• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

F815

Changing Alternator

F815

Hi changing the alternator on my 205 gti turbo technics and was wondering how best to get it out before I start as it looks a bit crammed in and haven't changed one on a pug before.

Tom Fenton

Dead easy really, disconnect battery, undo positive cable, unplug exciter wire, slacken off tensioner and main bolt, remove belt, undo and remove tensioner, pull main bolt halfway out, hey presto.

F815

... I have changed many alternators ,the problem I have is that there is a lack of space to get it out , any ideas ? Don't really want to take the radiator out.

Simes

Drop it out underneath, it's very easy.

Attack from the off side wheel arch.

welshpug

wheel arch ?!

F815

Will give that a try , just looks like there is very little room, does anyone know whether a turbo technics has different mounts to a standard 1.9 because to me it looks like I might have to drop the engine to feed it out as it won't drop straight out the bottom as engine is too close to the radiator. Thanks all.

welshpug

DSC00096.jpg

can't imagine why you would try and take it downwards, when its fully visible and accessible from the top.

follow Toms directions, you can't go wrong.

Edited by welshpug

F815

Mine looks nothing like that :( it looks like it's mounted lower and has a bit of mount covering the top, will put a picture up tommorow.

Anthony

Yep just comes out the top on an 8v - dead easy and no need to remove anything else.

I suspect Simes is talking about an Mi16 where you can't do that as the manifold gets in the way.

• Like 1

Anthony

Is yours a TT like the picture above or a 2.0 8v Turbo?

Its sounding a bit like the later...

F815

Nah mines an 8v but the mounts are weird :(

Oh it's got 2.2 forged kit

Anthony

If its a 2.2 it'll be based on a 2.0 Turbo iron block I'm sure as there's no way of doing that on a TT alloy block engine.

The mounts are completely different and as you say, not sure there's enough space to remove the alternator as the top part of the mount where the PAS / hydraulic pump goes will be in the way.

F815

Yes there is a mount above it covering the alternator, mine doesn't have a PAS there though. So the radiator will be coming out or the intake manifold off ? Either that or I could cut the mount up ahah

Simes

I suspect Simes is talking about an Mi16 where you can't do that as the manifold gets in the way.

Yes indeed you're correct and I'm an idiot.

F815

Many thanks all for the help! sorry for not being more specific, didn't know it had an iron block as i don't know much about pugs and didn't build this engine. Thanks again

Harry