• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Coil Wiring

Andy

I am using a set of four coil on plug coils from the mk2 405 Mi16/ 306 s16 engine. I plan to drive them in pairs from the ignition drivers in my Emerald K6 ecu. Slight snag is that I am not sure on the pin out connections on each coil. They are three pin JPT male sockets and I assume that one pin is +12v, one is ground and one is trigger. Anyone know which is which ?

Andy

welshpug

theres a wiring diagram for this engine on the forum somewhere, I posted loads a year or two ago.

Andy

Thank you. I found the diagrams and now know where each of the three pins should go. Only snag left is that on my coils, the pins are not numbered so a bit more research needed.

jackherer

Some JPT plugs have pin numbers on the casing.

E.g. :

1855017-500.jpg

Andy

Good point I have not looked at my new plugs.

Andy

I made contact with the coil supplier yesterday to see if they could help. They could not but did agree to contact the manufacturer . I suppose my other option is to see if I can track down an original with its loom so that I can identify the pin configuration via the wiring colours/ numbers

petert

I made contact with the coil supplier yesterday to see if they could help. They could not but did agree to contact the manufacturer . I suppose my other option is to see if I can track down an original with its loom so that I can identify the pin configuration via the wiring colours/ numbers

I've got a factory XU10J4 manual. I'll run it through the scanner tomorrow.

petert

Hope this helps.

post-2864-0-65836500-1487674692_thumb.jpg

Andy

Thanks all for your help. The snag is not that I do not know which pin is for what, but that the pins on the coil are not numbered, so, yes, pin one is +12 v, pin 2 is ground and pin 3 is trigger. However, because there is no numbering on the coil, pin 2 logically is the centre pin but pins one and three could be left to right or right to left. It may be that my supplier gets back to me, but my best option is to contact someone who has an o.e system and ask them to tell me the wire numbers on the coil plug, looking from, say left to right, as from that I can then tell which pin is which.

Thanks for the diagram Peter, but from the looks of it, those coils are the later two wire ones with an earth via the coil core as they are bolted down, whereas the early type had no bolt fixing. Welshpug has posted a load of circuit diagrams for various cars elsewhere on the site that B1ack-Mi16 refers to above which have been/ are helpful. Beginning to think that I should have stuck with a coil pack and wasted spark, but this route is much more elegant as long as I have correctly assumed that the trigger transistors are in the coils so that the ecu supplies the pulse on pin 3 to disconnect the primary current .

Andy

welshpug

look at the plug above, pin 1 is on the right looking at the coil, left looking at the front of the plug.

Andy

Yep. That is the plug. I would have to assume that the unmarked socket on the coil is numbered that way. That would be fine if all 3 pin JPT sockets and plugs had a universal numbering system as the photo above, but I cannot be sure that they do. I have bought a set of JPT plugs as per the photo above that are not numbered, so I would be back to assuming that pin orientation.

Andy

Andy

P.s thread hijack. Welshpug; payment for the rack made last night. Many thanks.

jackherer

They are all numbered the same and they are keyed so they can only go on one way round. Use the pin numbers on the plug I posted a photo of.

petert

Pin 2 is definitely earth in my pic as well.

Andy

Thanks Peter. From your diagram it looked as if pin 2 was left unconnected, hence my assumption that ground was via the coil core. And thanks to you too jackherer for the plug photo. If you are confident that all JPT plugs are numbered the same way, then my problem is solved and I can wire each coil to fire sequentially . My hesitation was that I was unsure of the universality of JPT plug and socket numbering . I appreciate that they will only fit in one way, but , before your latest post, could still have been numbered in either direction, and at £50 per coil , I really did not want to fry one

Andy

jackherer

I'm 100% confident.

Andy

Thank you. Help much appreciated