• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Sign in to follow this  
juice willis

Warning Light

juice willis

Would loss of gearbox oil cause the 'stop' and oil lights to come on? Have had a browse and can't find an answer!

Cheers

EDIT: it's a 1990 xs

Edited by juice willis

pugdamo

No it wouldn't, that would be engine related, start with the obvious check, make sure there's oil in it, then loom/sensor/oil pressure check.

juice willis

yeah didn't think so, it could be a coincidence that it just came on after replacing n/s front hub. Some gearbox oil managed to leak out of the driveshaft as I was fighting with the ball joint. Ill do those checks tomorrow though and see how It goes.

Thanks for your reply

juice willis

Update on this:

I haven't had a great deal of time to get stuck into this, have had to drive the car into work after head gasket failure on the van. On the way to work the warning light came back on along with the battery light shortly after. Pulled over and tried to start the engine with no luck. Long story but basically the ignition coil seemed to have died, have replaced and running well. However the lights still come on after 15 mins of driving. Also the headlights and indicators are being temperamental.

I am probably being a muppet to drive it but with all these different faults I've convinced myself that the oil pressure is fine, especially since the management lights only come on after a while. I would hazard a guess that the engine would have seized by now if not!

Whilst changing the ignition coil I had a look at the condition of the multi-plug which seemed fine. I have also cleaned up any earth contacts on gearbox etc and had a look in the mess of wires under the glove box checking all the plugs.

The alternator seems to be charging the battery fine and giving a consistent voltage reading.

Wiring has always been my weak point and even the thought of it gets me stressed out! However I would really like to get to the bottom of this problem so any ideas greatly appreciated.

Ta

juice willis

Been fiddling around a bit and it seems I over looked the oil pressure sender switch (the obvious first place to look). I'm pretty sure this is buggered as after disconnecting and reconnecting the warning lights turned off but still worked on the ignition. Will look for the part and fit, hopefully that will solve that problem.

Still getting a faint battery light and my headlights cut out so still a problem here. Going to retest the alternator when it stops raining. Have been searching the forums BTW.

Side note: am getting the dreaded squeak from the rear suspension. I'm sure there are 1 or 2 people on here that offer recon beams?