• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Andy

[Car_Upgrade] Yet Another Mi16 1.9 Build

Andy

Insurance update. The insurers have been good, They are willing to pay out on the agreed value, less my £100 excess and allow me to buy back the car, but there is a rub. I can have the car back to remove parts, but they want to be able to collect a rolling shell from me , and will not pay out until the rolling shell has been collected( cat B write -off so I see their point)

So, guess who is a busy boy removing parts and, thanks to the star whose name is Speno, I can remove my suspension and replace it with some crusty old bits. The only other snag is my severe lack of storage space, so I am going to sell the engine and box, as I have another rebuilt box on my workbench and another engine in the pipeline that is worthy of the engine management system currently on this one. Fast forward, dear reader, to the ‘ for sale ‘ section 

Tom Fenton

I hope it is only going to be rolling on 3 wheels following the accident damage that left it as such!

Andy

Good point. I did reiterate to the Insurers that as the car was far from rolling after the accident they could not expect its condition to have improved prior to its collection.

Andy

Back from cycling holiday in Scotland. Begun to pull the car apart ( sob) prior to the rolling shell being taken to the crusher . Not nice work. 

petert

It's been typical UK weather here this weekend; wind and rain. Zero bike km achieved.

Andy

Sorry about your rough weather. Glorious here! Shell now stripped and off to meet its maker ( well, a crusher) on Monday. Garage and loft now full of bits , bar an engine and box which will be in Speno’s 309 before the sun sets on Saturday. 

Andy

As planned , the remains of the car was transported off in to the sunset ( literally ) late on Monday afternoon. . Insurance company have been absolutely brilliant and paid out the agreed value , less the buy back , less than 24 hours later . Now, because  I am an impetuous individual ( and have invested significantly in my rebuilt Mi16 box with ATB diff and lots of parts for a new XU9J4 engine with PeterT cams, solid lifters, forged rods and pistons, etc, ) I needed a205 to put above bits in.  So. H reg 1.9gti arrives next Wednesday morning. Photographs to follow on arrival . ( I could not quite face another bare shell rebuild, but have lots of really nice bits to transfer to my ‘new ‘ car in the months to come )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Andy

Arrived this morning at 7.15 am. ( only just got back from my bike ride) . I like the colour, even though it is not o.e, but then quite a few things on it are not o.e.  Spent today removing the awful alarm/ immobiliser that had graced the car for  nearly 20 years.   Next job is to remove seats and replace with my Cobra recliners, remove and clean the carpet, put some underfelt in and about a hundred other jobs, but not in a great rush. 

Some parts now for sale, including those wheels and a really good fully rebuilt beam. Proceed to the ‘for sale’ section for further info.

Andy

Andy

Whoops. Forgot photographs 

35438806-C4EE-4234-969F-F7AF91D83494.jpeg

9F8A7975-E74B-4F61-BD0B-41023E4882EB.jpeg

4175AFC7-DB2B-44B7-BF81-4F4740EA20AD.jpeg

0F641330-8FFF-4C5B-8337-9B3A6593403C.jpeg

Gaz205

I've seen that 205 online for sale before Andy and always thought the colour was fab, but could it really look that good?

Looks even better in those pics. Sorry to hear about the mis hap but I'm sure you will crack on this summer (when the clouds lift around where you live of course),

Andy

Morning, 

The colour is excellent ( the first thing that caught my eye when I was looking ) and even better in the flesh ( well, metal). Whoever painted it did a very good job: the finish is exceptional . Right about the weather, full and grey here. If you  are passing, do drop by for a nose round .

Andy

Gaz205

I will take you up on that as I want to borrow the weigh bridge at Cromford on the way past, so will make it a nice run out.

Ill bring my wallet too judging by the amount of stripping you are doing! :D

Andy

Loft full of stuff, although some bits are destined for the new car.

Andy

Andy

Bit of internal work today, installing battery cable and rear brake lines, fixing some dodgy trim , replacing the rear speakers and beginning to get some sound deadening in place. 

BC0A0655-C4C2-4033-808C-AC08198AAF4F.jpeg

DD561336-4F39-4905-B058-E50810F7C837.jpeg

7DD25D2A-CAB3-4C86-81E6-035322FFBED2.jpeg

Andy

Interior complete and in decent shape. Next job was going to be sorting the suspension ride height front and rear but managed to fall off my bike so shoulder, arm, hip and knee a bit sore, certainly too sore to be lying underneath the car playing suspension , so attacking the scuttle area instead as the respray did not venture quite that far.

085EC060-229B-4DBE-949D-F31E89B304A5.jpeg

669318F8-8AC9-41D3-B99E-0ECEF4F34852.jpeg

2794FBA2-74C7-446C-9326-A6D8D2D00479.jpeg

138037CF-1C67-4583-95CF-158D86DE0EFE.jpeg

image.jpg

petert

Oh no, bike injury. That interior looks fantastic. Whilst you guys do it tough with rust, we do it tough with sun damage.

Andy

And one scuttle painted, courtesy of Halfords rattle cans. Amazed how good the colour match is.

A1B6A11D-B144-48D1-B8C9-12F5FF24A483.jpeg

FF366FD6-C6B2-4C3F-A447-FFEA41E320C8.jpeg

• Like 1

Andy

Nest piece of work was supposed to be a reset of the ride height. Snag was that one of the torsion bars was reluctant to move, so beam out , fuel tank out, bit  of fettling underneath( it was very good ) . I then put back ‘my’ tank that has a brand new pump, fixed the poorly fitted fuel filler and am about to put  in the undertank heat shield that the previous owner omitted , then beam back in and a bit of a re-pipe of the brakes now that I have the rear brake line inside the car. Rude not to use it now. 

It was not my intention to do this much at the moment , but it does mean that I will have to take off the front struts and put ‘mine’ on, so the B6’s that are on the car will be available, for which Bakes100 has first dibs 

BF5EEF1E-6DDE-48A1-A747-1F016FCAB3A9.jpeg

801263B3-2F83-485D-BB09-15B82614CE5B.jpeg

BB713A34-8703-41B5-AAB5-806343A471F0.jpeg

Telf

good work! is that the Grey 205 that's been on Ebay for a while now? Looks good.

Andy

Yep. That’s the one. Classic car dealership on the South coast near Southampton.

Andy

Beam back in place along with the braking system and the Speedlines 

E42E3920-C13E-4CDB-8AD4-22B37C27FCAE.jpeg

50FC8ED6-3153-400C-82DC-B2FC21361D76.jpeg

CF468A3B-7C24-4473-B87D-9DFD9007F3DB.jpeg

9D24F241-3A03-43BB-AAB0-9EC9F72CF2B9.jpeg

4250ED03-F28C-4277-983D-D3EA3DCCCAF5.jpeg

Banjo

Any updates? Looks sweet in grey

wicked

I can hardly believe that I will say this, because I hate black rims and love the PTS rims... but....

I think it looked better with the black 1.9 speedlines..  :blush:

Color of the car looks surprisingly good!!

Andy

I agree with you. The black Speedlines looked  great , but would not fit over my 6 pot calipers, so had to use my SL434’s . As for progress on the car, I have just taken it off the road to remove its standard 1.9 8v and replace it with my ‘ soon to be built 2.3 16v, Mi16 box, bodies , fresh wiring etc. Unfortunately, on stripping the bay I found some rust in the front panel , so now have more work to do than I had planned. I had hoped just to strip the bay,  clean, prepare for paint , paint and then install all my ‘goodies’ . The pictures below show that I have one or two extra jobs to do first.

Oh. Just tried to upload pictures and not allowed to,upload  more than 1.19mb, so I will try reducing the size of my photos.