• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
alternative

Cti Ratios

alternative

I have a question, :unsure: but first some background!:

I have read Damir and Henry Yorke on here maintain the 1.9 CTi gearbox has an excellent combination of ratios. I am wondering if anyone has any other experience of using this box with a D6B engine and GTi final drive?

My CTi was fantastic to drive on twisty roads, but I found the FD too low for longer runs. I have rebuilt the DFZ to D6B spec and want to know what to do next...

My question is: If I build a one-off box using the GTi FD in the CTi box will it still have the same fun driving characteristics? All help on ratios and comparisons, much appreciated. Done a search but cannot find exact answer.

:)

allye

4.063 (1.6 GTI) or 3.688 (1.9 GTI) final drive?

alternative

Not sure as haven't taken them apart. Have two gearboxes with probably both ratios - one in each!

allye

Well they are very different! If you are putting a full fat 1.9 GTI engine in the CTI then the 1.9 final will suit you well as you said about cruising revs. Not familiar with CTI ratios compared with standard GTI gear set.

If you have the CTI 1-5 ratios to hand and the tyre size you are using stick it into this and it will give you a good idea.

http://www.cargister.com/calculator-gear-ratio

alternative

Hi yes, thanks. That's great. Using Speedlines but I don't know how to find the CTi ratios. Saw them once here and can't find them now.

The engine is just a rebuilt D6B with 3 angle seats.

Its the driving experience I'm interested in, because my 1993 1.9 CTi although only 105hp was fantastic fun using the gears through twisty roads. You felt as if you were going much faster and I'm sure this is down to the CTi ratios which others have talked about.

Currently, I may just stick in the GTi box unless I can find out more, but thanks again :D :D

alternative

Thanks for that. I'm almost sure that I read the lower ratios in the CTi box are different. Looks as if I'll have to take them apart and have a look, unless I can find more details. Trouble is I'm not sure how the physical ratios affect the driving. The quest goes on (unless I give up)! But thanks again.

petert

I thought CTi was

1st 3.25

2nd - 5th same as GTi

CWP 3.94:1

This effectively gives an overall 5th the same as an Mi16. It's a great combo.

Anthony

I'm running effectively a 1.9 CTi 'box on mine (1.9 GTi ratios and a 3.9 FD) and it works well IMO, a good compromise on a daily driver.

• Like 1

wicked

Can anyone confirm the 1.6 CTI has the same box as 1.9 CTI or does it have the 1.6 GTI box gear ratio's? 
It's a BE3 unit, but was under the impression that all 1.6 GTI boxes are BE1's.

petert

Not at all. I have a 1.6L GTi box.

welshpug
4 hours ago, wicked said:

was under the impression that all 1.6 GTI boxes are BE1's.

they made the 1.6 gti till 92, they stopped using the BE1 in mid 1989, so that is incorrect.

wicked

Ok, thanks for that. 

But then the other question:

1.6 CTI box = 1.9 CTI box

or 

1.6 CTI box = 1.6 GTI box

I've been told both, so I don't which one is true. 

I removed the 1.6 engine from my CTI, so cannot drive with it to check. 

Edited by wicked

petert

I would say the later, as 1.9 CTi has 3.94 cwp. The others have 4.06.

Miles

1.6 CTi/GTi are the same, BE1 or 3 makes no differance, 1.9 CTi is odd, Henry Yorke knows, I think they are similar to the 405 SRi

wicked

Thanks for the info. So it doesn't make any diff if I fit the be1 1.6gti box that's on the shelf or keep the be3 box of my 1.6 cti ... (with the mi16 conversion)

Will be the be3 box..

Henry Yorke

The 1.9 CTI box was the same as Euro Gentry and a German 1.9 Rallye.  They were not as short as a 1.6 box yet not as long as the 1.9.  Like a 1.6 box with a 1.9 final drive