• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

lybker

[Project] 205 Dimma S16 Turbo Converting To 4X4

lybker

I bought them used from spoox directly - and upon further investigation, they are actually already fairly bend, even the advert said ' mint condition ' and from undamaged car.......and they where not exactly for free.

Will call them up and ask if this is their usual service quality level?

welshpug

there is a bend in the design as the outer insert is welded in straight.

welshpug

mayesm10.jpg

lybker

Please explain, I no not exactly follow?

What is the preferred fix ? I thought of welding in a vertical reinforcement full length from front joint to outer joint...

petert

if you do plan to use those compbrake wishbones I would weld on some ribs to stiffen them up, I've heard of a few failures under heavy braking where they have bent, an Aussie member posted a picture of his a few years back.

It was my friend Parry. They fold up easily in that condition. I think they now have 40x10 ms flat bar, welded on edge, in order to stiffen them up.

post-2864-0-70675400-1509661946.jpg

Edited by petert

petert

Sorry, I was wrong. Parry has seen this and sent me a photo to post.

post-2864-0-89852300-1509662516_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

lybker

Thanks for the support, I have already sheets cut to size for reinforcing the arms, so with a bit of luck, i will find time during the weekend, as I also need to extend them 50mm to accomedate the wider track.

After writing to spoox Motorsport, I must say they offered unparralleled service, and I will happily buy there again - big thumps up :-)

Edited by lybker

Andy

Good news then. Have to say that my experience of Spoox is similar. They are expensive but their service both before and after sales I have found to be excellent

lybker

Wishbones are under modification and are 50% done - so som work in progress pictures showing:

• Getting straigthened - taking out the damaged they had upon reviecing them

• Extended 50mm - to accomedate the wider track

• Reinforced - to both protect the extension and to prevent further bending during usage

just missing a bit of paint,and they will look like new :-)

post-3777-0-99441600-1509821731_thumb.jpg

post-3777-0-13443600-1509821756_thumb.jpg

post-3777-0-40414100-1509821773_thumb.jpg

post-3777-0-29529700-1509821791_thumb.jpg

cybernck

Amazing! A kind of project most of 205 owners had daydreams about, I'm sure ;)

Rightfully moved to Project subforum now.

lybker

...Thanks for the praise - allways gives a warm fuzzy feeling :-) :lol:​

The wishones are done, lets hope they are though enough to handle any kind of punishment - next step is the fiddle to remove bump steer :-)

post-3777-0-18186300-1510161617_thumb.jpg

post-3777-0-63541100-1510161630_thumb.jpg

post-3777-0-54384000-1510161643_thumb.jpg

dcc

I hope you trust your welds! those extensions look - special!

• Like 1

lybker

haha you might be right, my luck, good looks aint everything then :-)

they are chamfered with full burn in and the insert has a large square area than the base material, similar to how I extended my old wishbones with similar comments. They are holding up nicely and are even cast iron, preheated to 150C prior to welding.

calvinhorse

Dcc, go on a Beemer forum and look how they do it on E36/E30/E46 it's hideous but works

Or those 406 coupe Ferrari replicas, that's an eye opener

• Like 1

lybker

Nice work!

What kind of coolant do you use??

Finally recived the coolant i ordered ages ago - for me to be able to post pictures of the bottle :-) I have been using it for a couple of years and seems to work better than regular coolant, but be aware, it is flamable!

great stuff, even the sticker is carbon fibre! :-P

post-3777-0-71413500-1510772594_thumb.jpg

post-3777-0-70333100-1510772610_thumb.jpg

Edited by lybker

lybker

...well its done! Project is now officially completed, after more than one year in the making.

Missing items like adjusting wheel alignment, tirepressure and other small stuff is now fixed. 

so last Saturday was the “do or die excersize”, As i had the local airstrip all for myself for a one hour stress test.

starting slow and incrementally pushing it harder...listening for strange noises, vibrations or...smoke :-).

and guess what...all works perfectly! Its planted, balanced and no more wheel spin. It even brakes more defined due to the extra wight on the rear axle

...wether I will ever dare to cranck boost up again to 1,6 bar is unlikely....safe limit of 0,8 bar is likely the wise choiche to avoid overstressing the old citroen bx 4x4 driveline

Nomatter, I am so happy :-)

Thanks for keeping up with my project and wish you all a great summer...I will try to spend part of mine on trackdays

Accelerating down the airstrip, with the electronic boost control disconnected....

F4A3AD75-61BF-4DD1-9008-1E8057D7FC27.jpeg

0F8626AA-D37A-4DA9-B7B9-AFA5B1DDAF9F.jpeg

0B47F27C-D6B6-49C5-96A3-4721528ED113.jpeg

• Like 8

mmt

Great stuff. Well done. It sounds healthy. 

lybker

I finally made it ...first trackday was a huge success!

...well actually it was not - in reality I only did 13km on the track before i was ready to pack and leave again. 

It started out excellent, slowly increasing the pace for every lap, i was rewarded with excellent handling and grip. Clearly the extra weight to the rear end of the car improves balance and rear wheel brake force. 

It was soooo cool to go early on the throttle in each corner, just to be pulled forward without any drama or wheelspin. 

Well pleased with the end result. Managed to do 2 fast laps, pushing it fairly hard and had a blast of a time doing so. It made me smile, thinking it all worked out after 100 of hours of headacke and work to get to this point...

and then the fun ended...during full throttle down the straight, it suddenly lost power and started smoking blue. Even a couple of turns earlier I noticed some grinding, knocking noise growing louder somewhere som the drivetrain.

no joy left thinking about i might have blown both the engine and drivetrain with so little effort, as i pulled out of the track and into the pit.

after some speculation and working the best I could with the clearly wrong tools I brought to the trackday, I did spot a faulty bearing in the turbo to be the reason for powerloss and blue smoke. Easy but expensive fix. It seems a new core for a gt3076r ballbearing turbo is around 800£ :-(

i loaded the car back on the trailer and had a couple of days to think about what the noise could be and did some small tests in my field to check if the mechanics still worked ok and to identify root cause. Wow after turning my car into a natural aspirated gti6 engine with lowered compression.....it feels slow and tired - hardly able to spin all 4 wheels on grass.

I did find the cause to be my 2 rear driveshafts had touched my rear frame cut outs, as I did not figure the chassis would set and twist so much under acceleation in corners. As result both are bended and one is dead in the outer joint.

the problem is how to source new or even used driveshafts from the fairly rare citroen bx 4x4?

ebay brought me no luck and also not typical webstores - for now my car is stranded on the lift....damn!

9093592D-3CC1-43B5-AB9E-6BFCDCABDD18.jpeg

C4DB9807-CFB1-4D88-94ED-16C969EA358E.jpeg

5C29685C-E882-4F80-B637-CAAEEEB1AE32.jpeg

0C4BCD46-C03F-4555-B404-E81FF787303B.jpeg

95DF6063-1716-4402-BA02-D5B2190031E6.jpeg

dcc

Speak to satchell engineering about them making you custom shafts :)

lybker

Thanks for the heads up, as it could be a fall back plan. will have to ask them for a quote, even I fear it will be very expensive... :-)

Edited by lybker

dcc

We had 2 shafts made by then recently, roughly 150+vat each from memory

Putte205

A set of rear drive shafts is available on ebay atm