• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

TheLarneMan

Pas Hose Fittings On The Rack

TheLarneMan

Can anybody confirm the correct fitting of the hoses on a 1990 205 GTI PAS rack? (It's been Mi16 converted and I'm using the PAS pump on top of the gearbox)

My understanding is:

The upper outlet on the rack is the high-pressure hose and it goes to the back of the PAS pump.

The lower outlet on the rack is the low-pressure hose and it goes to the side inlet of the reservoir (via the 'cooler' underneath the car).

Thanks.

Miles

Yes, not all car's had the cooling loop and not really needed unless pushed hard on Track

petert

I ran without a cooling loop on my track car for many years. It doesn't get really hot until you increase the caster.

TheLarneMan

Thanks for the input Miles and Peter.

Just making sure it was all plumbed in properly before I started troubleshooting the lack of power assistance.

I was getting very little assistance and I put it down to the pump being at fault as everything else seemed fine.

As it turned out, it was the belt. I was using a Contitech 550mm belt (the one EuroCarParts sell for this setup). I always thought it was a bit skinny as it didn't seem to fit snuggly in the pulleys. I ignored it as it was the right belt for the car and assumed that was just how it fitted.

I noticed a bit of fraying on it and swapped it for a genuine Peugeot part (456912, now referred to as 5750SL) made by Gates - £14.

It's a much better, tighter fit. This belt is a bit wider than the old Contitech belt.

Tightened it up, bled it, topped up the fluid and I now have some proper power assistance :D

Tom Fenton

Good info. I've also struggled with a Conti belt in this application before. I don't suppose you have the GATES part ref off your belt do you?

TheLarneMan

There's info on the belt itself.

I'll check it out for you later.

TheLarneMan

Tom

The codes on the belt are:

AV10 HR-540

LE/530 LP

They don't seem to appear on the Gates online catalogue. The catalogue suggests part 6392MC.

Cheers.

Tom Fenton

Great info, thanks. I'll see if it means anything to who I use.