• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

barneys66

White 1987 Ph1 1.9 Gti For Road And Track Shenanigans..

jackherer

I have the tall driver kit which is basically a new thinner lower cushion to correct the shoulder height issue. So they do cater for the tall and slim but you have to buy extra parts.

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/seat-accessories/sparco-flat-cushion-for-evo-seat

(I paid a LOT less than that for it BTW!)

The graphic showing the seat sizes is for the US market, I've seen it before and I'm not 100% convinced it is the same for European models. Also, the product names have changed so many times it makes it hard to pin down the actual specs, e.g. the larger passenger seat I have is called a Sparco Evo L not 2.

jackherer

I just found the link to an article I used when I got my seat that has the shoulder heights for the Sparco Evo range, it's been deleted but it's archived here minus photos - http://wayback.archive.org/web/20150506144948/http://www.ogracing.com/blog/2013/06/race-seat-fitment-sparco-evo-series-and-pro-2000/ - it's US again so I'm not sure it translates 100% to European models.

barneys66

thats a very useful graphic, shame they dont cater for the tall and slim :P

Now that's just plain rude ????

Interesting info Kieran, thanks. The seats felt fine other than being a little narrow across the shoulder, but felt that more when cruising with arms down rather than at ten to two. Comfort factor superb.

Tom Fenton

The EVO are a comfortable seat. I have a pair for one of my cars not yet fitted.

Seat sizing is a minefield really. I'm seemingly tall in my body but despite a belly my backside is pretty narrow. 6'2" and 15 stone so I'm neither a featherweight whippet or a monster.

Allied to doing night rallying which means 6 hours in the seat going down some really rough ground at times makes it a challenge.

A seat with a longer backrest for my height seems to come with a wider seat which I don't need.

I did a seat fit with Motordrive at the NEC Autosport, the best they could do was a large seat moulding for my height with more add on cushions. At the price needed I wasn't really happy with it so in the end bought a second hand slightly larger than standard size Motordrive which is OK.

Lilsandy

Hi Barney,

have you had it dyno’d since the upgrade efforts. Just getting a set of dellorto 45s refurbished and then i’ll Get on the dyno in October - should be an interesting comparison

Ross

barneys66
On 9/6/2018 at 7:24 PM, Lilsandy said:

Hi Barney,

have you had it dyno’d since the upgrade efforts. Just getting a set of dellorto 45s refurbished and then i’ll Get on the dyno in October - should be an interesting comparison

Ross

Hey Ross - apologies for the delay in replying!

No to revisiting the dyno, though in reality the only thing that's changed is the air filter so hoping it'll still be around the 166 mark.

My cracked block is still holding on despite regular abuse, so when that goes I'll want to add the Megajolt that came with the car which might yield a little more.

That said, I'm really happy with the performance, and am keen to keep the original 8v, so perhaps next it'll be a diff but definitely a fifth gear swap for more relaxed cruising.

Edited by barneys66

barneys66

A few bits to bring this thread up to date, one or two which have been included in the WHYDTY205T thread admittedly;

New window regulator courtesy of @jackherer, fitted at the same time as a new upper hinge - the old one had a serious drop..

26163131947_52a2fca499_k.jpg

40140542755_c2239b2000_k.jpg

Shiny SMRs off and scruffy Speedlines back on, together with a couple of new PS3s, in preparation for an autosolo..

43431722834_dc0d0d10d2_k.jpg

43431720444_fcb77052d9_k.jpg

Started with a poor choice of tyre pressures, but then got going reasonably well until a massive loss of concentration late morning put me out of contention (I'm blaming the soporific drugs to control my back pain).  Approx 30 seconds lost for those, but subsequently got most of the fastest times in class in the afternoon session so could have been a good day otherwise.

The club report would suggest it was style over substance, which is backed up by the disappointing overall time..

43789152125_e31088682b_b.jpg

And finally, and the main reason for this post, is I was reunited with my car's original back seats today!  Andrew @MrG, the car's previous owner and the chap I share my workshop with, had had a loft clearout and unearthed these beauties (just need a clean), along with a load more interior plastics for the spares shelf.  What looks like a hole in the n/s base is actually a butterfly wing!

Very, very happy.  I've thought about putting an interior back into the car in the future, so it's great to have these as a staring point..

44696310131_d3640e73eb_k.jpg

• Like 1

barneys66

Well, another disastrous autosolo on Sunday - two reverses, three cones penalties and one wrong test.  Also went too far the other way on the front tyre pressures and wore those out prematurely.

Irrespectively, the tests really suited my car, and when I got it together it went really well - seven fastest times in class (out of twenty, class winner got nine) but ended up fourth due to being scrappy.  But, the car didn't break and above all, it  was great fun !!  Next one in a couple of weeks at Stanta Battleground in Norfolk - let's hope I can improve on the last couple.

Amazingly there was another D-plate 1.9 there, rally prepped, in red, which would have made for some great pics had it been allowed on MoD property.  But it's not, so here's a sneaky pic of a shagged PS3 instead.

44694197852_61606490b9_k.jpg

barneys66

Had a lazy end to the week as been in hospital for a quick injection into the spine to hopefully ease the back pain.  Last one was in January so that lasted well.

Work on the car was therefore limited to gently fitting the 'new' gearstick surround (old one was split and held in by screws), procured from a nice gent on eBay - came as part of a bundle; BE1 reverse cable, this and a Ph1 lower column shroud, all for <£20 delivered.  Some of the parts prices out there are craaaaaaazy, but thankfully the odd bargain (and pragmatic / enthusiast vendor) still out there.

29910386967_9fa28f6d50_b.jpg

Doc 205

Nice. Tidy interior. The guy I bought my 205 from put a different gear knob on mine, with reverse in the wrong position- as an anti-theft measure! Genius, but slightly paranoid. 

barneys66
14 hours ago, Doc 205 said:

Nice. Tidy interior. The guy I bought my 205 from put a different gear knob on mine, with reverse in the wrong position- as an anti-theft measure! Genius, but slightly paranoid. 

Thanks - it's not filtered but does flatter.  Saw your car (welcome to the forum!) and, like your desire, I've tried to keep mine as stock-looking as possible.

Yes, it's got a stripped interior and cage, etc, but hopefully everything else is tastefully in-period.  For example, I've been hunting for a Momo MOD.02 steering wheel for ages because it's more in keeping with the Ph1 wheel than my current generic three spoke..

mod01+front1252033096.jpg

Doc 205

Thanks for your welcome! Looking forward to getting stuck into the project. Basically need to get the engine and exhaust toned down a little then I can focus on the aesthetics. 

• Like 1

barneys66

Scrappy day at the autosolo on Sunday - as usual the car did well on the tests I didn't royally screw up.  10 of the 24 fastest times bought me second in class, for a trophy bottle of red, but it was a great tussle with my club mate Mark in his ZR who took first.

Disappointingly, as this is the only venue that allow photography, my action cam was playing up ( it's plugged into the cigarette lighter and the power kept cutting during the tests - needs to be hardwired really), so no decent footage to share.

Couple of boring pics then:

Pop-up pits!

31162202628_0b39c0e174_k.jpg

Walking the course.

30099009827_cb4a9587c6_k.jpg

That's dinner sorted..

44315588304_d43f80c98c_k.jpg

• Like 1

Telf

barney where are you doing these events at?

barneys66
4 hours ago, Telf said:

barney where are you doing these events at?

Hey Paul - mostly at RAFs Wethersfield CM7 4AZ or Debden CB10 2UX, and once a year at Stanta IP26 5EP.

They're an absolute hoot - you should come along.  I keep trying to persuade @jackherer too..

• Like 1

Telf

yeah I might actually once the pugs back on the road

barneys66
1 hour ago, Telf said:

yeah I might actually once the pugs back on the road

Brave man - I'd be paranoid about the smallest scratch!  But, they're mean to be driven..

Telf

not worried , like you say pointless owning a car and not driving it

• Like 2

barneys66

A few (mild) action shots from a photographer present:

45014929921_0529704203_o.jpg

43203994560_dbfbbea489_k.jpg

30079169077_d25a764c2d_k.jpg

44104195425_c1b029c819_k.jpg

45015236301_95d1d604b5_k.jpg

• Like 1

barneys66

Final round of the 2018 AMSC Autosolo Challenge today, and pleased to come away with second in class on the day, and second in class for the championship.

Who would have thought the cracked block from last year would have held on so long!  God bless Radweld; I'm tempted to leave it and see how long it lasts..

Roll on 2019!

30535495117_b029121dd3_h.jpg

• Like 2

barneys66

Pleased to say the 205 woke up from winter hibernation after a few turns of the key, and rolled outside for a clean / shakedown before the first autosolo of the season tomorrow.

32658893567_c11c592a61_b.jpg

And in even better news, my four-year hunt for a MOD.02 is over !!  Saw this rather crappy looking example pop up on eBay, thinking I'd recover it..

40635014603_8030c06018_b.jpg

..but after a couple of messages with the seller they said it was better than it looked so I took a punt, and boy I'm glad I did, as this arrived two days later:

47598686311_b8c4415507_b.jpg

Hard to believe it's the same wheel, but it's basically never been fitted and with only a couple of tiny marks.  Chuffed.  Wanted a two-spoke wheel in keeping with Phase 1, but the fact that it's black is triggering my neurosis, so the spokes may get a coat of grey in the near future, and all yellow bits replaced with red..

47601367361_3a426b9823_b.jpg

So, out with the old..

46877441864_7011b0f70a_b.jpg

..and in with the new. And if I don't place at the solo tomorrow it's coming out.. :lol:

47601613001_fe430fc433_b.jpg

Edited by barneys66
  • Like 1

jackherer

Very nice, it definitely suits the p1 dash a lot better than the old one.

Good luck with the autosolo tomorrow :)

• Thanks 1

barneys66
19 hours ago, jackherer said:

Very nice, it definitely suits the p1 dash a lot better than the old one.

Good luck with the autosolo tomorrow :)

Thanks @jackherer!  Well, the new wheel can stay; my day in pictures (as we're not allowed to take photos on the Base):

A bit too tight around one particular cone (don't look, @Telf :lol:)..

47555279592_02865da4b1_b.jpg

Got my monies worth out of these..

47555279702_f65b07dd64_b.jpg

..all of which resulted in the Class win :D

46884169144_cb6d55fc02_b.jpg

Knackered now, but car ran like a champ - a really enjoyable day and all four tests (20 runs) were nice and fast / well suited.

Anyone got a side-repeater for sale..? :wacko:

jackherer

Well done :)

I think I have a side repeater, I had to scroll up to an old photo to see which type you needed though!

• Thanks 1

barneys66
10 hours ago, jackherer said:

Well done :)

I think I have a side repeater, I had to scroll up to an old photo to see which type you needed though!

Thanks, and that would be great !!

Let me know ££