• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

barneys66

White 1987 Ph1 1.9 Gti For Road And Track Shenanigans..

barneys66

First off, please forgive anomalies or stupid questions that may follow me signing up here - what I know about 205s can be written on a pin head, but one thing's for sure I'm a true enthusiast so please bear with me as I get to know my car!

My wife knocked me for six when she told me she'd like to buy me a 205 GTi for my 40th birthday last year - a car I've always hankered after since my uncle owned a brand new one when I was an impressionable lad. So, after saying I was after a stock one, I ended up with one that was anything but!

It belonged to MrG on here (Andrew) and he was showing me what to look for when buying (we rented workshops next to each other), when I started to realise what a great fun car it looked. I also thought it would be a good way to get into local amateur motorsport (autosolos, club track days, etc) and a deal was done.

So, it's a rebuilt 1.9 (not the original motor) with twin 45s, big valve / polished head, Motorsport cam, custom H&H dizzy, competition clutch, AST struts, thicker ARBs, rebuilt rear beam with 309 trailing arms, Citroen C5 wheels with new Toyo R888s, six-point cage, etc, etc. Also came with loads of spares including a Megajolt setup for future upgrades. Was dyno'd after rebuild at 166bhp so it's quite lively!

Andrew cut me an amazing deal, given the amount of invoices he presented me with, plus ongoing offers of help, etc etc. To say I'm happy would be an understatement !!
In fact, we now share a workshop so he stills gets to see it most weeks.
Right, pics as bought;
DSC_0481_zpss4yuyclb.jpg
DSC_0480_zpsbs1a5fss.jpg
DSCN0201_zpsxoxhbxlj.jpeg
DSCN0212_zpsmldbhpok.jpeg
DSC_0501_zpsem01iiod.jpg

barneys66

I've got to say I prefer a stock-ish looking exterior, so off came the stickers, mirrors, etc - a quick polish and fettle later and here it is supporting our local motorsports club WSMC (West Suffolk Motor Club) at a promo day in Bury St Edmunds;

DSC_0011_zps5d3lspqx.jpg

I then got a hold of a set of refurbed Speedlines for road and autosolo use (which turned out to be 1 x Speedline and 3 x SMRs..);

DSC_0022_zpsnckws1m9.jpg

Soon after that I changed a few interior bits; matching pair of seats, red harnesses, Ph1 stalks, suede wheel (with red trim, naturally..), etc;

DSC_0221_zpsiqzoxxis.jpg

DSC_0224_zpsa1dhiafq.jpg

barneys66

Unfortunately, after a couple of months of fun, a winter tucked away, and my first autosolo early this year, it popped a head gasket and has been untouched ever since. A few other classics to maintain and a prolapsed disc in my back haven't helped matters, but getting onto this site is a big motivator to get it fixed and out in anger again.

Will clean up the engine bay and fit the Megajolt whilst it's out, and am contemplating a change to a 1.6 gearbox - any advice on that matter welcomed !!

Long term plans are to sort the rust bubbles properly, and mainly just to drive the wheels off the thing - it's not intended to be a show car, just a fun, raw toy that puts a smile on my face. Looking forward to getting to know this site and a few of you better - I'll keep the updates coming as and when anything interesting to post happens!

Cheers

barneys66

Oh, and here's a couple of videos Andrew sent me, should you be interested.

Fast forward to 4 mins and it'll come into view on this one;
No need to search this one!

jackherer

A 1.6 gearbox is a good move, ideally one with an LSD fitted ;)

barneys66

I'm listening..!

Is it a simple bolt across job, using all my existing stuff, half shafts, clutch, linkage, etc - do you have a link to a thread on here?

May have to go without LSD for now (budget, yawn), but do you happen to know of a good box for sale, Mr Jack..?

jackherer

If you get a BE1 gearbox it'll be a straight swap. The later BE3 'box (reverse below fifth as opposed to lift up by first) will go in but it wont be quite as straightforward.

I'm not sure what the implications for autosolos are, does it involve reversing? A BE3 might be worth the effort if it does.

I don't have one for sale, I'd post a wanted ad on here, it's good to buy gearboxes from someone trustworthy because there's nothing worse than fitting a gearbox then finding it clunks into second/third the first time you drive it.

calvinhorse

That's a bloody lovely looking car, looks great on the C5 wheels

barneys66

If you get a BE1 gearbox it'll be a straight swap. The later BE3 'box (reverse below fifth as opposed to lift up by first) will go in but it wont be quite as straightforward.

I'm not sure what the implications for autosolos are, does it involve reversing? A BE3 might be worth the effort if it does.

I don't have one for sale, I'd post a wanted ad on here, it's good to buy gearboxes from someone trustworthy because there's nothing worse than fitting a gearbox then finding it clunks into second/third the first time you drive it.

No need for reversing in autosolos (unless I really overcook it!) so sounds like a BE1 is the way forward, and will do on the wanted ad. Thanks again.

That's a bloody lovely looking car, looks great on the C5 wheels

Thanks! The pictures are very flattering; it's a little rough around the edges but that's good for me as I don't have to worry about it toooo much. Those C5s are incredibly light and, once again are less pretty up close, but I may get them refurbed/repainted as I like the look too (just don't want to put too many street miles on the R888s).

barneys66

Okay, so had some time on the car this week, following some time off for Jury Service (mind-crushingly dull experience..).

Time to sort the head gasket, but want to freshen up the engine bay, remove any unwanted bits (wiring, etc) now the car is on carbs, and fit the MegaJolt kit that came with the car..

Nothing too exciting to show, but the pics tell the story, starting with engine and gearbox out. Struts removed with driveshafts;

DSC_0519_zpsec4nsqhf.jpg

Quick degrease of the engine to make it more pleasant to work with;

DSC_0535_zpse5idlrb1.jpg

Seems like the accessory belt is cutting its own path here. Hmm;

DSC_0536_zpsbcagstxf.jpg

No. 3 shows obvious signs of a breach - check the gasket at the top of the pic;

DSC_0541_zpsdmmahe75.jpg

Head confirms the same;

DSC_0543_zpstdyd6usg.jpg

Corrosion (?) in head at point of breach - took the head to Ivor Searle and they think refacing will suffice. It's a worked head so I don't want to change;

DSC_0544_zpshkdjhvnj.jpg

So, whilst the head is off being machined, I busied myself with scraping gaskets and cleaning up the engine bay. Wheeled outside on a dolly;

DSC_0555_zpsirepwlw8.jpg

Before;

DSC_0556_zpsflqzlk6p.jpg

After;

DSC_0557_zpsfodytshi.jpg

That's it for now. Engine has been stripped back to a short block just to check it over, but will allow for paint and detailing - nothing too drastic, but might as well whilst it's apart.

More later..

roland rat

Looks very good for a car that's nearly 30 years old!

allanallen

On the gearbox front I'd strongly consider fitting a 4.4 final drive to your current box, it's a DIY job if you're handy with spanners (as you appear to be) and it will be a big improvement over a 1600 box for what you use the car for

barneys66

On the gearbox front I'd strongly consider fitting a 4.4 final drive to your current box, it's a DIY job if you're handy with spanners (as you appear to be) and it will be a big improvement over a 1600 box for what you use the car for

Tell me more please Allan..!

welshpug

1.6 used a 4.06 fd, 4.43 is obviously a bit shorter, quite a nice combo to use the gti gearset on the 4.43 FD.

allanallen

It'll give you slightly lower overall gearing than the 1600 box plus you won't have the awful 1-2nd jump.

It requires the crownwheel and pinion to be swapped for mi16 Items, theres some online guides or there are a few forum members that will take the job on. Have a search on here as it's all been covered before ;)

barneys66

1.6 used a 4.06 fd, 4.43 is obviously a bit shorter, quite a nice combo to use the gti gearset on the 4.43 FD.

It'll give you slightly lower overall gearing than the 1600 box plus you won't have the awful 1-2nd jump.

It requires the crownwheel and pinion to be swapped for mi16 Items, theres some online guides or there are a few forum members that will take the job on. Have a search on here as it's all been covered before ;)

Thanks guys - will have a browse over the weekend..!

205tunerke

Nice car man.

I personaly Mike the1.9 wheels more then the c5.

barneys66

Nice car man.

I personaly Mike the1.9 wheels more then the c5.

Thanks! Me too ;)

barneys66

Work continues at a glacial pace, but had some time at the workshop today doing some prep and painting, including trying out my blast cabinet for the first time (glass beads media).

So, from this;

DSC_0702_zpsl4mt25lo.jpg

..via this..

DSC_0703_zpsh7g8xsj0.jpg

..to this.

DSC_0712_zpsj2pur4sh.jpg

Also did some blasting of other parts - what you see is blasted only, clear lacquer to follow (or paint if it looks a bit bling). From this;

DSC_0716_zps0yfwy3ls.jpg

..to this. Compressor gave up halfway through - hopefully nothing serious!

DSC_0717_zpsfjz51weg.jpg

Also got to paint the head - excuse the half-assed masking; the machines surfaces have been stripped once more - will post a pic once later. This is the colour (XHT Grey) the block will be painted too, which will is understated but hopefully look clean and tidy.

DSC_0718_zpstqxyxgnj.jpg

Edited by barneys66

jackherer

That looks good but is there some damage to the downpipe flange on that manifold? Does it still tighten up OK like that? It's a shame as it is one of the later double braced manifolds and it looks to be in good un-cracked condition.

barneys66

That looks good but is there some damage to the downpipe flange on that manifold? Does it still tighten up OK like that? It's a shame as it is one of the later double braced manifolds and it looks to be in good un-cracked condition.

Yes - that was disappointing to find, but it seemed tight enough when it was undone and there was no gas escaping, so hopefully it'll nip back up again..

On the plus side the block is in great shape and I uncovered a baffled sump too! Any suggestions as to where the gasket should sit in that sandwich..?

barneys66

Block prepped and painted today

DSC_0723_zpsmztmziv2.jpg

Think I'll be looking for a new crank pulley (not my handiwork)..!

DSC_0725_zpsrdq1drqi.jpg

Thinking now that the blasted pieces are going to look a bit blingy - some of them may get blackened, but we'll see as I reassemble..

DSC_0726_zpsinja3acy.jpg

welshpug

Should have one of those pulleys, can't check till next week myself though, it'll be in dcc's garage if I do :D

barneys66

Thanks WP - let me know if you find a 4.4 FD too :D

On a serious note, I could do with a couple of flywheel/crank bolts should you have any spare..?

barneys66

Alarm removed and loom repaired - what a faff..

DSC_0746_zpsxwqewldv.jpg

DSC_0747_zpsnqtoycat.jpg