• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

petert

[Race_Prep] Never Ending Race Car Build

petert

Now right on the limit of the bar mount. Probably time to move on to a custom bar/front.

bumper mount.JPG

petert

Threw a rod today.

IMG_0386.JPG

• Sad 1

Andy

Oh. That is a real disappointment . Full engine rebuild required with replacement block and heaven knows what else. However, you must have been trying hard !

petert

Well that's the strange thing. It was just went bang changing from 2-3 at 7500. My son was driving, just 8 laps in, out of a 137 lap endurance race. Suffice to say I didn't get a turn.

petert

Sorry, it was 3-4. Looks like he got a bit flustered trying to shut it down.

Andy

See what you mean. Good video clip though. The engine sounded great right up until it popped a rod though its crankcase . I suppose that is the thing about some modes of failure. A component goes through a certain number of stress cycles and then fails on the next cycle , even though the stress is no higher than the previous x thousand of them . Still a complete bummer though. 

wicked

Always crap to see a good block popping rods... feel sorry for you.

Any clue on the cause? It popped on straight and not in a left corner. Looks like the rod bolt snapped?

mmt

So sorry to hear Thatcher bad noise. Sounded really healthy before. 7500 rum for 130 Lars must be tough though. Some good lines your son makes. 

petert

Boom! I think the engine gave birth to an alien. If it's only got two bent valves I'll be extremely lucky.

bent valves.jpg

damaged block 2.jpg

damaged block.jpg

pace sump 2.jpg

pace sump.jpg

JeffR

Bloody hell. Some serious damage there.

petert

Autopsy complete. I suspect the cap from conrod #3 broke in two, as there is only part of it remaining. The two rod bolts snapped, remains of which are still in the main part of the rod. The remains of the two bolts and large part of the cap are missing. The engine kept rotating, maintaining oil pressure, until John shut it down. The crankshaft is in surprisingly good condition and should survive a regrind, thank goodness. Piston #3 is cracked (circled) and has substantial bruising (circled) where it has been smacking into the head. Mains bearings and remaining three rod bearings were perfect.

What do I build next?

IMG_7004.JPG

IMG_7005.JPG

IMG_7007.JPG

IMG_7008.JPG

IMG_7009.JPG

IMG_7010.JPG

wicked
26 minutes ago, petert said:

What do I build next?

audi4cylindercoffeetable-e1499459598981.

Rebuild what you had if you have spare parts or maybe move on to EW10J4S?

welshpug

why did the cap and bolts break though?   seized / spun bearing?

petert

Look at #3 rod journal. Other than a few dings, it's perfect. The remaining bearings are perfect, indicating there was oil pressure until it was turned off.

Andy

So not a bearing failure. Back to a rod failure then . Slightly disappointing given that you clearly went to the expense of fitting forged steel rods to avoid such difficulties . As we say in this part of the world........ bugger

wicked
1 hour ago, welshpug said:

why did the cap and bolts break though?   seized / spun bearing?

If the bearing had spun, the crank journal would have more damage imho.  Think the cap was done with the continuous high revs... 

Edited by wicked

Batfink
On 02/02/2018 at 10:12 AM, petert said:

I've made the decision to jump from 205x50/15 to 225x50/15. The difference in diameter is the real killer. I have to perform considerable body work to make them clear the front bumper bar when running 6 deg of caster. I'll post some pics over the weekend.

Additionally, the difference in diameter is 3.5%, equivalent to half a cwp change!

Having just aborted trying to do the same. The size difference is huge! I could not get the suspension geometry good with a low ride height. Also the scrub radius was looking nasty.
This was with Pirelli tyres but the difference was 11mm in ride height.

Good luck with the engine!

petert

We got through two Practice sessions, Qualifying and eight laps on the 225's. I really think it was over tyred. I might try 215x50/15 next. Our cars aren't that low. We've had more success with a higher ride height and getting the diagonal weight distribution correct.

Edited by petert

petert

The pan and scrapers I can repair/rebuild. However the pump needs a new scavenge stage.

petert

After many hours of fitting, fettling, cams in, cams out, etc., I'm finally ready to assemble our big head. It features long stem oversize valves, Z1000 collets, Supertech SPR-H1022D double springs, Z1000 titanium retainers, open 33mm buckets and no shims.

IMG_7482.JPG

IMG_7484.JPG

• Haha 1

Andy

Impressive. No shims. Please explain . Have you ground each valve stem to the exact clearance ?

petert

Yes and no. A combination of seat cutting, base circle changes etc. meant the shims would have been 1mm or less. I was able to source buckets with thicker pads which made up the difference. It was very fiddly and time consuming but worth the effort.

Andy

I see. That must have been a job . Getting each one exactly right must have meant many iterations. Impressive 

petert

Well, it's been a long time between posts on this project. Bad health and family issues have dominated my last 12 months. Here's the piston and rod assemblies for the new engine race engine. Hopefully I won't see them again for a long time.

IMG_8918.jpg

IMG_8928a.JPG

B1ack_Mi16

What make of rods is this?