• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

petert

[Race_Prep] Never Ending Race Car Build

petert

Only 350ish, but as you can see, it's capable of a lot more. I didn't think I'd ever run over 2L either, but the Hondas are just so fast now. Just changing to reliable, cheap hp instead of screaming its head off.

If you look closely, you can see the 3/8" stainless fuel pipe, ready for E85.

Edited by petert

B1ack_Mi16

But it would change the class you are racing it in going from NA to turbo I suppose?

petert

Yes, we'd be over 2L. Our friend Parry is currently fitting a supercharger to his 205 and other friends run over 2L in various cars, so that really doesn't matter.

wicked
5 hours ago, petert said:

I've had the 205 at a local fabricator, having a turbo manifold and downpipe built. Normally work I like to do myself, however for the money it's just not worth my while. I'm really pleased with his efforts. It's twin scroll, if you can manage to trace the paths. Next task is to pull it all apart and get the pipes ceramic coated. And of course save up for a new gearbox and stronger driveshafts.

IMG_9566.JPG

Looks really nice Peter!     And so much room in a RHD.... just unfair....

Wrt to the interconnect between the runners; don't you think it will create extra stress in the manifold when it heats up?? Or will it just make it more rigid? 

jackherer
20 minutes ago, wicked said:

And so much room in a RHD.... just unfair....

There are pros and cons, have you seen our throttle, clutch and speedo cables? :lol:

mmt

Looking forward to hear about track drivability. 
/M

petert
6 hours ago, wicked said:

Wrt to the interconnect between the runners; don't you think it will create extra stress in the manifold when it heats up?? Or will it just make it more rigid? 

It will all be stiff/rigid. In this pic you can see a tag with two holes, under the manifold. I need to make something to tie that down to the PAS pump holes on the gearbox.

IMG_9571.JPG

Tom Fenton

Peter I'm sure you know this but don't constrain it as that will ask for issues. Some sort of support rods using rose joints perhaps to take the weight off the manifold a bit but allow it to move is what I'd look to do.

• Like 1

wicked
16 hours ago, jackherer said:

There are pros and cons, have you seen our throttle, clutch and speedo cables? :lol:

The speedo cable would go inbetween both runner on a LHD and the brake cylinder would sit in the turbine housing of the turbo..... 

But indeed different challenges..... 

Wrt to the support of the manifold, I tend to agree with Tom; the manifold will expand more than you engine, so turbo would move left and right as result of EGT. But you don't want vertical resonance.

petert

For sure, I was told to elongate the holes but I'll confer with my turbo expert friend.

wicked

Please share his expert view with us, as I can only reason from theory and have also an ongoing build with similar construction.

petert

A rose jointed turnbuckle it is.

• Like 1

petert

Hot parts are back from ceramic coating. ie turbo rear housing, manifold and dump pipes. I just had to post some pics. $600 well spent.

IMG_9610.jpg

IMG_9611.jpg

• Like 1

Andy

Very nicely done. Agree on the money well spent, particularly on a turbo installation. . 

petert

We finally got the NA engine back together and on the dyno. It's been a long road, after spinning a bearing and bending two valves pre-covid. This will be ample for Under 2L racing this year, whilst we work on the turbo build. The RPM on the chart is not accurate, as the rev limiter cut started at 7900

BYP Dyno 9 Jan.png

Edited by petert
  • Like 1

Andy

Morning. Bet you are pleased with those figures. The torque looks beautifully flat just about up to the Rev limit and the power hangs on even better . Excellent work Peter, and the rest of us need to remember that this data is at the wheels. This is some engine you have built. Top work.

wicked
2 hours ago, petert said:

You can't do this Peter! Give us a bit grunt and then stop the movie!!! 

Give us more of that sound!

petert

Sorry, this is all there is. We'd already finished and my son was just fixing a few mid-range holes. I remembered we hadn't taken a single pic or movie. Hopefully, it's enough to keep the K20 Civics at bay.

https://youtu.be/FbllIrrxyVc

opticaltrigger

This is a great car project,

It's fantastic Pete. I love the manifold and the turbo install, it's just excellent mate...... 

All the best,

O.T.

• Like 1

emi16v

That is a very nice Graph Peter! So this now has the Argo's in it and the fancy head with the shimless buckets?

Can't wait to see some vids of it on the track this year!

petert

Argo rods yes. Shimless no. The cams I had planned resulted in insufficient valve-valve clearance. Additionally, the huge inlet cam was hammering the buckets into the valve tips, ie the valve springs weren't good enough. So I went back to a combination of cams and springs I knew would work.

Thijs_Rallye

That torque curve :wub:

emi16v

It is the big valve head this time though? Good to see that plan B still makes very healthy power!

With any luck it’s the picture of reliability too so you can get on with the turbo build, which I’m sure everyone is watching with interest :)

petert

Yes, it has 36.5/30mm valves. A mistake in retrospect, as being that big limits camshaft choice. Just too greedy! A better combination would be 35.5/30.

emi16v

We could have swapped inlet valves as I have 35.6mm and baby cams :D (joke obviously)

How much power are the K20 boys making?

Edited by emi16v