• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

petert

[Race_Prep] Never Ending Race Car Build

petert

We've been working hard since the first round of our MRA series to improve the 205. The list of mods looks like this:

- fitted fully adjustable front wishbones

- moved top strut mount back for more caster

- fitted pedal box

- removed rear torsion bars

- replaced 350lb rear springs with 500lb springs

- fitted dry sump tank over LH rear wheel

- fitted full width full tank & surge tank

- fitted flex sensor and fuel lines ready for E85

We're hoping there will be a lot more weight over the LH rear wheel now. Previously we were at 138Kg & 189Kg, left and right rear wheels respectively.

post-2864-0-76925000-1463475918_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Kane

Looking good Pete! If you don't mind me asking how have you managed to retain the arms with the TB's removed? Have you had the bars machined down so they're essentially just holding the trailing arms in place?

petert

Just the ARB with M10 bolts.

petert

Some pics.

post-2864-0-02845400-1463566974_thumb.jpg

post-2864-0-95373800-1463566987_thumb.jpg

post-2864-0-59258000-1463567077_thumb.jpg

post-2864-0-26763100-1463567136_thumb.jpg

welshpug

How do you stop the arms sliding side to side and wearing the seals out without the positive location provided by the torsion bars?

• Like 1

blandy

Love these threads plenty of inspiration there. Funny as done my camber yesterday and was wondering how people achieve move on the front and your pics answered my question lol

petert

That's approx -3.5 deg with 405 driveshafts.

Mac Crash

What were the corner weights over the front wheels?

petert

How do you stop the arms sliding side to side and wearing the seals out without the positive location provided by the torsion bars?

The axial loading on the torsion bars is only retained by two M8 double ended studs made of cheese. It's more of a moments question than a straight axial load.

305Kg L/309Kg R, giving a 47.5/52.5 diagonal split.

Edited by petert

petert

Mission accomplished. It now has a perfect 50/50 split, with driver and 35L of fuel.

Front 281.5/289 Kg

Rear 160.5/167.5 Kg

Caster +6 deg.

Looking forward to race day on Sunday.

• Like 1

camgti

Great work Pete. Have fun on Sunday, Wakefield?

petert

Yep, MRA Round 2, Sunday.

camgti

Awesome. Hope all the upgrades work well. Have you been doing leg presses to build up the muscles for the new pedel box! How did it fit? All good? Looks great in there as do the new positions of the struts.

Kane

What size or ARB are you running with the higher spring rate on the rear?

Is this the car your son races which blew the engine a while back? You'll have to let us know how it performs after Sundays event.

Edited by Kane

petert

Std ARB at the moment. It's just there to stop the shafts falling out. Yes, it's car that blew an engine. We've been running a mostly standard XU10J4 since while we build a new engine(s).

JeffR

Good luck tomorrow Peter. Hope the upgrades work well.

petert

Not as good as we'd hoped, but drove it back on the trailer at the end of the day (which is always good). We battled with the fine tuning of the new pedal box in practice and the first two races, then started to get it moving in the final race. Parry cleaned us up well and truly, along with most of the >2L cars.

John with his 2015 MRA Outright trophy and Parry with his 2nd place trophies.

post-2864-0-42392800-1463914162_thumb.jpg

post-2864-0-74506500-1463914175_thumb.jpg

Edited by petert

camgti

How did it feel to drive with the bew geo settings?

JeffR

Niggling issues can be a PITA on race day. Do any of the NSW tracks have the equivalent of Winton's Test & Tune Fridays? I find it handy when major changes have taken place.

Good thing as said-you could drive it back onto the trailer though.

petert

Yes, Wakefield has similar days. Eastern Creek too but considerably more expensive.

Car is easier to drive and do consistent times.

petert

A big thanks to Allan @ Bridgecraft for these fantastic rear arms.

post-2864-0-34796100-1468752294_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

petert

Over the past 12 months I've slowly been gathering parts to build a new engine. I was fortunate enough to pick up two sets of pistons, so I thought I'd build two. Here's the first part of Engine B, as it will be known. These are pistons I purchased from JeffR. Wisco incorrectly machined the pin location, thus the piston pockets were effectively reversed. I needed the pockets deeper anyway, so I set about building a jig to hold a piston at 26º. During a quick dry assembly, I projected the centres for the valves onto the piston with a 7mm drill blank, inserted into the valve guides. I then made two programs for the CNC mill to re-cut the inlet and exhaust pockets respectively. I was surprised how far out the exhaust pockets were. It would have been fatal to use the piston as supplied. I wanted the pockets deep enough so they could be used with my best head, which is going on Engine A. So I gave up a bit of compression in the interests of compatibility.

post-2864-0-25320000-1469872434_thumb.jpeg

• Like 1

JeffR

Would the exhaust valves still have fitted into the piston pockets or was it that they're at a 24° inclination hence the discrepancy?

petert

No, the centre was wrong, thus they would have collided on the side of the pocket. I was slack and made both sides 26 degs. I figured a steeper cut on the exhaust wouldn't matter.