• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

hoodygoodwood

Future Classic To Buy Now For Under £1000

hoodygoodwood

If only I had a bit more storage space it would be nice to pick up a 106 or 306 Rallye to put away before the prices move out of reach . There are some real bargains out there which made me wonder what you could buy for under £1000 that might be a classic in a few years .

1. Ford Puma , lots of these for sale at this price , just find one with little or no rust in the rear arches and tidy it up .

2. Citroen Saxo VTR , You probably would not get a decent VTS for this much money but the VTR is still a great little hot hatch .

Any more ?

Gaz205

Possibly a ford sportka

Alastairh

Phase 1 Clio 172?

• Like 1

Gaz205

Phase 1 Clio 172?

I think the ph2 cup will take their glory away

Talking clio's, I think a 200 will be the ones to tuck away, being the last N/A clio rs they will have ever made that actually has something about it

Edited by Gaz205

Clarky3rdNut

Mazda RX8? These have completely bottomed out now. If Mazda have finally given up on the Wankel then surely these will increase one day.

hoodygoodwood

I pulled up next to a flat bed truck the other day with 4 cars piled on it on the way to the scrapyard , a BMW 3 series compact , new type VW beetle and a Astra coupe , I am always amazed by what is scrapped these days . The 3 series compact would be an interesting classic ( with a 6 cylinder dropped in )

Gaz205

I pulled up next to a flat bed truck the other day with 4 cars piled on it on the way to the scrapyard , a BMW 3 series compact , new type VW beetle and a Astra coupe , I am always amazed by what is scrapped these days . The 3 series compact would be an interesting classic ( with a 6 cylinder dropped in )

They did do a 325i compact, I'm not sure whether it was any good or not though...

farmer

I would be surprised if the Saxo become a cult classic

The rust on some of these cars is quite shocking

The badge hinders them a bit as well

allye

Will the Xsara VTS every fully Ripen and come of age?

Or will it always be the 306's badly made ugly as s*it cousin!?

306 phase 1 GTI's?

Dare I say it 306 Dturbo (of any age)

As we are on a 205 site. STDT? Pioneer of all modern sporty diesels (I think?)

Gaz205

A lot of these mentioned are already pretty extinct

Gaz205

Ph1 172 is a better car than a Ph2 cup. Lighter, less complicated, better interior and now the ugly duckling looks are becoming loved. They're very well thought of in clio enthusaists, especially in the rare colours too, yellow, red, blue.

However not youll get any decent one for even around £1k

Not knocking them at all, I had an early ph2 172 simply because of how ugly the phase 1 was. They are nicknamed the ph quick for a reason I just think people would want one because they are rare rather than the better set up and more focused cup. I think the cups are starting to climb already to be honest due to all the trophys being extortionate

acox99

Alfa gtv or the later Alfa gt can be had for a grand or less

AlexRS2782

Saxo VTS

When did you last see one?

I had one a couple of years ago as a part cheap daily / part track car, but like most it had already had a bit of a hard / interestingly modified life courtesy of at least 1 previous owner :(

Sadly, like Farmer mentioned earlier, the shell itself had already developed a fairly nasty rust habit in both rear quarters where the water got in behind the plastic popped on arch kit and sat between the shell & sill :(

In the end the car ended up being stripped for the valuable modifications / parts and the shell sold for minimal £££ to someone who wanted a spare shell for their own StockHatch car.

Edited by AlexRS2782

hoodygoodwood

The 306 cabrio is the best looking convertible in its class and you could get a reasonable one for a grand .

Might be harder to find a Ford Focus ST170 for the same money but as a Ford its almost certain to appreciate more .

ATK

Saxo VTR of ph2 Clio 172. Had a clio 172 cracking car.

barneys66

Mk3 Golf GTI, as the Mk2s continue to climb they'll be dragged up.

Mk1 Golf cabriolets are still great value for money.

Mazda MX5 - might be a bit of an ask at 1k as they're on their way up now..

Caveat for all of the above is they have to be original with history!

Gaz205

I'd say pretty much every car we have owned in our youth?! For us older ones anyway ????

Maybe they don't make cars like they used to

(Can't believe I've said that)

Roon

Fiesta zetec s mk5.

Had a couple of these one with ford racing puma running gear. Rare on the road now especially one without rusty arches.

Cracking all round warmhatch!

nomis

Not sure whether it will make classic status but my cousin bought a really nice looking 02 plate Saab 9-5, 2.0 litre turbo, petrol with 75,000 miles on the clock and one owner for £75 the other day.

He just drove it all the way to the Alps to deliver to his sister who lives out there. No problems.

Alfa GTV is a good shout. You can also get a Fiat Coupe for a grand if you look hard enough.

Mind you, I reckon if you're hunting down a future classic paying £2,000 will get you a whole world more choice. A decent Jaguar XJ, for example, or a Renault Avantime,

barneys66

Ooh, Saabs - I had a 9000 2.3 full pressure turbo with a manual box and loved that car.

Therefore, I'll add a Saab 9000 Aero (manual) to this list.

• Like 1

tartanbloke

Clio 172 Cup without ABS, Aircon, Stereo, a cloth interior, thinner windscreen and speedline turini alloys. Proper little drivers car.

toolie72

I'd say pretty much every car we have owned in our youth?! For us older ones anyway

Maybe they don't make cars like they used to

(Can't believe I've said that)

Yeah I know-and arent policemen getting younger

Gaz205

Yeah I know-and arent policemen getting younger

Not heard that one for a while!