IMG_20240108_2616.jpg

IMG_20240108_25602.jpg

IMG_20240108_25228.jpg

IMG_20240108_24768.jpg

IMG_20240108_24290.jpg

IMG_20240108_23915.jpg

IMG_20240108_23524.jpg

IMG_20240108_23190.jpg

Thijs_Rallye
11 hours ago, DrSarty said:

IMG_20240108_23915.jpg

I don't know what medium you used to blast this prior to the coating but it may be wise to remove the breather cover / labyrinth to check for blasting grit. I've seen a newly built engine being ruined on the Dutch forum a few years ago which still had some blasting medium stuck in the breather of the valve cover.

DrSarty
Posted (edited)

George removed the black part (baffle/labyrinth) before blasting it, & he is  also extremely thorough. I know as I had to screw it back in.

Top tip though & would be a silly way to trash a possibly £4k engine! And that's not including the Owen Developments turbo, which is a beautiful piece of engineering BTW.

Although Owen Devs have been great, it did feel like there's a maybe unrealistic expectation that the customer knows what they're doing with the bits they've sent me.

Nothing about mounting it - needed a phone call consult for that - or even a basic diagram on how things fit together. There's an external waste gate & oil pressure regulator, & there will also be a boost controller. I'm not a complete numpty & will figure things out based on a reasonable account of base knowledge & help from 'you lot'. But it doesn't exactly come across as supportive; ie here's a big box with bits & your bill!

This may be par for the course, akin to a medical equipment company selling brain lobe separation tools. Maybe they have to accept a certain level of knowledge & competence to buy what you've bought.

But surely a basic diagram - even several generic layout potions - wouldn't go amiss!?

Edited by DrSarty
  • Like 2