• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Grez28

306 Hdi Rear Calipers Binding.

Grez28

Hello, had a look through all the topics relating to the rear calipers on the 1.9 Gti but can't find anything about my problem. As far as I know they are the same apart from the 30/32mm piston diameter.

Anyway the problem I am having is when I rebuilt the beam I replaced rear flexes, handbrake cables disks and pads with brand new and fully rebuilt the rear callipers including brand new pistons.

Now I have rebuilt the back end and bled the brakes and they work well apart from when I release the brake pedal the rear brakes bind heavily, the only thing that releases the rear brakes is to apply the handbrake firmly and release. Also if I loosen the pad carrier bolts the brake frees up but binds again once I nip them up again. Calipers sliders are in good condition and move freely and handbrake cables are not holding brakes on. Any recommendations or ideas would be welcome.

Graham.

welshpug

if nipping the bolts up affects it there's probably something bent or misplaced.

Grez28

Everything seemed to be in good condition but I can check again, and I think brakes went together correctly.

Ozymandis

Bent caliper bolts do this.

jackherer

As do bent lugs on the trailing arms, I had that once after the pads were ejected and got caught inside the rim.

Are both sides binding? If so it's unlikely to be caused by damage unless the same thing happened to both sides.

Bakes100

Ive had binding brakes from a failed 1.9 in line brake compensator, although this sounds like bent bolts as above.

Grez28

Cheers for the replies, I was careful when I was collecting parts to rebuild beam. All parts came from an xsara vts beam I had saved that I knew had never been touched off an extremely low mileage car so didn't think anything was damaged as I did all pressing of wheel bearings and trailing arm shafts myself and was careful. It turned out that the pistons from the rebuild kit were slightly different from the originals and the snap ring didnt seat properly into the groove once all the auto adjust handbrake parts were in. When I was applying the foot brake the snap ring was riding out of its groove holding the piston out but putting the handbrake on pushed it back into its groove freeing the brakes of. I replaced the snap rings with internal circlips and foot brake and hand brake are working correctly again. I had forgotten how good these handbrakes were when everything is free and in good nick.

Ozymandis

More crap pattern parts? They get everywhere.

Grez28

Yeah I'm afraid so. Parts were all from Big red and are normally good quality.