• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

yorkshirekowboy

Anybody Taken Car Locks To Bits? Can It Be Done?

yorkshirekowboy

Hello, I have a boot lock which the dust flap part of it is very loose and doesn't return. Anybody know if this can be fixed by me or by a locksmith? Anybody had any experience of this matter? I could get hold of another boot lock with a working dust flap so maybe the top part of the lock could be replaced?. I ant to keep the same key you see. Thanks Danny

toolie72

Yeah did it to mine-lock was rusted solid

Very footery but possible (not on a gravel drive just in case lol)

yorkshirekowboy

Sweet, so how did you get the boot lock from the mechanism part? How easy are they to take apart?.

hoodygoodwood

You could try squirting some 3 in one oil ( or another thin type oil ) into the internals of the lock and move it around with the key , it might loosen up the mechanism and free the dust flap as they can get gummy with age .

yorkshirekowboy

Hello, I've done that, the flap is loose. It doesn't matter really but hey if there is a small easy fixable solution then it has my name on it. ????

steve@cornwall

There is a small spring under the dust flap. Not got a boot lock apart yet but have done some door locks to match existing keys. Will follow this with interest.

Edited by steve@cornwall

yorkshirekowboy

Steve, I'm wondering then if it is easier to match a boot lock to my key then. Hmm I was thinking maybe the dust cap is just a cover that when it is apart could clip off then a new one.?? How hard is it to match another lock to your existing key. I gather it's all about taking the pond and swapping etc. ? I will update you on it for definite

Edited by surferkid205

steve@cornwall

The chrome covers are pressed around the lock body and getting them off in decent shape is difficult, let alone refitting. It may actually be an alternative to fit replace the tumblers into a replacement boot lock, and therefore not having to disassemble the actual lock from the rest of it's mechanism.

It's on my to do list to make a boot lock fit my key to complete a set on my diesel, but it's not high on the priority list right now.

DamirGTI

http://forum.205gtidrivers.com/index.php?showtopic=86943

As said , chrome parts are really hard to dismantle/assemble without damaging them .. personally i'd find an good spare boot lock and just "re-set" the mechanism to suit the OE key .

D

Edited by DamirGTI

yorkshirekowboy

Brilliant guide. Just an update I have managed to take the boot lock mechanism apart and the lock and have successfully took the springs and rollers (cams or pins) out. It's quite an easy job.

Because I haven't got another boot lock yet I managed to put the lock back together and to my delight it works. The key that is).

I will need to get a couple of these boot locks as you have to break some of the casing to get it apart. So make one good out of a few. Good news.

Edited by surferkid205

steve@cornwall

For my door lock I got the tumblers and springs out by carefully grinding off the plate covering them as it was too firmly glued in place. At this point on a replacement lock you could replace the tumblers with yours to match the key. I then cut some coke can to cover the top and epoxied it in place.

yorkshirekowboy

Hello, good tip. I managed to get the metal piece that holds the tumblers out by using a knife and up it came. When I swap to another lock I will epoxy this back in place. ( only the top)

Edited by surferkid205

petert

I once lost my key(s). The locksmith made a new key from the driver’s side door barrel. Luckily the car was unlocked.

MrAndy
On 11/26/2021 at 12:18 PM, pug_ham said:

@Leet205  Can make any lockset match one key .

Lock modification service

g

He made me a full set of locks a while ago. I am very happy with the result!!!

A

Edited by MrAndy

barneys66
On 11/25/2021 at 4:03 PM, WinstonRudolph said:

I took my car locks to an auto locksmith store and they then repaired it for me.

Spam post resurrecting a thread from 2017..:rolleyes::excl: