Welcome to the brand new 205GTIDrivers.com website! We hope you'll enjoy it! Read the full notice here.

Telf

[Body_Work] Rust Rust And More Rust!

Telf

Now that the car is stripped I'm thinking about making it a bit more reliable. As the looming is all out I am considering installing an emerald ECU in place of the stock setup. Cost aside whats peoples opinions of doing this? I haven't fully researched it yet but i resume that alot of the original ignition system would be redundant, hence my thoughts of doing it now whilst the car is in bits.

Any thoughts muchly appreciated 

jackherer

You want to rip all the ignition stuff out, throw it away, then fit a wasted spark coil pack with no moving parts.

Your best bet is to download the Emerald manual and look at the wiring diagrams - http://www.emeraldm3d.com/media/software-manuals/Emerald K3 Manual v057.pdf - look for the distributorless config, they can be made to work with distributors but it makes no sense to keep the moving parts.

Telf

kieran , its you that got me thinking about this... I just cant decide if to do it or not!

jackherer

Depends if you want to drive it or look at it :P

• Haha 1

Telf

look at it..yeah that's definitely my plan.. or B!

so if i fit an emerald ECU i can get rid of the distributor, Ignition amp,coil?!? original ECU, tacho relay and the 

AFM right?

jackherer

Yes all that goes in the bin, along with the SAD.

Telf

i could gut the AFM though and just use it as a air pass through so it would look original- less the dizzy obviously.

That might be ok- its not as if I'm ever going to sell it once it is finished.  

So the emerald ECU should improve performance a bit as well ? or not much difference on a standard 8V? The only extra engine work has been a 3 angle cut on the head so I'm hardly going mad. If it can make somewhere near original figures id be happy.

jackherer

You might be able to make a hole in the bottom of a distributor cap, chop the terminals off, then pass custom leads from a coil pack through it. The rubber boots would disguise the cut down terminals and you could have a dummy king lead going to a standard coil. Or just chuck it all in the bin and drive it ;)

I don't know if it'll make much more peak power but it'll drive so much better and be much more reliable.

Telf

ill probably keep all the bits because I'm weird like that.  Now the real question...

Can my budget stretch anymore? :unsure: