• Welcome to 205GTIDrivers.com!

Hello dear visitor! Feel free to browse but we invite you to register completely free of charge in order to enjoy the full functionality of the website.

Telf

[Car_Restoration] 205 Gr Project Car

Telf

within the family is unofficially called Project Ratbag

Telf

OMG

looking on HowManyLeft.com there are only 412 GRs left in the UK - so its rarer than my 1.9

Welding to commence in the next week!

Telf

small update - I thought I'd tackle the rust on the splash panel today

heres what it looked like- not too bad

post-21474-0-76058800-1439741651_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-61837200-1439741669_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-80633600-1439741686_thumb.jpg

Telf

After a few hours with a dremel, wire brush and some primer

That's my first attempt at any kind of de rusting - guess I will have to see how it goes- the larger holes are going to be welded next week

post-21474-0-99694700-1439741812_thumb.jpg

jackherer

Good work. What were the bumper fittings like? It can get expensive bolting a front bumper back onto a 205 if you need many new bits. Although I think the counterleafs are different on non-GTIs so if you can find some they might be less expensive.

Telf

not too clever mate - the bumper is cracked anyway and the bolts are rusty

Telf

I'm not sure if the anti rust stuff is any good- I got the worst off and applied the stuff - it went black as per instruction so I'm presuming it will be ok.

I used quite a few coats of anti rust and stuck 3 layers of primer on.

jackherer

Primer is porous so you need some paint on it even temporarily if it lives outside.

Telf

well I cant paint it until Tuesday so hopefully it wont rain - or be damp!

its now covered with a tarp- should be ok

Edited by Telf

Telf

Well having seen the weather forecast I thought I'd better spray it before a day of rain- turned out ok

post-21474-0-01542500-1439916494_thumb.jpg

Telf

welding tomorrow- new inner wing! - hopefully can MOT it!

Telf

Does anybody else have a rust issue on both sides of the sill just forward of the fuel tank?

There is a V type section that on both my 205's is quite heavily rusted - I'm concerned that it may be an MOT failure and also what other horror is hiding under the fuel tank!

I'm sort of thinking it might be worth taking the tanks out but I've no experience and have no idea how long a job ii is to do - can any one advise further?

I can probably afford to have the car off the road for a week at most

Thank you

jackherer

Apart from rusty jubilee rings the tank is pretty easy to remove (as long as it doesn't have much fuel in it!)

You definitely need to drop it down, that's /the/ place for hidden rust on 205s.

Telf

OK well I guess I could give it a go whilst the weather is fine- are there any 'special' replacement parts I might need - bolts etc so I can get it back in place with minimum hassle?

jackherer

You'll definitely need new jubilee rings, the old ones normally look like they've been submerged in the ocean for a while. It's only held on to the bodyshell by two nuts on studs, as long as they don't shear it's a pretty simple job.

Anthony

While you've got the tank off, check the brake lines that run next to / above it - they're normally pretty grim if they're original.

Telf

Well I will get round to the tank in the next few weeks - heres an update of the weekends work.

First off the Inner wing welding!

So I decided not to try welding it myself - as a result I found a mobile welder who came to the house and did it- I think the results are pretty good. I also got offered a welder that he was selling so I am buying that for future use!

Its a complete new plate sitting in/on the remains of the old

post-21474-0-72191600-1440344809_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-88322900-1440344845_thumb.jpg

post-21474-0-90130900-1440344857_thumb.jpg

Edited by Telf

Telf

Heres the view underneath - I had to paint it quick as rain was forecast- good job I did because its pouring down here!!

Once it stops I will Seal it all up with some panel seal - and generally make it look better!

post-21474-0-23524200-1440345097_thumb.jpg

Edited by Telf

Telf

Next up was putting the interior back in - it was all taken out so I could make sure the floor wasn't rotten.

As the drivers side sound proofing fell to bits when it came out I decided to be a bit DIY and made a replacement out of 3 layers of old carpet- dunno if it will work but I'm from Yorkshire so have to save money if at all possible :D

post-21474-0-40826300-1440345313_thumb.jpg

Telf

The rear panel badges have also been refurbished with some paint and lacquer- they have come up quite well

post-21474-0-75332700-1440345943_thumb.jpg

Telf

Now a general request!

We (myself and my kid) think the car should be kept as original as possible( GR badge not withstanding- although I kind of like it in Red!)

If anybody still has the seats shown in storage or something and they would like to sell them please let me know- im also looking for the front door cards!

post-21474-0-20148000-1440346079_thumb.jpg

Telf

Here is a close up of the pattern

post-21474-0-29420800-1440346232_thumb.jpg

Telf

Well that's it for the time being - hoping to get it back on the road by the end of September -maybe - hopefully - cos I need my driveway back!