• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Bobbafett

New Box; Crunchy Second, No Reverse.

Bobbafett

I have just refitted a 1.6 BE3 box on my 1.9 after fitting a new clutch, flywheel etc. The box was second hand but assured that it was a decent box and the gears selected ok when I tried them.

Now i've fitted it, 2nd is hard to get into (you have to whack it in quite hard to get it in) and I cannot get it into reverse. I can get it into reverse by hand if I shove the selectors myself from under the car.

The box was sat for a while with no oil in so has only just been refilled (new oil, 2 litres). I have fitted new clutch arm bushes (the correct ones) and a new clutch cable, tightened correctly.

Any ideas? Hoping it's something simple.

• Like 1

jackherer

Is it hard to get it into second all the time or just with the engine running?

toolie72

I'd go over linkages first to eliminate them, just cos yours worked on old box doesn't necessarily mean it'll work on new one if you're not sure of past history

And it's best scenario too

2nd is always gonna get abuse but as you've grief in reverse too I'd hope for the best

Bobbafett

I haven't had the engine running with the new box yet because I don't want to go too far with refitting everything if the new box is duff.

I have the uprated adjustable rods from Miles. Is it possible they just need adjusting? I would have thought the lengths required would be the same?

jackherer

If it's hard to select gears with the engine not running but you can select them using the selectors on the box manually it is almost certainly a linkage issue, what sort of position is the gearstick in? They may just need some adjustment, it's certainly where I would start based on your description.

Bobbafett

I'll give that a try tomorrow and report back. Annoying because I had such a faf getting the box off and then back on on my own!

2nd and reverse do engage but 2nd is def a bit tough(guess that's synchro) but reverse doesn't seem to engage really positively. Here's hoping!

Miles

If the gear stick is central ish then the linkages are fine as even with them out selection is normally OK as 205 vary allot, Anything catching the gearstick etc?

Bobbafett

If the gear stick is central ish then the linkages are fine as even with them out selection is normally OK as 205 vary allot, Anything catching the gearstick etc?

Now you mention it I do remember the gearstick possibly being slightly to one side at neutral. I just assumed a BE3 box off and a BE3 box on, the linkages would be the same length. I remember when I fitted them I just roughly did them to length and they were fine. Pretty sure nothing is fouling anything.

I guess the only way to really know is to get everything back together and check with the engine going. Be annoying if I drive it out of the garage and can't reverse it back in though :)

welshpug

what oil have you put in it? they are very sensitive to the incorrect oils.

Bobbafett

Total BV 75/80. It has been sat for a while without oil though so maybe it just needs firing up to circulate the oil?

welshpug

That's ok then, hasn't got a 4 branch manifold on there has it?

Bobbafett

Managed to get back out there and actually I cannot engage reverse by hand. It just won't go. 2nd is also very hard to engage by hand but doable with the stick.

It'll pop that little bit further out like it's going to go but then won't move over and engage. Any ideas? My old box everything engages nice and easy by hand.

Bobbafett

I guess what I could do with knowing is that there is any way or possibility that reverse could not engage without the engine running; in which case i'll carry on re-assembling everything and get it going. Otherwise it'll be much easier for me to get another gearbox/fix my old one and refit now!

steve@cornwall

If it's sat for a long time, I wonder if the reverse light switch could seize?

• Like 1

Bobbafett

I did fit a new reverse light switch if it helps!

EDIT: Is there any way the switch could physically interfere with the actual engaging of the gear? Thinking outside the box here as I notice there seem to be a couple of variations on eBay. Pretty sure the one I fitted was identical to the one I removed though.

Edited by Bobbafett

Bobbafett

SORTED!!! I fitted the wrong reverse switch! (the longer one). Just went out and removed it; slipped straight into reverse !!!!! Thanks Steve you legend!

Edited by Bobbafett

Mikey S

I highly doubt it if I'm honest. It's just a small switch that moves into the body of the switch when reverse is selected.

I'd be more inclined to get it back together and running then see how it feels selecting gears then.

Mike

Mikey S

Haha! Must of been writing my post as you were! Glad it's sorted!

Bobbafett

It also slips into second like a beaut now! I've had a few beers and the missus thinks i'm off it but i'm having another one now!! Who would have thought it eh?

welshpug

did you fit a be1 switch into a be3 on your pre 1990 car?

steve@cornwall

Been there..Done it.

Bobbafett

Yes I did fit a BE1 switch into my Ph1.5 1989 with a BE3 :) Who'd have thought it'd stop reverse and make 2nd bad though?

Tom Fenton

Put the two switches side by side and you'll see why! Glad you have sorted it though.