• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Craig01

Odd Hot Start Issue

Craig01

Had something strange today with the 205, it's pretty warm here and after a long drive in warm weather I pulled over to check my map. When I went to re-start the car it wouldn't start, not even turn over or anything but the battery etc is all fine. I decided maybe it was something to do with the heat so I opened the bonnet and popped to a local shop to grab a snack while it cooled down. As soon as I got back hey presto it started and has been fine.

What technically would have caused this? And is there anything I can do to stop it happening in future? It's never happened before so I figured I would check to see if there's something on it I should check out.

Prior to stopping the engine was not over-heating, it was warm (around 1/2 way on temp gauge) but nothing abnormal.

Anthony

It's typically either a failing starter motor or excessive voltage drop on the starter solenoid wire, both common issues.

You should find plenty of threads about both if you do a search :)

Craig01

It's typically either a failing starter motor or excessive voltage drop on the starter solenoid wire, both common issues.

You should find plenty of threads about both if you do a search :)

Ah ok, thanks. I did do a search on starting issues but most people seemed to be saying their were at least turning over. Mine was just totally dead!I assume neither are related to the heat?

I'll have another search!

Edited by Craig01
  • Like 1

Anthony

Heat can certainly make both worse, particularly starter motors in my experience.

Easy way to rule the wiring out is when the issue reoccurs, touch 12v from the battery positive to the starter solenoid terminal - if the starter spins, it's the wiring at fault, and if it doesn't, it'll be the starter. Access is a bit of a pain though, and be very careful not to short it against the engine itself (effectively shorting the battery)

• Like 1

dekko

Mine's doing exactly the same bloody thing! Did you ever discover the source of the problem?

Telf

Dekko, as mentioned in the thread it's a common fault. Make a jumper lead and feed 12 v directly to the solenoid when yours fails. If it starts it's excessive voltage drop on the feed to the solenoid. In that case it's probably the contacts at the solenoid. Or corrosion on the cable leading to high resistance ( and hence voltage drop).

The solenoid is fed via the brown multi plug which is a known failure point. It sits below the AFM above the gearbox. Check and clean the contact here.

If it doesn't start with a direct 12v feed then your starter motor is on its way out

Telf

See the picture of the wires I'm on about. If you short between the 12v from the battery to the solenoid that will confirm or deny the problem. If you are at all unconfident with electrics then get someone who knows what they are doing to help. You will have a direct connection from the battery so do not short the wire to anything metal like the engine block etc or sparks will fly.

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1560183976871.jpeg