• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

petert

[Race_Prep] Never Ending Race Car Build

Andy
3 hours ago, petert said:

A sad day though. The pressure hose from the dry sump pump blew on lap 1. Eight litres of oil on the track. End of the day. Hopefully engine protection in the ECU kicked in fast enough. I haven't looked at the bearings as yet.

That is a disappointment . The late great Guy Croft had a view on oil lines. If they were not high pressure lines with swaged fittings they were not going anywhere near any engine with his name on it . No help now though. Let’s hope that the engine did indeed shut down whilst still having oil in its bearings . 

petert

Good advice, as always.

We dodged a bullet today. Looking at the logs, the engine shut down as intended. It was doing 5200 at the time of failure. The rod bearings just started to flake, no damage to the crank.

It was an ACL Race Series bearing, 4B7700H. Hopefully we can get some more.

failed rod bearing.jpg

failed rod bearing 2.jpg

acl race bearings 7700H.jpg

Edited by petert

emi16v

Nice save!! Wouldn’t want to overheat one of those beautiful argo’s! Is that an elite ecu these days with the engine protection?

petert

It's a PS1000. Ten years old?

Edited by petert

SweetBadger

My DTA S40 (also pretty old) has the option for oil pressure shut down.

I now have a reliable DTA oil pressure sender linked up so was thinking about enabling it. Just don’t want it to kill the engine for momentary loss of pressure given we run a wet sump e.g. oil surge .

I can set a pressure, Rev range, and delay to shut down e.g. if engine speed is > 2000 rpm and pressure drops to < 10psi for more than 2 seconds then shut down.

What do you have yours set to Peter?

petert

Mine is currently 2000 limit if pressure is under 20psi and more than 25% throttle. I could probably refine that a bit further.

wicked

Close call!  Good to have such emergency mechanisms.....

What brand of hose was it? I have Aeroquip hose with push locks on the oil cooler of my current build, but still my engineering heart is still not trusting the push lock. 

Edited by wicked

petert
52 minutes ago, wicked said:

What brand of hose was it? 

Gates Push-Lock. I probably pushed the temperature limit. It’s only rated to 100 degC. Even though it’s on the cold side, we typically run 100-105.

petert

I couldn't source any Australian made ACL 4B7700H bearings locally. It seems the UK has them all. I had to buy them from Pug1off. Fantastic service, ordered Monday, delivered Thursday.

Andy

Yes. They are very good . I used them a lot. And I will need them again when I pull my finger out and piece together my 85mmx88mm Mi16 engine .Hope you are well and not breaking too many peugeot bits. I have a track day booked for July 1st to see what the R32 is like . Suspect it will be fast and heavy .

petert

Look what fits in this hole! I’m keen to map gearbox temperatures. I found a stripped sensor, mapped it on the stove with some cooking oil and used a spare channel on the ecu to datalog it. With a thick copper washer, it only just clears the crownwheel. Next race on 10 July will be very interesting. The plan is to start with 75W-90 and then swap to 75W-140.

B33E5E47-FED5-403F-A21E-5A5E75233E03.jpeg

emi16v

Nice innovation. Have you had any trouble with gearbox of diff reliability or is this more of the curiosity thing?

speaksgeek

Very cool. I'm going to have a look at my drain plug setup now - I think maybe it doesn't have that boss to make clearance.

Super interested in the results.

petert
55 minutes ago, emi16v said:

Nice innovation. Have you had any trouble with gearbox of diff reliability or is this more of the curiosity thing?

I wanted to get a base line before I turn up the hp. Then decide if cooling is viable.

Edited by petert

speaksgeek

Hang on. Is this still a BE 5 speed?

emi16v
14 minutes ago, petert said:

I wanted to get a base line before I turn up the hp. Then decide if cooling is viable.

You mean turn up the torque B)

hook-up-turbo-boost-gauge-800x800.jpg

petert

Yes, it's still a BE3 5 speed. Later gearboxes are different.

2DE0B9B3-BFF5-4F1F-8DAE-D5CB9F220958.jpeg

Edited by petert

petert
1 hour ago, speaksgeek said:

Very cool. I'm going to have a look at my drain plug setup now - I think maybe it doesn't have that boss to make clearance.

Super interested in the results.

It would be easy to make you a new plug from some hex to suit one of these ebay sensors.

Screen Shot 2021-06-18 at 12.10.35 pm.png

petert

Our poor 205 took a massive hit in Race 1 on Saturday. The both rails are in the wrong place and just about everything is broken, other than the engine and gearbox. As you can see, there's lots of special bits in there. I think even the RH hub/upright is bent. It's a very rare Group A item.  Oh well. We'll pull it all apart and repair regardless.

IMG_2198.jpg

IMG_2197.jpg

IMG_2196.jpg

• Sad 4

Andy

Oh dear Peter. That was a proper accident . Looks like it will take more than 5 minutes and a bit of sticky tape to fix as well. Ouch . Wallet damaging . 

mmt

Sad to see. Very sad. 

joris_andriesse

Damn, nasty. Good luck with the fixing!

petert

This still from the video footage of the crash is GOLD!

Flying Grill.png

• Haha 2