• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

sebascalderon85

Oil Pressure On 1.9 8V

sebascalderon85

Hi Everybody.

I'm Sebastián from Colombia.

I have a ´93 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9 Stock. it has 210.000 kms on it, but it runs ok.

The oil pressure gauge reads at 2 bar when starting the engine at cold. When it runs on idle it drops to the first white line, but running even at full throttle, just goes up to 2 bar or a little more. I use 25W60 mineral oil because of high mileage and because the engine always has been running on mineral oil. The engine runs fine, but i'm a little concerned about this. I have read that the gauge will read different on other tipe of oils but i want to check with you guys.

The other thing, is the oil temperture gauge. It idles back and fort and does not give an accurate reading. ¿Where is this sensor located in the engine? i have read many forums but i don't understand some words you use to describe parts and places of the engine. If anyone could enlighten me with a picture or something to know it's accurate place, and to be able to check it, i would be very gratefull.

Cheers and thanks!!

PS: Attached a foto of my ride.

post-25830-0-90827000-1447342239_thumb.jpg

Anthony

Before assuming that the oil pressure is low, check it with a proper calibrated oil pressure guage.

The standard oil pressure sender/guage is notoriously inaccurate sometimes and certainly I have seen faulty oil pressure senders cause an issue like you're seeing.

Even high mileage engines I've always used 10W40 without issue.

The oil temperature sender is located on the rear of the sump. The wiring runs across the back of the engine and tends to break down and short against the engine block, which can lead to the guage jumping around like you're seeing. The actual oil temperature sender itself is generally very reliable in my experience.

• Like 1

welshpug

tje gauges should only be taken as rough guesstimation of how healthy the engine is, they are not particularly accurate, as long as the 1 bar warning lamp does not illuminate at hot idle its probably just fine.

25w 60 is rather too thick, standard type is 10w40 for an average European climate, not sure what its like in your country, 210k km is not high at all.

to get an accurate indication of oil pressures you need a mechanical test gauge or permanent mechanical type fitted, both sender and switch are above the oil filter on the front of the block.

oil temperature sender is on the rear of the sump, the wiring is very prone to being knackered

• Like 1

sebascalderon85

Thanks for the replyes! Maybe i'll use in my next oil change and semi-sintetic 10w40. i have a little fear of changing mineral to sintetic because of oil deposits that can break.

When you say it's located in the SUMP? Where is the SUMP? i just don't know that word. I already fixed every other sensor, but this one is giving me headaches.

Thanks!!

Tom Fenton

Sump = oil pan at bottom of the engine

• Like 1

Anthony

You might call it the oil pan possibly?

auto-part-peugeot-205-306-309-405-406-80

It's right at the bottom of the engine where the oil is contained and also has the oil drain plug.

• Like 1

sebascalderon85

Thanks!!! Can i get to it from the front or the back of the engine? i assume i have to get to it from the bottom right?

The oil pressure it's bothering me a little!

iPlod999

Go in from under front of the car. The sump is on the bottom of the engine.

And then look for this.

DSC_0086_zpsy8qz8yi1.jpg

sebascalderon85

Iplod999 !!! Thank you!!!! I´m gonna save that picture jejejejeje. I'll keep ,you updated on the oil pressure topic.

Now i'm feeling that the car is running well, but doesn't push like it's supossed to. I think it's more of a out of sync Air/fuel ratio thing but i wanna make sure. Any tips??

sebascalderon85

Guys! Thnak you! I found it but it's broken. I have to get one this days!! Thanks a lot!!

nomis

Hi folks, reviving this. I want to check my oil pressure with a proper gauge as the one in the car is sitting very low.

I should be able to use the gauge tomorrow but where exactly is the oil pressure sender to attach it to?

Is it by the oil filter and is there more than one there?

Can I get at it from under the car without removing anything?

It's a 1991 1.9 gti

I think from reading this thread that photo is of the oil temperature sender not the pressure one. Is that correct?

(I have a Haynes manual but it is useless on this and doesn't seem to include it)

Thanks for the help.

toolie72

Above oil filter you have two sensors, smaller one is warning light, fat one is for pressure gauge

17mm short spanner for pressure switch (off the top of my head-memories not what it used to be lol)

nomis

Thanks, had a crack at it tonight with a mechanic. Bloody hard to get at both of them from above or below. Too many hoses in the way. Fingers crossed seems fine

Eamonmurphy

Thanks, had a crack at it tonight with a mechanic. Bloody hard to get at both of them from above or below. Too many hoses in the way. Fingers crossed seems fine

How did you go with the proper gauge. Did you get a good reading.