• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
B1ack_Mi16

Hall Sensor That Will Fit Oem Crank Trigger?

B1ack_Mi16

Does anyone know if there exists such a sensor.

Hall effect that fits the orginal gearbox mounting hole?

I'm giving up the MS3 pro now, the magnetic VR sensor seem to be affected by temperature and with hot engine it will just not pick up the crank signal.

B1ack_Mi16

Yes I know, however I'm after something more of a bolt on solution, and more O.E. look.

I think I've found one that actually might do the trick. (Unless the tap is of wrong diameter, but it should at least be 24mm long according to some documentation I found).

BMW nr. 12141703277

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Top-Kurbelwellensensor-BMW-5-E39-528i-12141703277-/160564338098?hash=item2562615db2:g:wo8AAOSwCU1YsvQf

Or the Opel/Vauxhall/GM with bosch nr. 0261210030

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saab-CPS-Crankcase-Position-Sensor-Saab-900-9000-9-3-90451441-0261210030-20-/272208100402?hash=item3f60ddfc32:g:CBkAAOSw44BYNuUB&vxp=mtr

However I'm afraid the latter one will conflict with the engine block regarding wire outlet position.

welshpug

what ecu are you changing to? never had any problems with the oe sensor

B1ack_Mi16

MS3 Pro... Works like a charm as long as engine is cold.

Also runs with warm engine as long as it hasn't been stopped.

Problems occurs when trying to start the warm engine, ECU does not pick up any crank signal at all anymore....

A mate of mine had the same with a DTA on a OEM setup on an Audi A4 1.8T a couple of years ago.

Trying to change it to a Hall type sensor will at least give me an indication on whether it actually is the orginal sensor and heat that is the real problem, or if the problem is in the ECU itself.

petert

It depends on the quality of the sensor I think. I had similar issues just wanted to eliminate any chance of failure, thus I swapped to hall effect. It's hard to distort a 12V square wave compared to a mV AC wave.

B1ack_Mi16

It is however strange that the budget Emerald M3D seem to coope without any problems on the orginal sensors etc.

And also the orginal Bosch and Magneti Marelli ones, so something of bad quality / poor engineering it must be.

I also tried 3 different sensors, 2 of one design (black ones rubber/plastic) and one of the metal ones, without any change in behaviour.

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

B1ack_Mi16

I can now confirm that this BMW Hall sensor is a perfect OEM. fit for our cars.

It has the exact same measurements for every important dimension. Correct length, diameter and bolt hole offset.

20170327_202155_zpszenbq1zu.jpg

20170327_202142_zpsgdzkycal.jpg

Anthony

Nicely found.

Have you got the part number or know which BMW model / engines it is used on?

B1ack_Mi16

Look in post 4 :)

Edit: However I can also confirm that the orginal VR sensor works just fine, my problem with the MS3 Pro was that during hot cranking the voltage dropped below 5volts... which shuts the ECU down.

Have improved the wiring a bit now and it starts just fine hot on the VR sensor.

Anyhow it is nice to have a bolt on Hall sensor alternative. Just need to figure out the wiring of it.

Edited by B1ack_Mi16

welshpug

noticed that they looked the same years ago but never had cause to confirm that they were dimensionally the same!

a very common part then.

care to enlighten us the difference between the two types?

B1ack_Mi16

I think the difference is easier to get thought on youtube.

I'm really not much into it, was just investigating it due to my problems hot starting, and thought it was a problem with the orginal VR sensor.

petert

care to enlighten us the difference between the two types?

One is square wave DC, the other very low voltage AC.